Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Senior Chief

Well I'm bummed it's not the same car but I'm happy to have avoided the shag.

Since the interior pic was taken I added an old school underdash Craig FM 8/track (no dash cutting required).

The biggest bummer is that I lost 2 of the original wheels in June 2008. Our house and shop was flooded . We got the GTO out of the way in time but two of the wheels floated away never to be seen again.

I'll post some current pictures tomorrow.

Carmak
Riverside, Iowa

Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds great. Love to see some pix. That is a nice car! I still remember taking out old carpet (orange) and putting in the shag. Thinking how cool, I'm upgrading. Times have changed.

But, after college I bought this car in Iowa, and after a long restoration (87). CC and sienna interior 71 vert. It brought back good memories and I installed OEM carpet (never could match that orange).

Now I drive this one.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

That is one nice looking convertible. In the early 90's I had a pale yellow / white bucket seat 350 71 LeMans sport convertible. Super fun car to drive! Every panel was either rusted out, smashed or both. I bought it for $200 and sold it to a friend the next year for $200.

Below are some picture of my GTO now (I have a thing for slot mags).

Where abouts do you live?

Carmak
Riverside, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Sounds great. Love to see some pix. That is a nice car! I still remember taking out old carpet (orange) and putting in the shag. Thinking how cool, I'm upgrading. Times have changed.

But, after college I bought this car in Iowa, and after a long restoration (87). CC and sienna interior 71 vert. It brought back good memories and I installed OEM carpet (never could match that orange).

Now I drive this one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	206884   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	206885   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	206886   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	206887  

Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Carmak
I love the look of your Goat with those slotted mags! That is the way most of them looked back in 71 - 73 when I was in high school. Wide back tires and air shocks were also the norm.

BTW, looks like some good deer hunting land in the background!

BJ

Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post

Mike, Seen a few of these CC/Sienna verts around. Being so rare, I wonder if it is still around.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

I just registered and thought I'd share some pics of my project.

My son bought this 71 LeMans Sport Convertible for $750 in 1996 when he was 14. It was painted with gray primer on EVERYTHING including the bumpers (I need to locate new bumpers if anyone can help with that let me know, they're all pitted/rusted pretty bad).

When I looked at I saw that it had all of the original parts and the interior was in pretty good shape, only the drivers seat was trashed. I can't say that about the body. I got it on the road for him when he got his license and he drove it for about a year. The first "restoration" included a new top, recovered seats, carpet, new suspension bushings, converted to PDB and a complete wiring harness. All of which I did myself. It ran OK but was not reliable and looked like crap.

The second restoration started about 4 years ago. We had new rear quarters installed, repaired some rust in the fenders and had it painted. That whole process took 2 years and 2 body shops. The first shop was a nightmare but the second one was great. He fixed all of the issues from the first shop and painted it Atomic Orange (ala Z06).

I am at the point of reassembling it. The engine, trans and posi rear are out of a 68 GTO convert that I bought during the first resto as a parts car. The engine needs to be finished but it is bored .060 over, Edlebrock aluminum heads, intake and carb, Accel HEI, and Dougs Headers. The cam will be in the 224/228 range but that is still open for change. The rear gears will be changed to 3.73 from the current 3.08. I might add a 4spd auto from an 85 MonteSS but that is a little farther down the road. The 4 core radiator will be cooled by twin electric fans.

I spent a ton of hours on the dashboard restoration. For some reason it was bent out of shape. I mounted an aftermarket tach where the clock used to be and added a dash pad. It came out great in my opinion. Actually the whole interior will look great when it is all back together.

This weekend will be spent rebuilding the door hinges and realigning the doors and windows. Then the front suspension will be torn down and new poly bushings installed. For the years that it sat, the OEM bushings I did the first time around all dry rotted. I will also paint the engine bay and smooth out the firewall as best I can.

I could go on and on but you're probably bored by now!! I'll be asking a lot of questions over the next few months and I look forward to your expert help with this project. I'm glad I found this site too!!

The dimples on the firewall, are they spot welds or something else?

This is at the 2nd shop getting preped for the orange paint. That's my son actually doing some work!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

Some nice looking rides!!

THis has been a 14 year project.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hey hunter98ta, welcome to the boards. i live near you, i'd love to check out that vert. theres another but its 72 vert near you too, also orange. not sure who owns it but it was in the booth when i brought my car to get painted, i liked the orange so i got mine done the same color.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
hey hunter98ta, welcome to the boards. i live near you, i'd love to check out that vert. theres another but its 72 vert near you too, also orange. not sure who owns it but it was in the booth when i brought my car to get painted, i liked the orange so i got mine done the same color.
My door is always open to you and others with the same interests. I too would like to see your car. There are certain things that I did 10 years ago that have slipped my mind. I guess I killed off those brain cells! Having a similar car to look at would be a great help.

I work from home so give me a call anytime. On my street alone there are a bunch of vintage vettes, street rods and muscle cars. We just moved here from Glassboro (or should I say Rowanboro) in Nov and we love it down here.

I just went to RAZ Performance Machine today to talk about the engine. Have you heard of them on Rt 40?

Matt Ayers
856-213-5121

Old 05-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

right on Matt, i'll call you next week. i work nights. i'd blast out there right now, its really nice out today, but i have to work tonight.
had my engine done at d and f performance. very happy with the job. they are about 20 mins from newfield. about 5 miles from me. they're in williamstown.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
right on Matt, i'll call you next week. i work nights. i'd blast out there right now, its really nice out today, but i have to work tonight.
had my engine done at d and f performance. very happy with the job. they are about 20 mins from newfield. about 5 miles from me. they're in williamstown.
I'm looking forward to it!!

BTW, I had the car painted at Malia's in Williamstown.