Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Steve View Post
It is factory white with the black top and a blue interior, 350, T350 and 2.56 rear, Options on the build sheet (still got it too, Dad found it under the back seat in the 70's and filed it away) are, power windows, door locks, power bench seat, electric trunk release, tinted windshield, front and rear floor mats, door edge guards, power front discs, power steer, rally II's, G78 White Walls, trunk light, clock and AM radio. It was factory single exhaust, that was replaced by the twin system early on.

It was imported new and converted to RHD and sold as a new car. It was ordered, IIRC, about 28 to 30 cars after my 70 GTO, but my GTO was early Nov. and this one's early Feb! I guess the U.S. dealer, Kahn Motors in NJ, wasn't a high volume dealer.

Dad bought it in the mid to late 70's with about 30k miles, I think it's got 95k on it now. It's been off the road for awhile, but atleast it is still in the family. Dad bought a GTO hood to put on it and also liked the idea of the GTO splitters and rear valance as well. The old man passed away last December and, I tell ya, it was so damn hard digging this out of the shed to bring to my house . It's turn will come.

Hey, would you be interested in a pair of rear quarter panels on their own? I saw some advertised in Ca.
70Steve, Sorry to hear about loosing your father. We just lost our mother a month ago and it is hard to comprehend that she's gone, but she lived to be 90 and was always spunky.

Wow, that is a loaded LeMans. I imagine all the sheet metal is solid being in Australia. That is one place I want to travel someday with my family. My kids think that is the best place to live. Yes, we'd be interested in rear quarters on there own. Thanks!

Dennis

Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
se428bandit, Is that the motor you have in your Ventura? I think the 068 cam would be great with some compression and 3.23 gears or higher.
My Ventura has the "7H1" heads which cc'ed at 91. I have the motor out of it and it's being freshen up a bit (Cam,oil pump,timing chain,factory 4 bbl intake). Because of the lack of exhaust bolt holes in the 7H1's i going with some 6x 4's that are being cut and the block decked to bump up the comp.
I think the 068 would work great in the the 350 you have with the 3.23 gear and the 4 speed.Plus your brother is one of the best tuners around so i can't wait to see how that Lemans runs after yall are done!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was no 350 4bbl option in 1970. If you're trying to keep the car "Pure Stock" you'd need to bump up to the 400 to run a 4bbl. The heads that came on 400 4 bbl in the Tempest/T-37/Lemans were small valve 16s

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
There was no 350 4bbl option in 1970. If you're trying to keep the car "Pure Stock" you'd need to bump up to the 400 to run a 4bbl. The heads that came on 400 4 bbl in the Tempest/T-37/Lemans were small valve 16s
Hi Goatless,

Yes, you are correct about no 350 HO in 1970, but I was just "what-if-ing" since we could make one somewhat easily with the parts we have lying around (using the '69 HO engine casting numbers as a guide and transcribing them with '70 numbers). It's a fun exercise on paper at least.

As far as we know, you could get a 400 4-bbl WT-code motor in front of a HD M-13 3-speed or M-20 4-speed even in the 4-door A-bodies, just like you could in the 2-drs. I'm not sure about the wagons, though. I'm also not sure if you could order 3.90/4.33 rears with the M-21, but that sure would be cool if they were available and a real car was built. You are correct about the XZ-code small valve 400 4-bbl engine being the only high compression 400 for automatic equipped non-GTO A-bodies for '70. We looked at a very nice GT-37 so equipped in Ohio about 20 years ago, Cardinal Red with black top and interior. We also have the parts to make a 400 WT motor for the LeMans as well, and it is very tempting.

Dennis

Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
My Ventura has the "7H1" heads which cc'ed at 91. I have the motor out of it and it's being freshen up a bit (Cam,oil pump,timing chain,factory 4 bbl intake). Because of the lack of exhaust bolt holes in the 7H1's i going with some 6x 4's that are being cut and the block decked to bump up the comp.
I think the 068 would work great in the the 350 you have with the 3.23 gear and the 4 speed.Plus your brother is one of the best tuners around so i can't wait to see how that Lemans runs after yall are done!
se428bandit, Dan and are still haven't decided which is the best way to go, but we always like to make the cars something the was actually available from the factory, so that means we'll put the 350 in the corner and build a WT 400 that will probably have an 068 cam variant in lieu of the 067 cam. I taught Dan everything he knows (just kidding), so it will be a good runner when its done, but not sure when that will happen.

The 350 seems to be experiencing lower than preferrable oil pressure and the bottom of the oil pan is pretty beat up, so the oil pump pick-up screen is probably blocked hampering oil flow. So, I think we are going to bite the 400 bullet this fall after the Pure Stock Drags. Dan's pretty busy until that event is over.

