Old 09-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 72 side rocker panel trim install question

Once you screw your four clips to the rocker panel, how do you install the molding onto them? It seems the clips are too wide to slide it on and I have a hard time seeing how you force it over the clips.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rocker molding hooks onto the top edge of the clips. There are two additional clips that hook onto the bottom edge of the molding, those 2 clips are then screwed to the bottom of the rocker panel.
2 chrome philips head screws, one front & one rear. If you're lucky you still have the nylon spacer for the rear philips screw.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car didn't have moldings when I bought it. It did have less than half the clips in a box of parts. So, I bought new moldings and a clip set from our sponsor. The set has four smaller clips and two long clips (about 8" long), but I don't know where those long ones go. I can see the small clips have a tongue that fits in a rocker hole and the top hole screws to a small hole. but, that clip is too big for the upper and lower part of that small clip to fit in rocker. So, are you saying only the top of that clip fits into rocker molding (basically hanging on those clips? Then the long ones somehow fit into the bottom? Rocker panels have four holes top (about 1/8")and bottom (about 5/16") . I don't see where the bottom long clips could screw to line up with bottom of rocker. I do also have the rear hole for direct screw to rocker as well as the front I have the plastic clip for the slot in fender.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:37 AM
Senior Chief

You described half a set. This is what you need. Long clips bolt to the frame, should be holes there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a post showing the factory drawing for installation.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...olding+install

The long clips hook onto to the lower lip of the molding & you then hang the molding from the top edge of the clips that are screwed to the side of the rocker panel.
You should see two 1/8" holes drilled on the bottom side of the rocker panel, slide the long clips forward/backward on the molding until it lines up with the holes. If your car never had factory installed moldings you may have to drill these holes.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you. That makes sense. I'll look at the underside to see if I see them. This car did come with molding originally, since there are holes for the clips in the sides. My kit has all the hardware shown by DavesGTO. But, I thought there were four of the rectangular plastic inserts. I'll recheck. Maybe there were two round spacers in there and two rectangular to fit in front fender slots Thanks again, my assembly manual didn't show this.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok. I have the bottom holes in rocker, so I got it figured out now. But, as in the pic DavesGTO posted, it shows the kit with four plastic inserts. They are like mine, but in his one pic it looks like there are two round spacers with no square protrusion. Is this correct? Do you need to shave off the square portion to shorten them up? The rear area of my rocker has no rectangular hole to accept those. Just a hole. It seems the molding would stick out a bunch in the rear if the protruding square part stayed.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Senior Chief

The small ones with the protrusion fit into the fenders, the larger round flat ones go behind the molding at the rear quarter.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave as I look at your upper right previous pic, it shows all the same plastic clips (4). All have the protruding square. Where do the flat round ones come from. Does one have to special order those in another kit?

Old 09-07-2020, 07:42 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, the kit in the photo below that one. Usually between $10 - $12 on ebay

Old 09-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand why they put four of the front fender style in the kit if you only use two. I'll make two at work or rework the other two to work.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
I don't understand why they put four of the front fender style in the kit if you only use two. I'll make two at work or rework the other two to work.
The same reason that they sell this '70 GTO rear valance mounting bracket kit with 5 support brackets even though GM only used one when they built these cars. They just don't know any better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-72-Pon...sAAOSwbYZXVf-I