Old 11-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Default 1972 Endura conversion

Hi, I have a 1972 Lemans base model 4 door and have always dreamed of basically putting an Endura front end on it and turning it into a 4 door GTO. I was recently involved in a wreck, messing up the front right fender, bumper, nose, etc. so I figure if I'm ever going to follow up on my dream, now is the time to do it. I need to know what all must be changed to fit an endura front end? Thanks!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to keep it as a 72 with endure the main thing you will need will be lots of money and patience as those parts are very hard to come by.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Along with the cash you will need the whole front clip except the inner wheel wells! Radiator support, valance, hood latch and support, headlight buckets, fenders, hood, bumper and brackets, license plate bracket and turn signal lamps also! Think that's most of it?

Lyn.

'72 Lemans 2dr. 20,000 mile car [sold]
'73 Grandville backhalfed Drag Car
'73 Grand Am 400 4-speed
'74 Lemans Sport Coupe-4800 original miles

Last edited by carguy66cars; 11-03-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added to post
Old 11-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also have a 72 base model and dreamed of the same thing since the 71-72 sport nose is about the sexiest ever. But, availability and cost brought me back to appreciating the almost "rareness" of the base front end.

I've settled for the sleeper motif.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As someone who plowed into a deer and wiped out everything but the passenger fender, I was in the same boat. I was looking at almost $5500 for everything: hood, core support, fenders, valence, etc. And that was before shipping and painting everything to match.

Basically you need a donor car with everything from the firewall forward in good shape to do it. Hoods are the most annoying part as they tend to rust around the vents or get bent because someone didn't latch it properly before taking off from the gas station. Fenders always seem to be rotten down low. I still want an endura front end, but I've settled for locating a car that already has it installed rather than dealing with piecing it all together.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmmm, agree with nice sheetmetal parts are expensive, have been for decades. have owned a slew of '71 and '72 endura nosed cars, GTO's and T41's. Some, the only reason I picked them up is they were bumped in a fron corner. Easy fix or a long part out to the ground, depended on what the car was.

The Toucan Sam nose is definitely an acquired taste, personally appreciate the clean look of the '71 T-37 and 72 LeMans standard front ends, ESP when they have '71 grilles in the header panel. Have traded and sold quite a few sets of '71 std grilles to guys putting them in their detrimmed '72 Lux LeMans...major improvement in looks.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here you go....a complete steal IMO:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Thru-19...tWO9Dm&vxp=mtr

Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

theres enough stuff there even if you throw the fenders away (you only need the front 12 inches to convert standard fenders to 71 type fenders) its a deal..its all there..all the special stuff...then use a fiberglass hood for a clone..

theres a better one on the STL craiglist..its a 72 GTO 400 3 speed stick...2 birds on stone...endura and a stick conversion

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 11-09-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
theres enough stuff there even if you throw the fenders away (you only need the front 12 inches to convert standard fenders to 71 type fenders) its a deal..its all there..all the special stuff...then use a fiberglass hood for a clone..
As a side question what year fenders could you use to graft on the 71/72 bits?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70-72

but 71 72 is easier

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."