Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-04-2002, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.superstockforum.com/showt...0&threadid=736

I was reading this and it kinda makes sense but at the same time it kinda does not. Maybe you guys could explain it better.

Chad Dammen

Old 03-04-2002, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.superstockforum.com/showt...0&threadid=736

I was reading this and it kinda makes sense but at the same time it kinda does not. Maybe you guys could explain it better.

Chad Dammen

Old 03-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're saying that a given amount of work(hp) created during the combustion process is being used to accelarate the reciprocating assembly-increase rpm. The HP used depend on the weight of the assembly and the rate of the rpm increase. For example if you want to pull a wagon how heavy it is and how fast you want to pull it greatly determine how hard it's going to be for you to do. From this line of thought comes the notion of running the lightest reciprocating assembly you are able. Most who have switched out TRW piston to a lightweight forging will attest to how much faster the engine seems to rpm. Now there wasn't a horsepower increase due to increased cylinder pressures, but yet the tires will see a net gain and the engine will rev faster as there is a reduced net HP loss due to the lighter reciprocating assembly. On the other hand as others noted in the forum, a flipside is to run a heavier flywheel thus robbing some initial HP on a slippery track. The heavier the object the more inertia(in this case the objects tendency to remain at rest) it has and therefore more HP it will take to accelarate. This HP isn't completely lost however, as the energy can be recaptured on the ensuing shift and corresponding rpm drop. The wheel will now have greater inertia in motion(it's resistance to deccelarating) and thus aid in power transfer to the wheels. When your motor was on Lines dyno they established the HP number they gave you at a given accelaration increase or perhaps they loaded the motor to the point of no accelaration-thus the 842hp, ha ha ha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The thing is results can vary from operator to operator and as mentioned what the engine will like in the car may very well be different from what it likes on the dyno-unless you have a good idea of the acceleration rate in the vehicle. Here's a real world scenario that bears most of this out with my car. I ran an 8" ATI converter that upon leave was immediately at 6500rpm. The tach neither climbed nor dropped all the way down the track-thus no power was used to accelarate the engine. Next converter a 10" Continental. It leaves at 3200rpm, drops to 5200rpm on the 1-2, and slightly under 6000rpm on the 2-3. Tight converter, good for Pontiacs right? Loose slippery converter showing 14% slip causing huge power loss right? The 8" ATI et'd greater than 2 tenths better and with more tuning to lower the slip at the end of the track it would do better yet. I don't use it because it's annoying as hell on the street and I like to drive the car but it does illustrate the point they're making. Hope this helps.