Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Looks good, but paint your freeze plugs!
Yeah, it was painted by the engine builder. Darrell took one look at it and said, "You realize we're going to have to repaint the engine, don't you?"

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,

Did builder use original bolts?

How do they look after being torqued...blue, black and any other...?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott:
Let me be the first to welcome you to the great state of Georgia! You'll be able to enjoy your cars year-round now! If you make it down here in time, you should plan on attending the BOP show. It is in Marietta (North Atlanta) on April 29th and 30th this year. Shoot me a PM and let me know if you can make it and I'll email the details to you.

BJ

Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
Scott,

Did builder use original bolts?

How do they look after being torqued...blue, black and any other...?
Jeff -

Some bolts original, but not all. Does have the correct head bolts. Didn't notice if they looked any different after being torqued.

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Scott:
Let me be the first to welcome you to the great state of Georgia! You'll be able to enjoy your cars year-round now! If you make it down here in time, you should plan on attending the BOP show. It is in Marietta (North Atlanta) on April 29th and 30th this year. Shoot me a PM and let me know if you can make it and I'll email the details to you.

BJ
BJ -

The wife and I are going house hunting next week, but we're not moving in until mid June. Going to be tough to replace the setup I have here - - two garages and inside storage for 8 cars if I get creative. Sold my lift this past weekend .

I like the Ft Benning/Columbus area; I was stationed there from 1997-2000, so I'm somewhat familiar with it. Was working my @$$ off, so didn't spend any time fooling with musclecars and don't know what the musclecar scene in Columbus is like. I'm sure there are more than a few cars in Hot-Lanta.

Anyway, I'm ready to get out of the Great White North - northern VA is far enough north for this southern boy!

Thanks,

Scott

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott, there is a 1/8 drag strip in Phenix city Ala and a great 1/4 track just 45 min east from Columbus called Silver Dollar dragway.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Scott

Are they the stock front coil springs on the ground in that pic? If so, could you measure the length of them for me please.
Matt

Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
Scott, there is a 1/8 drag strip in Phenix city Ala and a great 1/4 track just 45 min east from Columbus called Silver Dollar dragway.
Have heard about the Silver Dollar dragway from some of my ferd buddies (I have a few Fairlanes). Great that there's a nice 1/4 mile track in the neighborhood.

There are a few road race venues in the area as well; Road Atlanta and also one outside Birmingham is within easy driving distance. Road race Javelin should be running/driving later this year.

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
Hey Scott

Are they the stock front coil springs on the ground in that pic? If so, could you measure the length of them for me please.
Matt
Matt -

Those are original coil springs in the pic. The car is 350 miles from here at Supercar Creations in Norton, Ohio, but will see if Darell (shop owner/PY member) can get some measurements.

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Hey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Matt -

Those are original coil springs in the pic. The car is 350 miles from here at Supercar Creations in Norton, Ohio, but will see if Darell (shop owner/PY member) can get some measurements.

Thanks

Scott
I think there is another BIG cruise somewhere between Atlanta and Valdosta...also begins with an "M"...but not Marietta. Help me out here. Anyway...just wanted to compliment you on picking all the right cars....and having the sense to live where you can enjoy them. Looking at getting out of here myself but have to hold on a few more years 'til the wife retires. Good luck on your "house hunting" adventures...but I hear that the deals are out there. Take care. ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
I think there is another BIG cruise somewhere between Atlanta and Valdosta...also begins with an "M"...but not Marietta. Help me out here. Anyway...just wanted to compliment you on picking all the right cars....and having the sense to live where you can enjoy them. Looking at getting out of here myself but have to hold on a few more years 'til the wife retires. Good luck on your "house hunting" adventures...but I hear that the deals are out there. Take care. ron
Ron -

Well, I'm leaving Northern VA for a few years, but I'm probably headed back here after another tour or two. Wife has 15 years invested in the local school system, so makes sense to stick it out until she's eligible to retire, too.

Houses with multiple car garages aren't terribly common in the Columbus area, but I've found one with two garages (2 cars per) that should work. The prior owner kept shivverlays in it, so it will have to be fumigated before I move my stuff in.

Good to hear from you,

Scott

Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Chief

Very nice car Scott. I had one question (perhaps indirectly for your metal-working man)...

I noticed he installed the trunk-pans and the rear quarters without the frame installed (or did he position the frame underneath)? Did he (or you) express any concerns about the body shifting during the repair, or did he add any gussets to x-brace the body while performing the metal-surgery?

I noticed the body was sitting on a jig, but I have always wondered whether the heat of welding (even spot welds) would cause the body to shift enough on the frame, and perhaps not go back together as nicely as original.

BTW, I have a '72 I am going to be doing the same thing too (albeit with repro skins) - I ended up with skins and elected not to send them back (have heard odd things about those repop full quarters having non-factory shapes around the 'lower rear window channels'.

Cheers,
Brian

'72 GTO (currently in body-off mode)
'69 Firebird (almost ready to terrorize the streets).

Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto406 View Post
Very nice car Scott. I had one question (perhaps indirectly for your metal-working man)...