Dennis

Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried Memory Lane collector car dismantler in Wilmington, CA?

http://www.oldparts.com

800 281-9273

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
Have you tried Memory Lane collector car dismantler in Wilmington, CA?

http://www.oldparts.com

800 281-9273
PMDRACER, Thanks for the link. We'll check them out. Dennis

Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default An Obscure Question

Do any of you LeMans experts out there know what chrome trim or brite metal work came standard on a regular LeMans? Ours has the chrome trim around the door window frames, on the back edge of the hood, rocker moldings, and wheel opening moldings. It was ordered with the Decor Group (324 - $62.14) and came with the deluxe full size wheel covers. What was standard on the Base LeMans and what did the Decor Group option get you (other than the wheel covers). I almost forgot, it has the pedal trim (gas, brake, and clutch) too. Thanks!

Dennis

Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dennis,
I really like what you and Dan are planning for this car. I am glad it went to a good home. From what I recall the Lemans series 4-door sedans came standard with the side window reveal moldings and rocker panels. All of the other bright trim work......roof drip, belt window and hood molding, body side, door edge and wheel well moldings were optional. Not really sure what the 324 Decor Group consisted but I would guess it consisted of all of the other brite work that you mention other than the standard side window reveal and rocker panel molding. I am not sure if this was a Lemans or Lemans Sport only molding in 1970, but some cars have a trunk lip and quarter edge molding as well.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi John,

Thanks for selling the LeMans to Dan and I. We have been enjoying tearing it apart and examing it to the 'enth' degree. It was amazingly complete after all these years and not many things were changed or missing. We did pop in a new clutch assembly and flywheel since the pressure plate rivets ended up biting into the original flywheel. But, we have a couple of resurfaced spares to use.

Thanks for the info on the brite-work. I know it's somewhat trivial, but we were trying to figure out what was standard vs. options on the Tempest, LeMans and Sport models.

We are thinking of keeping an 067 style cam in the WT 400 primarily to offset the 3.23 gears needing a little more bottom end torque to get the car off the line better. Did you know that the 4-door V8 A-body has 50/50 weight distribution vs. the 2-drs 55/45? Another interesting fact about the 4-drs is they weigh about 200 lbs less than a comparably equiped GTO. A Tempest, LeMans, or LeMans Sport 4-door ordered with the M-20, 400 4-bbl (345 hp WT motor), and the 3.55 Saf-T-Trak rear (std. gear w/ 400 4-spd?) would be quite the sleeper and insurance beater, not to mention would humble the "Humbler".

Dennis

Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Chief

Interesting car... I like it. I don't make it up to G.R. often (I live in Battle Creek), but if/when I do I would like to check it out in person someday. It's nice to see that this unique car will be well-cared for and enjoyed.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal70lemans View Post
Interesting car... I like it. I don't make it up to G.R. often (I live in Battle Creek), but if/when I do I would like to check it out in person someday. It's nice to see that this unique car will be well-cared for and enjoyed.

Scott
Scott, Thanks for the kudos, we really do like the cars weirdness. B.C. is in the neighbor to G.R. and Portland areas. It would be good to meet you as well. You should try to make it to the Pure Stock Drags this September 16 & 17 at Mid-Michigan Dragway north of Stanton to spectate and then can meet both Dan & I. We may have the car there just for fun (not to run).

Dennis

Old 06-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Chief

This 4 Door LeMans is way, way cool! A sport sedan before its time.

When I was in HS in late 70's mid size GM fans were all '2 door, 2 door', but I liked all styles of A bodies.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoland View Post
This 4 Door LeMans is way, way cool! A sport sedan before its time.

When I was in HS in late 70's mid size GM fans were all '2 door, 2 door', but I liked all styles of A bodies.
Thanks chicagoland! I can honestly say that I didn't pay much attention to them growing up, or even the few that showed up for shows, but now they are very uncommon. I know they are getting to be rare sights these days and I'm grateful that this one still exists. We will ask JM at PHS if he's ever run across other weird 4-door cars factory equipped with 4-speeds and 400's('70 - '72), or '69 350 HO's, or hood tach cars.

I actually drove it for the first time today and was impressed with how tight everything felt and how precise the Hurst shifter was and how smooth the M-20 shifted. Even the 350 2-bbl motor felt strong and peppy. We put a mechanical oil gauge on to check the oil pressure since it was reading low on the factory gauges, and found to our surprise that the pressure was fine, it was just a bad (original) sending unit. That car can actually break the rear tires loose in first gear on pavement with barely more than half throttle! It impressed me anyway. I can't wait for the 400!

