Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to rick c
Default 69 firebird v8 clutch return spring extension

Hello I am trying to organize a group buy for 68-69 firebird clutch return spring extension for vehicles with Pontiac v8s . the original part# was 9785884 and was supersceded by 9789817 (which ever came first). they make them for 6 cylinder and small block cars but not Pontiac v8 cars. Hopefully we get enough response for Admin 5 or Ccas to look into it. thank you
rick craffey

Old 10-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick c View Post
Hello I am trying to organize a group buy for 68-69 firebird clutch return spring extension for vehicles with Pontiac v8s . the original part# was 9785884 and was supersceded by 9789817 (which ever came first). they make them for 6 cylinder and small block cars but not Pontiac v8 cars. Hopefully we get enough response for Admin 5 or Ccas to look into it. thank you
rick craffey
Rick,

I'm in for a pair of these if you can have them made for a reasonable price. Do you have an original one to use as a pattern? My problem is I don't have an original to copy. From diagrams I've seen, they look pretty simple. We could probably have some hand bent that would be pretty accurate. I think all it would take is one of those wire bending tools.

Regards,
OJ

Old 10-06-2016, 09:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to rick c
Default return spring extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
Rick,

I'm in for a pair of these if you can have them made for a reasonable price. Do you have an original one to use as a pattern? My problem is I don't have an original to copy. From diagrams I've seen, they look pretty simple. We could probably have some hand bent that would be pretty accurate. I think all it would take is one of those wire bending tools.

Regards,
OJ
Hello OJ
Unfortunately I don't have one for someone to copy. With some luck somebody on this forum has one.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Default clutch return spring extension

I need one also.Maybe Mark S. or Matt has one to copy?

Old 10-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the original one from my T/A that could be used as a pattern if you could convince someone like Norwood to copy it and make sure mine is retuned.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Schab View Post
I have the original one from my T/A that could be used as a pattern if you could convince someone like Norwood to copy it and make sure mine is retuned.
That's a might generous offer and I hope you and Rick can make this happen. I do however have something for you all to consider as well. When I look at the diagram from the master parts manual it really does look pretty simple.

If for some reason you and Rick can't make this work, maybe just some close up pictures and some dimensions would do the trick along with the diameter of the wire.... I really think I could bend my own if I had that info, but I would still be happy to pay a reasonable price for someone else to make an exact copy or two for me.

Thanks so much for helping in this cause.

OJ

Old 10-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be interested too.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you guys are referring to this return spring bracket that bolts to the sub-frame on a 69 Firebird, a high quality reproduction has already been done. The correct style return spring is NOT available anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07052.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	438431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07053.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	438432  

Old 10-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was talking about the wire extension that goes between the spring and that bracket.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Judge View Post
If you guys are referring to this return spring bracket that bolts to the sub-frame on a 69 Firebird, a high quality reproduction has already been done. The correct style return spring is NOT available anywhere.
That's not what we are referring to. The clutch return spring has a piece of formed wire (sort of like a hook) that attaches to one end of it. The wire is spring steel and formed. No-one makes it for a 1st gen V8 Firebird, though you can get the Chevy version and 6 cyl pontiac version (those might even be the same).

The link below shows it. Scroll down to Page 30, item #11.

http://www.teufert.net/partbook/67-76/0-i.pdf

Regards,
OJ

Old 12-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Resurrecting this .. how about some pics?

Folks,

I'm bringing this back up as I really need one of these clutch return spring extensions. All I need is a few photos of different angles along side a 12" ruler so I know how big to make the bends. That will allow me to make at least one for myself and maybe more.

So, please, anyone who has an original part, please help us all out with some photos with dimensions.

Thanks
OJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
That's not what we are referring to. The clutch return spring has a piece of formed wire (sort of like a hook) that attaches to one end of it. The wire is spring steel and formed. No-one makes it for a 1st gen V8 Firebird, though you can get the Chevy version and 6 cyl pontiac version (those might even be the same).

The link below shows it. Scroll down to Page 30, item #11.

http://www.teufert.net/partbook/67-76/0-i.pdf

Regards,
OJ

Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did anyone make one for them self yet?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 AM

I'm also interested in seeing pics/dimensions. Will be assembling all this stuff in the coming months on my 68.. Thanks in advance for your help...

Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8liveson View Post
I'm also interested in seeing pics/dimensions. Will be assembling all this stuff in the coming months on my 68.. Thanks in advance for your help...
Here is a thread started with some pictures and where I'm headed.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=804117

Old 12-12-2023, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Extension

Anything ever come of this?