Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default well, got po'd at myself enough to get something done

car isn't in the garage, but I have started tearing it apart anyway. Not supposed to rain here this weekend, hope I can get it in tomorrow, or else I need to buy a tarp.

removed the hood, fenders, doors, trunk lid, and rear seat. For as much rust as this car has, things came apart fairly easily. I know for a fact the drivers fender is not original. It is the wrong year.

Found lots more rust than I had hoped to. Definitely have to replace the trunk pan. Also found some rust on both lower areas of the cowl/firewall-the corners outside of the frame rail. I think I can fix that by patching, but won't know for sure until I get all the paint off.

Area under the rear seat looks ok.

Struggling with removing the rear bumper. Trying to figure out which bolts need to come off, using the factory service manual I have on cd, but think I need to pring out the picture so I can have it with me at the car. Have CRS.

Also need to remove the trunk lid tension rods. Manual didn't say how to do that. Going with a fiberglass lid, so really don't want them on.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cowl lower front driver.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	259477   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass side cowl lower.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	259478   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk 1.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	259479   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk floor 3.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	259480  

Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh, the reason I hadn't seen all the trunk rust was that I have been fiberglassed. Whoever did it did a great job. Very thin layer, very smooth. I thought it was some sort of undercoating or just heavy paint.

Here's a picture of the pieces after removal. The one piece is upside down.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fiberglass trunk floor.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	259482  

Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got the car into the garage finally. Don't know if it was greasing the casters on the dollies or the weight reduction. But it pushed easily, although I had to jack it up and turn the casters by hand in the direction I wanted them to go.
Now to find a spot in the now full garage for the doors and other stuff I took off.
Russ

Old 10-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

right on. let the fun begin.
as far as the back bumper; when i did mine, i pulled the bolts from the frame and pulled the whole thing. then installed the brackets and stuff in my new bumper and re installed.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Also need to remove the trunk lid tension rods. Manual didn't say how to do that. Russ
Russ,

There is a picture in the body service manual pgs 8-8 to 8-13 showing the tool that GM suggested service centers fab for the job.

You don't actually need it but it is a profanity laced job doing it without. You need to get in the trunk and lie on your back looking up at the rods. Locate the end of the rod that you want to remove by finding the fixed end aligned up and down on the inner face of the brace. That end should be above you head, not at your feet. Obviously you need to do this before climbing in the trunk. Use your knee to bend the rod to the side. This will shorten the rod enough that you should be able to muscle the 'knee' of the rod (which will be just above your eyes) off of the perch in the brace. Once you have it off the rest of the remove is straight forward. Install is opposite and much more profanity laced. Best.

Stu

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 AM

Well loks like you have some work to do but on the bright side now that you've started finishing is that much closer. Keep the pics coming.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.
Maybe I should just cut the tension spring? Not sure I would fit in that part of the trunk. Will absolutely not be reusing them.

Took out the front seat and all the carpet. Just a couple of surprises.

Here are a few more pictures. The gray seats are from a 97 Explorer and are what I am going to use. I am driving one of those as my dd, and I really like how the seats feel. The driver's side is also 6-way power.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00072.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	259542   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00073.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	259543   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00076.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	259544   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00086.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	259545   Click image for larger version

Name:	explorer seats.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	259546  

Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Forgot the one showing the car in the garage. Yes, it is a real disaster area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caringarageverysmall.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	259547  

Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Forgot number 2.
The best thing about getting the car in the garage is that if I feel like going out in the garage and working for a bit when I get home from work I can go and shut the door and not really have to worry about disturbing the neighbors. They are disturbed enough without my help.

I'd actually be out there right now, but have to get the laundry done for the upcoming week. Laundry is in the basement, and my wife can't do the stairs.

Russ

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep up the work and the pictures coming.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, might not have to worry about the tension springs. While poking around there I found out that the bottom side of the panel the hinges are mounted on is toast. This is the piece between the bottom of the rear window and the trunk lid. Also found that the trunk lip there along the top is mostly gone. Hadn't seen that before pulling the trunk gasket off. Anyone know if the repro piece includes the lip?

