Old 12-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That auction for the '71 I make mention of, ended this afternoon. High bid was $21,600.00. Reserve not met. Last time it listed, high bid was $28,000.00. I think we'll be seeing it again on ebay. I just finished reading an article in a GTO publication that the author stated GTO prices have stabilized; maybe even come down some. What is the consensus of opinion here?? Thanks, Carmine.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's a good looking 71 30 minutes from you, very good price if it is what they say.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that '71 on ebay is listed on their own website for 37K. being a bigger dealer, not likely much wiggle room in that price. looking around their site a little, it's one of the lower priced cars they have, to boot. someone with too much money will end up with it eventually.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
I don't believe the interior color determined the stripe color.
Based on? Have you even owned any of these cars? The two factory D98 cars I've have owned as well as others in this forum who I've spoken with about this topic before have the same striping color scheme. While it would be nice to have, sometimes it's not all about a piece of factory documentation that has to be produced.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Based on?
Based on:

1. The default stripe colors for 1972 that John Wallace posted had nothing to do with the interior color.

2. The default 1970 Judge stripe colors you posted had nothing to do with the interior color.

3. Since there were other interior colors besides black or white (below), how do you reconcile the fact that neither stripe choice matches most other interior colors?

4. Black or white match any color, so either stripe choice generally would work for any color aside of black or white.

5. There are plenty of instances of of cars with white interiors and black stripes, and vice versa.

Quote:
Have you even owned any of these cars?
Ownership is moot in this discussion.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Based on:

1. The default stripe colors for 1972 that John Wallace posted had nothing to do with the interior color.
I'm referencing a stripe option that was available in two colors in 71.
Quote:
2. The default 1970 Judge stripe colors you posted had nothing to do with the interior color.
Try again, actually it was a 71 I posted, not a 70.
Quote:
3. Since there were other interior colors besides black or white (below), how do you reconcile the fact that neither stripe choice matches most other interior colors?
Again, not sure on the interior colors outside black or sandalwood/ivory for 71.
Quote:
4. Black or white match any color, so either stripe choice generally would work for any color aside of black or white.
Of course
Quote:
5. There are plenty of instances of of cars with white interiors and black stripes, and vice versa.
Can you otherwise show any instances of this with any 71 Non-Judges D98 cars? Please do. I can but this is way off topic here and not worth it at this point.
Quote:
Ownership is moot in this discussion.
Disagree, owners typically take the time to research what they have, especially when trying focusing on getting their cars right.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm referencing a stripe option that was available in two colors in 71.
That's correct, but did you notice the '72 stripe choices didn't specify an interior color?

Quote:
Try again, actually it was a 71 I posted, not a 70.
Regardless, my point still stands - Pontiac didn't specify an interior color for the Judge stripes for any year.

Quote:
Can you otherwise show any instances of this with any 71 Non-Judges D98 cars?
Never paid attention to the interior colors because they've never been a factor in my mind.

Quote:
Disagree, owners typically take the time to research what they have, especially when trying focusing on getting their cars right.
Plenty of people own cars and are full of it.

Likewise, plenty of people don't own certain cars but enjoy the minutiae.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
this is still on craigslist. did you ever get to see it?

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5859235329.html

Beautiful, fully restored GTO in tropical lime green, a complet numbers matching car, 242 vin, a true must see. Call joe 845 629-6234
I did put a call in last night, left message and my phone number, but haven't heard back yet. If we can make contact, I would definitely go see it. That is a different color; especially for me. I don't recall seeing it before, but it is a stock color, Carmine.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to concede to Diego's point regarding the stripe color on the early 71 eyebrow stripes being based on paint color versus interior. Nothing I can find in any of the factory literature or parts manuals suggest either but for other years it does. Also going through old pics I have of original early 71 D98 cars there are cars with black interiors with the white stripes.

Here is what I have from pics and other forum members here:

Starlight Black - red/white
Cameo White - red/black
Quezal Gold - red/black
Canyon Copper - red/white
Castillian Bronze - red/white
Aztec Gold - red/white

That is best effort

Old 12-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do know a Mopar that determined the default stripe color based on the interior (as a secondary consideration):

Old 12-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

Tripower,
My Tropical Lime GT-37 had red/white stripes on it originally. It has Dark Jade green interior.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigGT37 View Post
Tripower,
My Tropical Lime GT-37 had red/white stripes on it originally. It has Dark Jade green interior.
Would you happen to have a pic of it?? Thanks, Carmine.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:43 AM

Default 71 GTO

Heres another 71 Portland, Or. CL. Not mineost id: 5857870014

Old 12-19-2016, 12:44 AM

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5857870014.html

Old 12-19-2016, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little Photoshop and the Rosewood car now has Red/White stripes, which looks a hundred times better, in my opinion. Especially with the white GTO decals.

When I redo my Rosewood car it's getting red/white stripes instead of red/black. (unless some positive documentation shows up to make me go red/black)

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eiseman View Post
Thanks John. That appears to be a very nice car. Very good price in my opinion. A lot done to it. I do like it. I wouldn't rule it out, but Oregon?? Hmmm............

Let me ask this also. Chances are good that when I do find one I want, it won't be in my backyard. With my luck, it will be a healthy distance away; such as this one. I would never fly to Portland to personally inspect the car, so either a knowledgeable club member or professional inspector would have to look at it. If everything was in order and you agreed to buy the car at a given price, how do or would you arrange payment??? I know the majority of owners want full payment before the car leaves their property, but that leaves someone like me with nothing. The owner in Portland will have my car and money and me in NY has nothing. I'm just not comfortable with doing it this way. Is there something like an escrow account that can be established to keep everyone honest?? How do others do this?? I've bought cars before a distance away and always sent full payment. Admittedly, it was a leap of faith. I had no problems but I don't feel like rolling the dice again. I would really like to hear from others re. this issue. Thank you, Carmine.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:49 PM

Ive seen this car off and on CL for maybe 6 monthes or more. If your interested in the car after talking to the owner, I can take a close look for you as time permits.Ive owned one 72 GTO post car and know a bit about them.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eiseman View Post
Ive seen this car off and on CL for maybe 6 monthes or more. If your interested in the car after talking to the owner, I can take a close look for you as time permits.Ive owned one 72 GTO post car and know a bit about them.
Thank you very much John. I may take you up on that, Carmine.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigGT37 View Post
Tripower,
Thanks Craig! Keeping a running list:

Tropical Lime Green - red/white
Cameo White - red/black
Quezal Gold - red/black
Aztec Gold - red/white

Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks Craig! Keeping a running list:

Tropical Lime Green - red/white
Cameo White - red/black
Quezal Gold - red/black
Aztec Gold - red/white
Have to ask because I'm going to be looking at a '71 GTO, tropical lime green, soon. Are the above stripes just for GT-37 or could they be ordered on a GTO?? Would anyone have a pic of the red/white stripe on a tropical lime green car they could post please. Thank you, Carmine.