Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate to see anyone lose such a car over such circumstances.

Word in the wind says, unpaid bill of 8500.00 went wayyyy past due.
Shop has had a title to car since December 2010.
All bets were off in March 2011.

They don't have the title or the car any longer.
Really sorry for your misfortune Dan.
Honestly i really and truely hate things like this happen.

It was going to be sold.
Anybody with the money handy would have went and bought it.
Easy to point a finger - but a lot of fingers could have pointed at a lot of people if there were 10 of these being sold.
Can only be one buyer, and one bought it.

Should be about a 65-75k car as-is.
Depends what else gets done to it.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Convert

I wonder- if the car could have been sold by the owner with an agreement of full payment of the invoice to the shop owner and perhaps even a little extra $$ from of the sale? If the car is worth $65k as it sits, all would have come out ahead? Hind sight talk, I know...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Sounds like legal(evil) theft to me.
how you figure? Shop was owed money...actually got the title to the car LAST YEAR! How much of the story are you actually privvy to? That's what I thought. Pay your bills...avoid getting foreclosed on...simple as that.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

out of curiosity, why didnt you just pay the bill and take the car???

Old 09-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know how the law works in the state where the IV vert was sold, but in WA. state I own Richs Car Corner and I know the law quite well.

I used to have 350k out on paper to inhouse contracts, so I have been there, done that on lesser amounts than a car worth 80k, anyway not anymore I let the finance companys take the big risks.

I still put out some paper, like a guy bought a car put 6k down and owes me 850
bucks. I go legal on the title and if he doesn't pay I allowed a reasonable repo fee, interest, late fees.

But I can't wait two years and charge him a stupid storage fee, or sell his car for nothing to a ''perfect stranger''.

I have to send him a registered letter stating such, with a deadline to pay or I sell his repoed car.

If I was dumb and greedy enough to sell this car thats worth 6k car for 1400 to "friend" wink wink or keep it in storage for two years so could charge a stupid bill, I would expect to sued.

State says, very clearly that any money more than what is owed is refunded to customer.

Someone is leaving themselves wide open for a law suit, to sell a 80k car for 25k. Trumped up storage bills, selling the for 1/4 market value is easy to prove.

I am not saying the owner didn't act responsible, the law wants to know why the shop didn't act responsible once this became a problem and why they took advantage of situtation.

I do not know the details of this so I can't comment on how much was really owed, or how this went down.

This I do know, if you have a million dollar diamond ring and a guy owes a dollar on it, if you sell for two dollars to cover the debt expect to get sued.

But................. if it did really sell on Ebay, this they can prove, which is pubic fomat that goes to highest bidder, refund the difference that is owed, to the former owner, charge a reasonable amount of storage you are covered.

Just like tow yard picks up a 100k Ferrari and the guy doesn't pay the bill, has to sell in a reasonable amount of time in a auction, can only charge so much for the tow and storage and has to refund the difference.

This rarely happens when money factor favors the owner so much, they find a way. I know this if a person comes to me and says Rich I have a Ram Air IV vert that has a lein on it for 8500. pay it and I will put you legal on the title there is literally hundreds of car dealers would take that bet or pawn shops, or even local business owners.

Last edited by richard sargent; 09-09-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post

It was going to be sold.
Anybody with the money handy would have went and bought it.
Easy to point a finger - but a lot of fingers could have pointed at a lot of people if there were 10 of these being sold.

BVZ I agree with you on this one. However if this guy sold the car for lets say 20k and was owed 8500 what happens to the rest of the money? I dont think he should be able to profit from this? If the market value is 60k on the car and he did not try to the best of his ability to get market value for the car then what happens? It sounds like a complete mess and very unfortunate. I feel back for previous owner but would not have passed up on the car because of that. When I bought the 70 ta last year from the Waldmann collection I really felt bad for the guy because it can happen to anyone.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds to me like a messy, messy, MESSY deal . . .

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool FYI...

Car came with clean title AND documentation...including required "registered letter" to the owner and title which was transferred to shop in '10. Dan was even offered the chance to "square up" in March of '11. I'd say the shop owner was more than fair. Anyone here that sides with a deadbeat in this situation obviously has never been stiffed. As for the "residual" funds...what about storage and overall headaches of having to go thru all this BS? Sorry...I believe this was the only course of action left for the business owner. Too bad it had to end this way.....but I would say that the blame belongs to only one person...but that's just my take on it. Anyway...back to "lessons learned"! And that's all I have to say about that. Guy even told Greg..."If you don't buy it...someone else will." Just curious....Dan showed up at the shop when the car was sold....why not before the car was sold...preferably with some cash? Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What a strange way to get a deal. 25 grand for a ram IV ragtop is very nice. I don't know about the 65 k scenario profferred by some. Granted, rare options but I would think console shift, more vibrant color interior and darker paint would really wake up this car. Of course then you'd have to deal with 20 other other Starlight Black/red interior Ram Air IV convertibles which most likely are tribute cars! Maybe Midnight Green would be better? Just thinking out loud if it were my car.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard sargent View Post
I don't know how the law works in the state where the IV vert was sold, but in WA. state I own Richs Car Corner and I know the law quite well.

