Old 12-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Just confused?

You brought it up? No interest? .
Don't like color? Don't like price?

Like I said before, good luck with search...

Yes, dealers are dreamers of suckers with stupid money. If thats the point. I agree.
Correct. I did bring it up. I've looked at dozens and dozens and dozens of GTO's. Every once in a while, one might pique my interest and I mention it here hoping to get a candid opinion/assessment of the car. I can live with their critique. Afterall, I did ask and I sincerely appreciate everyone's time and effort. I have owned 3 in the past, but I'm sure many here have forgotten more then I'll ever know. So, I rely very much on what is said in an attempt to establish a baseline of what a car or cars might be worth based on what is provided by the seller and viewed by members.
I'm not in love with this particular car, but I do like it. The color is ok but I don't think the black vinyl top is a compliment at all. Crazy as it sounds, I like the stripes. It's attraction to me is that it's gives the appearance of being completely restored from top to bottom. If I liked the car even more and did make an offer, I'm thinking maybe $26-$27,000.00 tops. I do believe it might be a moot point. They were asking $37,000.00 and refused $28,000.00. As I mentioned previously, I've seen other nice ones and they were asking $30,000.00. But that was asking price. Who knows what they might settle for. Nothing has really jumped out at me yet. I enjoy looking so I'll stay with it for now.
Yes, dealers are dreamers who do think they can ask for and get what they want for a vehicle. In some cases, that may very well be true. But, we also reserve the right to decline and find something else, Carmine.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Carmine,
After reading their description of the car's attributes, I noted these things:
They did not mention matching numbers but did mention correct engine and trans. They also mentioned " appears to be" a couple of times. That wording lets them off the hook if not actual correct and original components. As far as the paint and from actual experience with my 71 recent purchase; photos can definitely hide alot of flaws.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
Carmine,
After reading their description of the car's attributes, I noted these things:
They did not mention matching numbers but did mention correct engine and trans. They also mentioned " appears to be" a couple of times. That wording lets them off the hook if not actual correct and original components. As far as the paint and from actual experience with my 71 recent purchase; photos can definitely hide alot of flaws.
Thanks West Coast GTO. Yes, their verbiage can be a caveat. I don't have any interest to increase my bid on this car, so it will be interesting to see how this auction ends. In the mean time, I'll just keep looking which I enjoy doing. When the right one appears, I'll know it.

You mention your recent '71 purchase and photos hiding flaws. I'm just curious, did you not have a good purchasing experience?? What would you have done differently?? Thanks, Carmine.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is first car (and definitely the last) that I bought without sending an inspector or flying direct to see the car for myself. Although the car is solid and mostly all there, there were a few surprises that I would have negotiated the price down for. The most expensive will be the repaint of the front fenders, nose, valence and hood. Paint is beautifully finished BUT the poor quality prep work has created paint lifting/ bubbles that I cannot tolerate. None of the photos or the description of the car indicates any of these areas of concern.
My fault for not inspecting/ seeing for myself.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
This is first car (and definitely the last) that I bought without sending an inspector or flying direct to see the car for myself. Although the car is solid and mostly all there, there were a few surprises that I would have negotiated the price down for. The most expensive will be the repaint of the front fenders, nose, valence and hood. Paint is beautifully finished BUT the poor quality prep work has created paint lifting/ bubbles that I cannot tolerate. None of the photos or the description of the car indicates any of these areas of concern.
My fault for not inspecting/ seeing for myself.
Thanks for sharing. I bought 2 cars without seeing them myself or having an inspector take a look. Certainly a leap of faith. They turned out OK for me. When I bought my '62 SS 409 located in Alabama, it was much more money and I hired an inspector to take a look. Their office was in Montgomery, Alabama, and I liked their website. Many good testimonials. Fee was $250.00. They did their inspection and sent me a written report along with 104 pics. Had the car delivered to me in NY and it was as described. I put it on my lift and went over it myself. It was very nice underneath due to undercoating and that Southern weather. Checked out the interior and the radio didn't work nor did the ww. How could you have missed this?? So simple. It's right there. So, the moral of the story is, go see the car yourself. No one is going to be more critical then you.

