Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryrestoparts View Post
two weeks from today and the first day of the PSD will have been completed. Sadly, the new motor isn't ready. I don't want it rushed to get it in and ready, do it once, do it right, so it'll be about another month. A little bummed, but thats fine as I'm that close. This gives me more time to fix a few things here and there on the car and continue to practice launching the car.
There is talk of a FAST/FS race at US131 in Martin at the end of Oct, so thats the new goal for the new mill. We'll see what happens.

As for the improvements/changes/fixes I did prior to the Martin race in June. It's amazing what a good exhaust system will do for the breathing on the engine. shaved 1/2 a second and gained 3mph.
Did you go with the Pypes exhaust? That's what I'm going to use. Maybe go with Gardner at a later date.

My car is progressing. Darrell has rounded up the necessary sheetmetal (including nice OEM quarters), and I need to go through all my front suspension and brake stuff to see what my best pieces are.

Scott

Old 09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Did you go with the Pypes exhaust? That's what I'm going to use. Maybe go with Gardner at a later date.

My car is progressing. Darrell has rounded up the necessary sheetmetal (including nice OEM quarters), and I need to go through all my front suspension and brake stuff to see what my best pieces are.

Scott
yes, pypes x-pipe setup. race flow mufflers. the matching larger tips. also got a pair of the stainless band clamps where the pipes go into the mufflers in case I need to drop the exhaust and replace a clutch or trans. exhaust was quite a pita to install too. I really like the sound though.

1970.5 Pontiac Tempest GT-37
400ci 4bbl 4sp 3.90:1
12.73 @ 112.42 2011 Pure Stock Drags
12.71 @ 110.58 2013 Martin FAST/FS race
12.70 @ 111.74 2014 Pure Stock Drags
12.60 @ 111.66 2015 Martin FAST/FS race

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
TH400/3.08 open
export car - factory heater delete
14.48 @ 95.86 w/ 2.14 60' 2018 Pure Stock Drags
14.47 @ 95.02 w/ 2.16 60' 2019 Martin FAST/FS race
Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't been focused on the GTO as much as I should; have been working on other projects - rebuild 396 for 66 Chevelle SS, road race Javelin build, 66 Fairlane GT convt build, etc. Too many projects, not enough time.

Anyway, here's an update on recent progress and looking ahead to the next few months -

Darrell painted the frame (see below). It's in my garage now. I've cleaned all my suspension pieces/parts and have most of what I need. Darrel is working on the floor (patches) and trunk (replacement). Forgot to ask what's next, but will likely be replacing the quarters and tail panel.

Next steps -

Lots of blasting and painting of suspension components.

Rebuild rear; plan to stay with the 4.33 gear, but going with aftermarket axles and Detroit Eaton TrueTrac diff.

Need at least one very clean drum brake spindle; will probably see if I can find a pair. Same with steering knuckles; one is kind of beat up.

Need to figure out if I can buy reproduction drums that are exact matches for the factory front drums; car came with manual drums, but previous owner had swapped to disk brakes. I'm swapping back to manual drums.

Will buy aftermarket springs front and rear - my originals were quite tired.

Need to outfit control arms with new ball joints and bushings.

Looks like Inline Tube has a complete brake set for the rear - said to be concours correct and complete. Should be a lot easier than chasing down individual parts.

Here's a pic of the frame after Darrell painted it - very nice!

Thanks,

Scott

Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Darrell has made more progress on the body - trunk pan is in, inner wheelhouses in. He used a trunk pan from a donor car; the reproductions are not exactly correct for a 70. Quarters are going on next; they also came from a donor car. They're not dirt cheap, but fit better than reproductions.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking great Scott! Nice fit on the trunk pan.

BJ

Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Looking great Scott! Nice fit on the trunk pan.

BJ
Thanks, BJ. Darrell does nice work.

Scott

Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta be getting ready for spring? Motor pix? Did you get it dynoed?? Love those go fast rare RAIV goats. Didn't put those in birds in the 70's...

