Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-31-2021, 08:55 AM

Default Harrison Radiator Repair

I am looking for someone that can recore my Harrison radiator in my 76 T/A. I checked with Roppel Industry's and they no longer do repairs. Is there any go to people out there who still repair/recore?

Thanks

Old 08-31-2021, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This page lists several potential places in Indianapolis: https://in.allpages.com/indianapolis...s-tank-repair/

Probably further away, but this company has several locations i Illinois: https://www.rexradiator.com/classic-car-radiators/

Old 08-31-2021, 09:02 AM
Senior Chief

hard to come by as it is probably not cost friendly compared to buying a better radiator and drop it in.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There’s a few here in Detroit., I had mine done a few back, Take your 2 tags off before you send it in. They may get lost. They just clip on.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ship it to Ed Larson in Norway Michigan if you want it like a new original piece.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the recommendations and advice. I'm going to start with the Indianapolis shops. I'm in southern Indiana.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:15 AM

Ship it to Ed Larson in Norway Michigan if you want it like a new original piece.

That is exactly what I want
Thank you.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:38 AM
Boost Engineer

I have had Superior Radiator do several Radiators for me over the years.
Radiators with higher fin counts, like Circle Track cars use that must use a stock appearing radiator.

Info in Picture Below. Charlie is the owner.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUPERIOR RADIATOR  MT CLEMENS MI.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	572212  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 08-31-2021 at 09:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rad

Call Ed and let him know what you want. Keep the tags on it since he'll braze them back into place. He will also use your original channels and tanks. He doesn't paint them which is good since most prefer to do that themselves. Take different angle pictures to replicate your own paint.
Oh and tell him Brian sent yah

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniearlta View Post

That is exactly what I want
Thank you.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ropppel's over in Louisville did mine.... Did a very good job. They still do them - i just talked to them last week. You need the Decimal Drive location.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had my original recored, runs cool as a cucumber. 95% of the people just buy new ones so they don't realize just how good a recored OEM radiator works. Pricey though, paid about $550 for mine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

COPPER > aluminum at ability to transfer heat.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
COPPER > aluminum at ability to transfer heat.
Don't say that, people won't believe you cause to the touch aluminum "heats up faster".

Old 08-31-2021, 08:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Actual cooling capability is based on "Fin Count per inch", not on the basic material used to make the radiator. Same deal with square inches of frontal area of the core and number
of cores forming the radiator. 2 core used in some aluminum radiators, 3 core used in most normal automotive radiators, 4 core used in A/C applications, and 5 core for off-road use in the desert. Some off road trucks actually mount the radiator in the bed in a high airflow area vs in the grill where it could be damaged easily by flying material from another race vehicle.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had my 4 core original Harrison recored with the desert core….some place on Long Island NY….like 550.00 .I’ll have to look up my slips. But I’ve Nevah had a problem with it….going on 5 years now

Old 08-31-2021, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

21 years on mine, still good. Company here in the D

Old 08-31-2021, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Razzi radiator in PA did mine recently. Did a really good job and though I haven’t used it yet it looks just like original .

There’s a guy in LI who does a great job also can’t remember the name right now but I can probably find it.

If originality isn’t needed or wanted check out Eastwood they have what’s supposed to be a New design for the flow that keeps things cooler . Think it’s called 3 pass haven’t used one myself but a few people have and liked them.

I dont know if it’s the same as with and intercooler but fin count isn’t everything (though it certainly does matter) in that case, how it tumbles the air is also important. I do know that with house plumbing (same
Basic fluid dynamics) simply leaving a ridge on a pipe end from its cut can turbulate the water so badly that it will actually wear holes in copper pipe. (This is why you MUST ream a pipe after cutting it) This same turbulence may be a bonus in a radiator, I’d look into that as well.

In an intercooler as the air tumbles it transfers more heat. air and water are “basically” the same fluid when it comes to heat transfer.

Hope this info helps someone along the way.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!

Last edited by turbo69bird; 08-31-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Laminar flow vs Turbulent flow. In general heat exchangers work better with turbulent flow, as laminar flow creates a boundary layer on the surface of the tube inhibiting the exchange of heat.

Not sure how much it applies to vintage radiators with the very flat thin passages, as they would barely have room to develop boundary layers.

On the fin count .... look at some of the WWII radial air cooled plane engines ... jeez the number and thinness of the fins they managed to cast in their cylinders is amazing. I would have never thought that increasing the fin count to that level would help ... but it does. Evidently more is definitely better.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	FBD002EF-3B6A-4235-B4D1-1CA9B700B22C.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	572332

These guys ...quick turn around ...no problems ... 5 years now.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Actual cooling capability is based on "Fin Count per inch", not on the basic material used to make the radiator. Same deal with square inches of frontal area of the core and number
of cores forming the radiator. 2 core used in some aluminum radiators, 3 core used in most normal automotive radiators, 4 core used in A/C applications, and 5 core for off-road use in the desert. Some off road trucks actually mount the radiator in the bed in a high airflow area vs in the grill where it could be damaged easily by flying material from another race vehicle.

Tom V.
With all due respect to fin and area contact technology, this Can Not side step the facts of science. A modern fin count Copper radiator can way outperform Aluminum.
Oddly enough it corrodes less too !
"AL" has to have almost Twice the surface area to Perform the same as a "CU" radiator of the same exact type and size.
Plastic side tanks on modern radiators.. listed below, not worth much to help rid the unit of heat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Metal conductivity.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	572337  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 09-02-2021 at 06:39 PM.