Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-04-2002, 05:01 PM

Okay here goes.....we are taking the car to the track on Saturday to shake-down the new items.

With the old set-up the car went 10.79@125.5 (1.64 60ft.) on the motor.
and 9.54@142.9 on a 200 shot. (91/82 Pills on a dominator plate @6lbs fuel and 9 degrees pulled with a timing retard box)
ALWAYS safe on timing, fuel press. and octane (not what I call tuning aids!)
Passes were at a good track in August in Texas and real air temp was between 89-92 degrees.

The Kauffman E-heads flow 321@6000 and the bottom end is set- for NOS, wide ring gaps, 110 centerline cam, 34 total timing just to make sure we stay on the low side, 6.625 rods to reduce dwell time, etc. The rest of the car is NOS friendly as well with a VERY tight 3500 stall, 3.73 gears, no-trans-brake, tight .033 plug gaps, NGK -9's (never changed to a diff. gap or plug for motor passes.

We went shopping to upgrade a STOCK suspension, SSM Bars and a flowmaster 3 inch exhaust. (The entire exhaust system was 18 inches of 3 inch pipe into 2 chamber offset in/out flowmasters(early style bought in 1993)

The shopping list included:
Cal-Tracs - $333.00
Landrum Springs - $288.00
Moroso Front Springs - $90.00
Koni one front shocks - $155.00
Dr.Gas Entire 3 1/2" x and mandrel system- $250.00
New True 10.5 Slicks (a noticeable downsize from the old 11.5's that car ran numbers on)$400.00

With shipping a little over $1500.00 in goodies added.

For our first trip to the track we have installed entire exhaust system and done the front end and set Koni's on lightest setting and put on the 10.5's with screws and no tubes. (The Cal-Tracs and landrums are waiting as the entire mix may have left us scratching our heads.)

ALSO we found three things:
A. The torque strap on the car was left off so we re-installed it.
B. The exhaust had cones off the collector flanges that necked the system down to 2 1'2" as it went into the exhaust pipe.
C. The dominator throttle bracket was slightly keeping us from WOT.(Maybe 2% loss)

So we fixed these things as well.

And now we go to the track expecting a bit more humidity but a temperature decrease of about 20 degrees.

What do you guys expect??
Honestly I think that with the smaller tire the entire rest of the gains will be a combined LOSS.

I expect that the car will run a few hundreths slower even with a better exhaust, suspension, WOT, cooler weather and a torque strap.
Just feel the loss of traction will be greater than net gains of other upgrades. (of course WOT is the wildcard!)

I would like some input and ideas for at track tuning and I will update all the passes if weather permits our trip.
Game Plan is to go 1/8th mile motor and if all feels well go 1/8th mile NOS and then let it rip a couple times. (BE WE KNOW HOW PLANS GO!!)

Thanks EVERYBODY (junki, Taylor, Kid, Steve, Dude, ETC ETC) for all your help with this round of upgrades!!

Old 03-04-2002, 05:01 PM

Okay here goes.....we are taking the car to the track on Saturday to shake-down the new items.

With the old set-up the car went 10.79@125.5 (1.64 60ft.) on the motor.
and 9.54@142.9 on a 200 shot. (91/82 Pills on a dominator plate @6lbs fuel and 9 degrees pulled with a timing retard box)
ALWAYS safe on timing, fuel press. and octane (not what I call tuning aids!)
Passes were at a good track in August in Texas and real air temp was between 89-92 degrees.

The Kauffman E-heads flow 321@6000 and the bottom end is set- for NOS, wide ring gaps, 110 centerline cam, 34 total timing just to make sure we stay on the low side, 6.625 rods to reduce dwell time, etc. The rest of the car is NOS friendly as well with a VERY tight 3500 stall, 3.73 gears, no-trans-brake, tight .033 plug gaps, NGK -9's (never changed to a diff. gap or plug for motor passes.

We went shopping to upgrade a STOCK suspension, SSM Bars and a flowmaster 3 inch exhaust. (The entire exhaust system was 18 inches of 3 inch pipe into 2 chamber offset in/out flowmasters(early style bought in 1993)

The shopping list included:
Cal-Tracs - $333.00
Landrum Springs - $288.00
Moroso Front Springs - $90.00
Koni one front shocks - $155.00
Dr.Gas Entire 3 1/2" x and mandrel system- $250.00
New True 10.5 Slicks (a noticeable downsize from the old 11.5's that car ran numbers on)$400.00

With shipping a little over $1500.00 in goodies added.

For our first trip to the track we have installed entire exhaust system and done the front end and set Koni's on lightest setting and put on the 10.5's with screws and no tubes. (The Cal-Tracs and landrums are waiting as the entire mix may have left us scratching our heads.)

ALSO we found three things:
A. The torque strap on the car was left off so we re-installed it.
B. The exhaust had cones off the collector flanges that necked the system down to 2 1'2" as it went into the exhaust pipe.
C. The dominator throttle bracket was slightly keeping us from WOT.(Maybe 2% loss)

So we fixed these things as well.

And now we go to the track expecting a bit more humidity but a temperature decrease of about 20 degrees.

What do you guys expect??
Honestly I think that with the smaller tire the entire rest of the gains will be a combined LOSS.

I expect that the car will run a few hundreths slower even with a better exhaust, suspension, WOT, cooler weather and a torque strap.
Just feel the loss of traction will be greater than net gains of other upgrades. (of course WOT is the wildcard!)

I would like some input and ideas for at track tuning and I will update all the passes if weather permits our trip.
Game Plan is to go 1/8th mile motor and if all feels well go 1/8th mile NOS and then let it rip a couple times. (BE WE KNOW HOW PLANS GO!!)

Thanks EVERYBODY (junki, Taylor, Kid, Steve, Dude, ETC ETC) for all your help with this round of upgrades!!

Old 03-04-2002, 09:52 PM

have usedcal tracs on customers cars they worked good. i put a set of tricity comp. leaf springs (expensivebut worth it) in my 3500 lb 67 bird going 10.90 11.00 has 149 to 154 60 ft times. no other traction devices on springs stock eliminator cars use theses springs .

Old 03-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think you were spinning a little before the changes . Your 60 fts. should have been in the 1.40's.