Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.
The model railroading was more of a joke. I have a bunch of plastic model kits of cars that I would start on most likely. Although I do have an HO train set I bought this year waiting it's turn. I need to get the basement organized first though. And last night I found mold behind a piece of wall panelling down there. Joy. It's always something.

I may have come across totally wrong. I am not broke, just can't spend a lot at one time on this. Hundred here, hundred there kind of thing.

Won't be replacing the quarters, I can tell that for the most part they are ok. Can just patch what isn't. What panels I do need I can buy at Summit Racing and pick up in person so no shipping charges. That is a big help, I couldn't afford the shipping charges on some of this stuff I will need. Need to get moving on learning to weld though. That is my next major holdup. I tend to be one that over analyzes everything and hence never gets started. But once I force myself to just "DO" it I get along pretty good.

Just really surprised about the new rust discoveries, and it happened at a bad time, so it hit me harder than it should have.

Never give up!. Never surrender! :-)
(from the movie Galaxy Quest several years ago)

Russ

Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, took some time off from the Lemans and am feeling much better. I am also going to be buying a new repro firewall from a member here, which I appreciate very much. Makes me feel that this is doable after all. That firewall will fix several of the rust issues I have up front.
Probably won't be doing anything on the car for another couple of weeks.

And will someone please buy PontiacMatt's 70GTO project. It is killing me that I don't have the cash for it knowing he will have to cut it up soon. Or loan $1500 to me for the body and frame?
(The preceeding was an unpaid public service.)

Russ

Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM

did you end up getting that trunk panel at summit?

Its gone so i figured maybe you got it?

I would not buy the skins right now. Your quarters were fine I think compared to mine they are good.

Your firewall didnt look fun though.

did you get the firewall yet? I am driving up to get his quarter panel this weekend i believe.

Last edited by mikes2nd; 11-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey, Mike.

Nope, I didn't get it. Didn't have the cash right then, and when I finally got there the next weekend it was gone. I did buy the slightly damaged wheel tub kit though, only $30, worth that just for the metal if nothing else. Welding practice, small panel patches, etc. Although I am thinking about using it, going to depend on how bad the wheel wells really are once I get the 'glass off of them.

I think the quarters are doable as well. Assuming I don't find an inch of bondo under the paint when I strip them.

I also am buying a repro firewall from a member here who lives in NW Ohio. $50. That is a huge load off of my mind. I am leaning towards just using the bottom half of it since the upper on the car doesn't look bad. Would like to keep as much original metal as possible due to my non existent at this point welding skills. But again that will depend on what I find when I get into it. But I will soon have my first replacement panel.

How is the hood coming?

Russ

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM

I am going to get parts(quarter panel, maybe doors) off that same guy(your getting your firewall off).

I can maybe grab it for you when I drive up.

Hood is sitting in the garage, nice and dry now. Havent touched it yet, started welding my new quarter on.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hmm, same guy. Would've liked to have gotten that stuff myself, but cash is always an issue. My wife has asked me to stop spending until after Christmas. Getting a few things for my Explorer that same day, then the firewall. Then cold turkey for a little while.
Good thing is the overtime where I work (in my area) is still going strong, so I need to pick up the pace with that a little. Rested the last couple of weeks with almost no overtime, getting burnt out.

she keeps asking what I want for Christmas, I keep telling her a Summit gift card would be good. She doesn't see it the same way I do. Sigh.

I am going to Elyria anyway, so it won't be a problem for me to go get it from him, but thanks alot for the offer. My wife likes to see Ohio, only problem is that she always complains that the only time we travel is for car parts. She is kind of right.

Russ

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM

russ, iam mikes2nd dad. email mike or me your address and i can send you a cd on how to mig weld auto sheetmetal.. or call mike on his cell phone if you have his number. it was a big help for me since i had never mig welded. it really farily easy

Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks,
I just sent an email.
Russ

Old 12-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good news bad news.

good news is I have a nice new firewall to install.

bad news is I sold the front valance panel for the Lemans, and went ahead and shipped it before getting the money. I was at the ups store to see how much it cost and decided to just ship it while I was there, since it isn't close to home. I am sure I will get paid, but boy is my wife po'd
Seems she had plans for that money for this weekend. Hey, it was only $184 rounded up. Had the ups store box it. bad mistake. that added almost 60 to the price. But I didn't really have a way to do it myself.
This is why I advertised the stuff as pickup only. I hate dealing with trying to ship something.

Russ

Old 12-04-2011, 08:18 AM

don"t let the rust overwhelm you. Go at it a section at a time that helps me compartmentize it and remember your goal
Joe

Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Good news bad news.

good news is I have a nice new firewall to install.

This is why I advertised the stuff as pickup only. I hate dealing with trying to ship something.

Russ
i only use greyhound if i do ship.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Well,

Russ
btw Russ I have the rear control arms, all painted and new bushings if you want, next time your in akron let me know...

I have all 4 rear and i think the bushings are complete.

I got an adjustable kit.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 PM

russ the welding video is in the mail today. mig welding is surprizing easy. the connectors they show that holds the parts to be welded together at the right space are available from harbor frieght. if there is no harbor frieght near you i can send you some...good luck

Old 12-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Mike and Dad.

Mike, I may take the lowers. I have adjustable ones for the top already.

Dad(can't remember your name, sorry)(I have CRS pretty bad), there is one not too far from here. I should already have some of those, I know I bought some a few years ago when I was still in Mansfield, just have to find them. But they were cheap enough that if I lost them it won't kill me. I think I also bought some magnets. I still have some boxes that I haven't unpacked yet from one or two moves ago.

Getting the gas for the mig is going to be the trick. I am hoping to find a place that will deliver since I don't have a pickup and no one wants to let you take the bottles in a car/suv.

Russ

Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, Joe.

I have to get that tattoed on my forehead or something. I am not good with patience.

But I was taking a look at the car yesterday and did see places that I could do a couple of small patches instead of one big one. Since I don't have a brake or any other metal working tools that will make it easier in some places instead of trying to form a new piece all at once.

Russ

Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 PM

russ the gas for a mig is non flamable, its a mix of argon and co2 80-20. i have the smallest tank, 15 lbs but if i had to do it over i would get the next largest size and you can take it with you.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where did you get yours? I have been told on most forums that the reason is that if they leak they will suffocate you. It seems rare to find a place that will let you take it in a closed vehicle.
I know where the Praxair is on Main St, I used to pass it every day, I used to live a little south of there by the FedEx/Softball park/Boy Scout store. I don't know any other welding places there. Don't mind going to Akron to get it if I can.

yeah, the bigger the better, to a point. I have to be able to carry it by myself.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 PM

i have the 15 lb tank, i got it at harbor friegth and i get it exchanged at praixair in akron, its on south st just off main. the refill on a 15 lb is 16 bucks. i dont know what i paid for the tank . check both harbor freight and praxair web site.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife hates when I mention Harbor Freight. :-)

Thanks,
Russ

Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chuck,
I got it today. Thanks!
should have been yesterday, but the mailman gave it to my neighbor instead.
Russ