I noticed he installed the trunk-pans and the rear quarters without the frame installed (or did he position the frame underneath)? Did he (or you) express any concerns about the body shifting during the repair, or did he add any gussets to x-brace the body while performing the metal-surgery?

I noticed the body was sitting on a jig, but I have always wondered whether the heat of welding (even spot welds) would cause the body to shift enough on the frame, and perhaps not go back together as nicely as original.

BTW, I have a '72 I am going to be doing the same thing too (albeit with repro skins) - I ended up with skins and elected not to send them back (have heard odd things about those repop full quarters having non-factory shapes around the 'lower rear window channels'.

Cheers,
Brian

'72 GTO (currently in body-off mode)
'69 Firebird (almost ready to terrorize the streets).
Brian -

If you'll check out post #64, you can see that the quarters were removed/replaced while the car was on the frame. I am not sure about the trunk pan.

The car is being done at Darrell Davidson's ("Notime" on PY) shop, Supercar Creations, in Norton, OH. Darrell posts on this thread periodically, so if he has anything to add, I'm sure he'll chime in.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

My apolgoies Scott! I was looking straight at it (guess I was focusing too much on the body line).

Would be interesting to hear if Darrell has any thoughts on where he would make a cut assuming he i) had to replace outer wheel-houses on a 70-72 GTO, and ii) he was using skins as opposed to repop (or OEM/used) quarters?

Many thanks again!
Brian.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto406 View Post
My apolgoies Scott! I was looking straight at it (guess I was focusing too much on the body line).

Would be interesting to hear if Darrell has any thoughts on where he would make a cut assuming he i) had to replace outer wheel-houses on a 70-72 GTO, and ii) he was using skins as opposed to repop (or OEM/used) quarters?

Many thanks again!
Brian.
Brian -

Recommend you give Darrell a call; might be difficult to give a full explanation here. Here's his contact info:

Supercar Creations LLC
5075 Wooster Rd W
Norton, OH. 44203
(330) 352 0110

Scott

Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post

Is it MOULTRIE, GA.?

One of the larger swap meets, not sure about a cruise.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I set the body on the frame rack, lifted it with a jack on each end and put 4 12" steel blocks under the rockers and welded them all together then cut angle iron the length from the rear mounts to the rack before cutting out old trunk, cut bottom half of quarters off to keep it structurely strong enough not to sag, then put the floor in and used the angle iron as a measurement/brace before welding trunk in and inner wheelhouses then put body back on frame to do outer wheelhouses and quarters, and doors were on and adjusted to old quarters before removing anything. We used an original california trunk from another 70 that has the correct stamp marks in the trunk and we seemed it at the rear that the bumper hides to the factory seem behind back seat and also used an original pair of used quarters from another california car and they fit perfect and still kept all the original spot welds and date stamps in the jambs. Cant tell you anything else cause i cant give away all my secrets!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Scott, any car/house updates to share? I got the new motor in mine a little over a week ago and just got done racing at Martin, MI in the FAST/Factory Stock race.

1970.5 Pontiac Tempest GT-37
400ci 4bbl 4sp 3.90:1
12.73 @ 112.42 2011 Pure Stock Drags
12.71 @ 110.58 2013 Martin FAST/FS race
12.70 @ 111.74 2014 Pure Stock Drags
12.60 @ 111.66 2015 Martin FAST/FS race

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
TH400/3.08 open
export car - factory heater delete
14.48 @ 95.86 w/ 2.14 60' 2018 Pure Stock Drags
14.47 @ 95.02 w/ 2.16 60' 2019 Martin FAST/FS race
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryrestoparts View Post
Hey Scott, any car/house updates to share? I got the new motor in mine a little over a week ago and just got done racing at Martin, MI in the FAST/Factory Stock race.
How did you do?

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryrestoparts View Post
Chris -

GTO update - it continues to progress. Redline finished the gauges; not cheap, but quick turnaround. Need to purchase some tires - going with Polyglas GT's over the less expensive Wide Ovals. Darrell is about to mix up a batch of Pepper Green so he can paint the steel wheels (Pepper Green is one of the colors that got body color wheels) and mount the tires. Trans is still in purgatory; waiting for parts. Rearend will be coming together soon w/aftermarket axles, posi unit, and Fabcraft 4.33's. Interior kit has been purchased.

Rest of my cars have started or completed the migration south to Georgia. Street/strip 67 Fairlane is in storage nearby until I can clean out a spot for it in the garage. Road race 71 Javelin project is in the detached garage. 66 Fairlane GT convt is still in paint jail in NC, but progressing nicely. 69 "Big Bad Green" AMX 390/4 sp is in hiding at an undisclosed location until I can figure out how to explain to the wife that I bought another project car

House update - I've been in Columbus, GA, for 2 weeks now. Renting a recently renovated house (necessary for wife approval) with two garages (necessary for my approval) in an older subdivision in North Columbus. Won't be doing any wrenching until we get settled in; will be at least a few more weeks before that happens.

How did you do at the FAST/Factory Stock race?

Scott