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Gotta be getting ready for spring? Motor pix? Did you get it dynoed?? Love those go fast rare RAIV goats. Didn't put those in birds in the 70's...
Won't be ready for the spring. Summer at the soonest. Motor was built by PY member Jim Lehart (Mr. Pbody on the forums) and it's been done for many months, sitting in the corner of the garage now. No pics, but I need to take some. No dyno sheet yet.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 01-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did you find that passenger door?

Looks very nice.

Jeff

Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
Where did you find that passenger door?

Looks very nice.

Jeff
Well, I have a buddy in NC who has LOTS of nice GTO's and Judges, but the only thing that I could convince him to sell me was an old Tropical Lime Lemans.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are right...hes doing an incredible job from the looks of things!

This is going to be a real nice one in your collection.

Thanks for sharing the progress.

Jeff

Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Drove up to Darrell's shop yesterday to drop off some parts. Car is really looking good with some good progress being made. Metal work is done and time to start on the bodywork. See pics below.

Transmission is being rebuilt by Jody's Transmissions in Reading, PA.

Sending off the wiper motor to Danny at www.wiperworks.net.

Pete Serio is rebuilding the shifter.

Need a pair of nice black rear interior panels - the hard plastic ones. The ones that I have are pretty good, but have a few scratches and a gouge or two. Looking for something cleaner.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow Scott, thats looking nice.

my new engine is coming along. it's in long block form and will be done and on the dyno next month. I'm getting REAL excited.

1970.5 Pontiac Tempest GT-37
400ci 4bbl 4sp 3.90:1
12.73 @ 112.42 2011 Pure Stock Drags
12.71 @ 110.58 2013 Martin FAST/FS race
12.70 @ 111.74 2014 Pure Stock Drags
12.60 @ 111.66 2015 Martin FAST/FS race

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
TH400/3.08 open
export car - factory heater delete
14.48 @ 95.86 w/ 2.14 60' 2018 Pure Stock Drags
14.47 @ 95.02 w/ 2.16 60' 2019 Martin FAST/FS race
Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sent a hood latch off to PY member Norwood today.

Lots more stuff to do and buy, but won't be too long before we start putting things together.

Scott

Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sooooo...which shifter?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Scott, the body is back on the mock up chassis and ready for some body work! Need to do some work on the doors and the hood and nose are still at the blasters, hes running behind and wont have it done for a week or 2 but theres plenty of work there. I'm really happy how everything fit together, a far cry from using repop panels, but i guess they would fit, their original california parts which is even better than NOS! Heres a couple pics and 1 in bare metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3698.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	238310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4140.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	238312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4196.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	238313  

Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
Sooooo...which shifter?
Went with the 4555. Found one in my garage after I had already bought one from a member here.

Thanks

Scott

Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Scott, the body is back on the mock up chassis and ready for some body work! Need to do some work on the doors and the hood and nose are still at the blasters, hes running behind and wont have it done for a week or 2 but theres plenty of work there. I'm really happy how everything fit together, a far cry from using repop panels, but i guess they would fit, their original california parts which is even better than NOS! Heres a couple pics and 1 in bare metal.
Thanks for posting the pics, Darrell. That California sheetmetal looks really nice. Really pleased with how things are going.

Scott

Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Made another trip to Supercar Creations in Ohio to drop off parts. I'm moving from Virginia to Columbus, Georgia in a few weeks, so this was my last trip to Ohio for a while.

The body is off the rotisserie and on a spare frame. Darrell has started on the bodywork.

Have just about everything needed for the frame and suspension with the exception of the rear end. I have the housing, but need to order some Moser axles and will also be using a Detroit Eaton TrueTrac rear differential.

Wiper motor is done. Hood latch is done. Pete should be sending the shifter out soon. Transmission isn't done yet, but hopefully soon.

Have a long list of NOS or used parts to scrounge, including 9099 choke, TCS components, temp and oil pressure sending units, jack, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good, but paint your freeze plugs!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978