The '71 GTO mentioned in these threads, has been removed from its ebay auction. Don't know why. The listing wasn't due to expire until this Saturday. I was still high bidder. Oh well. Might be an omen, Carmine.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's still there and still says matching numbers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Pontiac...3D142204703739

Old 12-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
It's still there and still says matching numbers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Pontiac...3D142204703739
That is strange as hell. I got an email from ebay saying the car had been removed from auction consideration. I clicked onto their message and a "cancelled" sign diagonally in the corner appeared. Hmmm.....................I had emailed these folks 5 days ago about the availability of PHS documentation. It was a simple yes or no. Haven't heard back. They certainly aren't customer driven. My interest is little to none with them.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting! I could have sworn that the ad said correct engine and not matching numbers engine, I guess my mistake. Trans says correct code but does not state matching numbers.
It does state this on the As-IS section :

"The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type."

Old 12-16-2016, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That car is pretty much an identical twin to my GT-37. Rosewood, black Cordova top & D98 stripes. My car was painted yellow by a previous owner years before I got it and I don't think I've ever seen another Rosewood A-body, especially with black top and the stripes. I've tried to imagine my car in it's original colors and assumed it would've had red/white eyebrows. Looks weird to see red/black ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Looks awful with the stripes. I wonder what the default stripe color was with Rosewood?

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 12-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet looking car, me, I like the stripes....

The 71 dealer ordering guide lists the Black/Red stripes for a Rosewood car when ordering D98 stripes. Seems to be the contention that 71 non-Judges always would get the two color stripes but the catalog shows the three color Judge stripes (UPC 614) available for T-37 thru GTO so go figure.

Not sure what PHS would do for you here. The VIN shows it's a GTO, you have the paint codes which match, and they have what looks like a legit dealer shipping doc listing the factory options. Only significant change is the added Honeycombs.

Numbers matching, restored 71 GTO not needing a paint job and clean like this one......hard to find and that's why they are at that price.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could you post the ordering guide that shows this? Would love to see it.

In regards to UPC 614, you mean this?

http://www.gt-37.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1027

It shows stripes available in black, red, or yellow. I can only guess that this was planned but, in the end, we ended up with black or white, both with red.

It's unusual to have red as part of a limited color selection (without both black or white), but it seems red is somewhat of a neutral color that matches a lot you wouldn't ordinarily expect. I know for the 1969 Plymouth GTX there was either white or red stripes in the lower portion of the car (with the black), and the Road Runner had a reflective side stripe only available in either red or white.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Norm,

Like to see that dealer form...

Great point on the 71 GTO as well.

I would add that maybe the dealer is cosigning and the car was a good car to begin and restored even better by a knowledgeable Pontiac shop.

Good cars demand good money...

Old 12-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

this is still on craigslist. did you ever get to see it?

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5859235329.html

Beautiful, fully restored GTO in tropical lime green, a complet numbers matching car, 242 vin, a true must see. Call joe 845 629-6234
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00k0k_4hgBWINqeYb_1200x900.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	442851  

Old 12-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go on the stripe combos offered up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1105.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	442853  

Old 12-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
this is still on craigslist. did you ever get to see it?

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5859235329.html

Beautiful, fully restored GTO in tropical lime green, a complet numbers matching car, 242 vin, a true must see. Call joe 845 629-6234
Would that color be a stock color??? Car is only about 30 minutes from me, Carmine.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like tropical lime
https://myclassicgarage.com/marketpl...iac-gto#colors

Old 12-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Here you go on the stripe combos offered up.
Thanks for posting the chart, but it is for Judges and not regular GTOs, so I reckon we still don't know what the default stripe choice would be.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is for 1972 stripes:
(think this was posted before)

May be similar to 71?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	72-D98stripes.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	442874  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Thanks for posting the chart, but it is for Judges and not regular GTOs, so I reckon we still don't know what the default stripe choice would be.
There where only two choices: red/black or red/white. From what I know, black interior cars received red/black, ivory/sandlewood interiors would get red/white. Have no idea how the other color interiors received but I'm sure some someone has some examples. For this Rosewood car, red/black D98 should be right.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't believe the interior color determined the stripe color.