Dennis

Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
Do any of you LeMans experts out there know what chrome trim or brite metal work came standard on a regular LeMans? Ours has the chrome trim around the door window frames, on the back edge of the hood, rocker moldings, and wheel opening moldings. It was ordered with the Decor Group (324 - $62.14) and came with the deluxe full size wheel covers. What was standard on the Base LeMans and what did the Decor Group option get you (other than the wheel covers). I almost forgot, it has the pedal trim (gas, brake, and clutch) too. Thanks!

Dennis
I don't claim to be an expert but I just looked in a few 1970 brochures and in the Accessories brochure, the one with the girl on the front with the groovy little arrowhead badge on her temple (what is that all about?), it lists the Tempest decor group for four door sedans as...

Exterior decor trim features bright-metal side-window reveal moldings and concealed windshield wipers on Tempest; deluxe wheel covers, dual horns and wheel opening moldings on both Tempest and LeMans. Interior decor trim features brake, clutch and accelerator pedal trim plates and deluxe safety steering wheel on Tempest and LeMans; wood grain appearance instrument panel and rear armrests with ashtrays on Tempest. (F) for factory install.

And, it appears that maybe the original owner preferred a four speed over 400 cubes, as in the available options, it appears that only the 350 could be ordered as a 4 speed. Both the 2bbl and 4bbl 400's list as t400 only, the 2bbl having a 2.56 rear and the 4bbl receiving a 3.08. In the deluxe 70 brochure, it doesn't even show different trans or rear ratios as being available by special order.

The trunk lip and quarter molding that John mentioned is LeMans Sport, but our 4 door Sport doesn't have it..always wondered if it should be there but was left off or was taken off over here by a previous owner.
It's not like I have seen heaps to compare with!

Just out of interest, in the 1970 preview brochure there is a Bermuda blue (maybe Mint Turquoise? Hard to tell.)70 LeMans 4 door that looks like yours!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"it appears that only the 350 could be ordered as a 4 speed. Both the 2bbl and 4bbl 400's list as t400 only," -70steve

...interesting info! Reminds me of the Firebird situation in the '80s where you could get a stick but you got a 305...you want cubes? Ssssorry, sailor...automatic only.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi 70Steve,

I have seen the brochures that list only the 350 being available with 4-spd, however, we know that the factory was allowing 400 (WT-code) motors in the 2-dr coupe Tempests and LeMans well before the GT-37 being offered in Feb. '70. The Magmum 400 Tempests (4-spds) are a classic example of this.

John Sawruk showed me a build sheet, or manifest sheet of a PMD co-workers Tempest 2-dr post coupe (Palladium Silver with black guts) that was ordered with the 400 and HD 3-spd (M-13) trans and 3.55 Saf-T-Trak rear end very early in the model year. It may of had a radio, but nothing else. John was trying to find that car at the time and said it was the car that beat the Ram Air GTO's (still can't believe that). He also said this was the car that he thought came with a WS-code RAIII motor, but found out later it was the standard GTO WT 400 motor.

Apparently, a lot of salesman didn't know you could order the 400 & 4-spd together, hense, very few Tempest/LeMans 2-drs were ordered this way until the introduction of the GT-37. We are going to ask Jim Mattison if he has run across any 400 4-spd non-GTO/GT-37's, because you (and the brochures) may be correct regarding the 4-drs. We would love to think that you could get the 400 4-spd combo in a 4-door model as well.

Thanks for the other info about the trim options as well.

I drove the LeMans for the first time last Friday and had a blast. The new clutch assembly and flywheel engaged smoothly and the Hurst shifter rowed through the gears so nicely (after degreasing, cleaning and readjusting). I was surprised how quick the car felt with the 3.23 gears and was more surprised to get wheelspin in first gear from a roll with half throttle! The oil pressure that we thought wea low ended up being a faulty sending unit, so all is well with the motor.

Take Care, Dennis

Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi, Dennis, how are you?

Mark Hodge knows of a 400 3-speed car that's not a GT-37 somewhere in Ontario.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Hi, Dennis, how are you?

Mark Hodge knows of a 400 3-speed car that's not a GT-37 somewhere in Ontario.
Hi Deigo, I'm doing well and so is Dan. How are you fairing in the Big Apple?

You don't happen to know how to get a hold of Mark do you? I'd love to know more about that car.

Dennis

Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

His exact user name is "CDN2PLS2" so you can send him a PM.

Otherwise, Carlisle/GM show this weekend. :-)