And then more rust last night. Removed the stainless from the windshield and back window. The cowl has some rust thru along the bottom of the winshield. Mainly around the passenger side wiper. But also where the seam is at the point that the top meets the side on the driver's side. Hoping it isn't worse than it looks. Trying to get the dash out hopefully tonight so I can look from the inside.

Also took the wiper motor and arms off, as well as the heater blower box on the firewall. Steering column is on the hot list for tonight. Wanted to do it last night, but the cotter pin that holds the linkage from the column down wouldn't come out. Hit it with PB blaster and let it set, came right out, but by that time I was ready to call it a night.

No pictures, forgot to take the camera to the garage. Will get some tonight.

Russ

Last edited by russosborne; 10-11-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added question
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
Keep up the work and the pictures coming.
Is that blue the factory color on your car? Mine has been repainted to something that looks just like it. Car was originally white.
Don't have a clue yet what color I want to do mine yet. Would love candy apple red (hey, I am an old schooler) but no way can I afford that. Don't like plain red. Seriously thinking about some kind of yellow. Might even do yellow with black flames, just to be different.
Who knows, got a while before I have to worry about that.

Russ

Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Is that blue the factory color on your car? Mine has been repainted to something that looks just like it. Car was originally white.
Don't have a clue yet what color I want to do mine yet. Would love candy apple red (hey, I am an old schooler) but no way can I afford that. Don't like plain red. Seriously thinking about some kind of yellow. Might even do yellow with black flames, just to be different.

Russ
My GT-37 was originally Castillion Bronze with Ivory top and interior, later was painted red then blue from what I can see.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
right on. let the fun begin.
as far as the back bumper; when i did mine, i pulled the bolts from the frame and pulled the whole thing. then installed the brackets and stuff in my new bumper and re installed.
only way to tackle that job!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question How 'bout...

Quote:

Russ
Orbit Orange???? Thats yellow...sorta! Pink stripe kit would turn some heads,as well! Just a thought. Ron

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
My GT-37 was originally Castillion Bronze with Ivory top and interior, later was painted red then blue from what I can see.
you're gonna paint it back that color...right? Love the color and never seen a GT-37 in that hue. Gotta look sweet! Ron

Old 10-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Neil Young.....

Rust never sleeps.

Got the column out last night. While I was under the dash I noticed something I hadn't before. Driver's floor is rusted out near the high beam switch. Sigh.

Started on the dash, but then realised that I didn't remember how to do it. Don't want to take apart anything I don't have to, so decided to wait. Plus, don't know if it was the rust or what, but was feeling kind of queasy anyway.

Have pictures this time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drivers firewall original small.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	259743   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers floor rust small.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	259744   Click image for larger version

Name:	gas pedal area original small.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	259745   Click image for larger version

Name:	no steering column original small.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	259746   Click image for larger version

Name:	original steering column no car small.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	259747  

Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Double checking the pictures made me remember a question I have.

Don't know if you can really see it, but in the gas pedal picture I have 2 cables attached. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Russ

Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default more pics, more rust

Got the dash out.
Found a nice big hole on the driver's floor behind the kick panel. Again, more orange metal. Although this one has rusted out past where the previous patch was done. At least it is just riveted on, so it will be easy to remove to see just how bad it is.

Starting to feel a little concern over the rust. Yeah, it isn't horrible-yet. Won't be happy until the car is completly apart and the body stripped down to bare metal so I know that there won't be any more surprises.

Oh, speaking of surprises, when I took the glove box door off I noticed the tire capacity chart sticker says "TEMPEST". WTH?

Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dash out of car 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	259911   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers side no dash 2 better.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	259912   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers side no dash 3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	259913   Click image for larger version

Name:	glove box tempest 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	259914  

Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What color does the "gas pedal" wires have ?
Orange white is the curtesy lights I think.