Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Please venture an opinion...

...as to what a numbers matching 71 Le Mans Sport vert is worth? Currently white with blue guts, may have originally been blue/blue, car is an auto with air, this is all the info I have right now. I am looking for a price assuming the car is restored and understand the number could fluctuate greatly depending upon the quality of the resto. thanks in advance for all input.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pictures? Mileage?

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have neither but IMO both are irrelevant since I will restore the car anyway. With a good quality resto, is the car worth as much as a GTO vert? half as much? I am trying to determine if the car is worth buying and putting a bunch of time and effort into or if I'd be better off buying , say, a GTO or a chevelle. Either way, the car would be a spare-time retirement project and not anything I'd keep for very long. Wouldn't necessarily be looking to make money on it either, just want to keep busy and not LOSE money (unless I give it to a nephew). I've got two guys hanging cars in front of me right now, 1st is the le Mans Sport vert (runs and drives, may need some slight patch work in the trunk claims the seller) 2nd is a 70 Chevelle, runs and drives and supposed to be super-solid ( I have seen neither in person), either one for around 5K. Anybody?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No way worth what a 71 GTO vert would bring but on the high end I would say mid to upper 20's for a nicely restored 71 23767. Even a 400 Lemans vert would not bring the same as a GTO with same body and drivetrian. A nice 71 Canyon Copper Lemans vert recently pulled 30K at Mecum. Color combo matters on 70-72's verts. Lets be honest, a blue/blue vert is going to be more desireable than say a brown one with green guts. A Lucy Blue one with blue interior would show very well to a potential buyer.

If you can get a 71 blue Lemans vert needing some trunk patch work and paint for 5K, I would jump on it. Usually hardtops go for more than that!

Last edited by tripower; 06-12-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A LeMans will cost the exact same $$$ to restore as a GTO and will be worth 50-60% as much.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What motor is in it? That is the biggest factor in figuring the value. A 455 HO car is going to be worth a LOT more than a 350 2bbl car.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Endura front end or base? That's where the difference will be.

Comparably done, a 350/auto Lemans would be 1/2 to 2/3rds the value of a 400/auto GTO convertible - slightly more and considerably easier to sell if it has the endura option.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

71-72 Lemans Sport and GTO nose... One of the sexiest front ends ever!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't do it! Restoring a GTO is a money losing proposition - buying a run-down lemans to restore is even worse! Life is short, buy a restored car, and sell it for what you paid for it after a few years of enjoyment.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Don't do it! Restoring a GTO is a money losing proposition - buying a run-down lemans to restore is even worse! Life is short, buy a restored car, and sell it for what you paid for it after a few years of enjoyment.
^ This is really the best advice but most guys like to have projects.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-05-2015, 03:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
^ This is really the best advice but most guys like to have projects.
Agreed. I tend to sell them once they're done.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if your doing it to make money...you wont...if your doing it to occupy your time and because you love cars then who cares..do it the way ya want

i feel it would be worth more money as a clone type car than restored as a chrome bumper lemans....

with that being said...a 71 judge vert clone would be cool to own, hell they are taking 71 and 72s and making them 70 Judges....and you can do anything with it you want....and it only matters to you....you cant even imagine how many cloned judge verts around here are BBchevy or LS1 powered..and even though i thinks its stupid..they bring decent coin.

there was a frame off 71 lemans sport around here for sale for 5 years and the guy traded it off because no one wanted it..good colors high end done car..just a plain blue lemans convert with a 350...someone told him it was rare to have survived and he should restore it right...and he lost over 50% of his investment...and he got the car free..he inherited it..so buying one and doing it, id say bad idea

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."