I used to have 350k out on paper to inhouse contracts, so I have been there, done that on lesser amounts than a car worth 80k, anyway not anymore I let the finance companys take the big risks.

I still put out some paper, like a guy bought a car put 6k down and owes me 850
bucks. I go legal on the title and if he doesn't pay I allowed a reasonable repo fee, interest, late fees.

But I can't wait two years and charge him a stupid storage fee, or sell his car for nothing to a ''perfect stranger''.

I have to send him a registered letter stating such, with a deadline to pay or I sell his repoed car.

If I was dumb and greedy enough to sell this car thats worth 6k car for 1400 to "friend" wink wink or keep it in storage for two years so could charge a stupid bill, I would expect to sued.

State says, very clearly that any money more than what is owed is refunded to customer.

Someone is leaving themselves wide open for a law suit, to sell a 80k car for 25k. Trumped up storage bills, selling the for 1/4 market value is easy to prove.

I am not saying the owner didn't act responsible, the law wants to know why the shop didn't act responsible once this became a problem and why they took advantage of situtation.

I do not know the details of this so I can't comment on how much was really owed, or how this went down.

This I do know, if you have a million dollar diamond ring and a guy owes a dollar on it, if you sell for two dollars to cover the debt expect to get sued.

But................. if it did really sell on Ebay, this they can prove, which is pubic fomat that goes to highest bidder, refund the difference that is owed, to the former owner, charge a reasonable amount of storage you are covered.

Just like tow yard picks up a 100k Ferrari and the guy doesn't pay the bill, has to sell in a reasonable amount of time in a auction, can only charge so much for the tow and storage and has to refund the difference.

This rarely happens when money factor favors the owner so much, they find a way. I know this if a person comes to me and says Rich I have a Ram Air IV vert that has a lein on it for 8500. pay it and I will put you legal on the title there is literally hundreds of car dealers would take that bet or pawn shops, or even local business owners.
I think it would have been more fair to let the auction run its course (if I understand all this correctly)...that way a more realistic value could have been put on the car, that is if Greg bought it at a bargain basement price.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Illinois works about like what Richard said.

The original owner would have to be notified (by certified letter) and told of the date of the auction.

Then a mechanic's lien title would be given to the mechanic.
I believe also that any amount over the cost of the astounding balance would be given to the original owner.

Appears to be a very messy deal, indeed.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
how you figure? Shop was owed money...actually got the title to the car LAST YEAR! How much of the story are you actually privvy to? That's what I thought. Pay your bills...avoid getting foreclosed on...simple as that.
Stand corrected after BVZ's and your post.
That info wasnt mentioned from the start.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post

It was going to be sold.
Anybody with the money handy would have went and bought it.Easy to point a finger - but a lot of fingers could have pointed at a lot of people if there were 10 of these being sold.

No, not everyone.

I know of a half dozen Pontiac friends (on and off this site that wouldnt TOUCH anothers car with this situation. Its like screwing a best friends ex wife...some things you just dont do.

I guess its not all about the money for some?

Then there is the LEGAL side like RICHARD S posted above.......he makes an excellent point.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
No, not everyone.

I know of a half dozen Pontiac friends (on and off this site that wouldnt TOUCH anothers car with this situation. Its like screwing a best friends ex wife...some things you just dont do.

I guess its not all about the money for some?

Then there is the LEGAL side like RICHARD S posted above.......he makes an excellent point.
I dont know about the best friends ex wife thing. If he left her and she was real hot thats a maybe.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
I dont know about the best friends ex wife thing. If he left her and she was real hot thats a maybe.
Chuck! That logic is impossible to argue with. Assuming of course YOU are not married yourself. She has to be hot though.

Last edited by Uncle Judge; 09-09-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As hot as a RAIV GTO
Maybe even RAIII...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HOT LIKE THIS??????????/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heavy.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	256083  

Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4king View Post
HOT LIKE THIS??????????/
You, sir, are one SICK individual!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4king View Post
HOT LIKE THIS??????????/
That's a way to ruin any RAIV thread.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Big problem he ended the auction early! To a judge this looks like collusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least on the shop owners part not the new buyer.

Like I said JUST BECAUSE THE CONSUMER ACTED LIKE A IDIOT DOES NOT CHANGE THE LEGAL OBLIGATION ON THE PART OF THE BUSINESS OWNER.

I own a used car lot, sell over 1200 cars a year, I have dozens and dozens dead beat stories about idiots. THE LAW DOESN'T CARE, THEY WANT TO KNOW WHY I DIDN'T FOLLOW THE LAW PERIOD. THEY WILL FINE ME, PUT ME OUT OF BUSINESS, OR I WILL GET SUED BY THE CONSUMER!

I don't think the person who bought the car has done anything wrong legally. He or she bought a car with a title and it's up to the business to end the auction early. All legal obligation is on the shop not the buyer.

Original owner would have to prove collusion, not an easy thing to do, but not following the letter of law is very easy to prove, lawsuits on the other hand can be filed for just about anything. Most consumer compaints start with Attorney General's office just a call or a email away.

Advice to the new owner put the title in your name ASAP, just in case the title is canceled because of litigitation, the state that issued the title can cancel this for any reason they deem it so.

Last edited by richard sargent; 09-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.