Old 10-24-2004, 05:52 PM

This is quite interesting...

My 70 GTO convertible, built in Fremont (2/70), has the Formula wheel option (shown as code 464 on the PHS window sticker). My steering column is blue, matching the interior.

To back this up, I have the original build sheet (found in the during restoration) and it shows the STRG COL COLOR (#71) as BLUE. And, #69, STRG WHL is LEATH. There's also an NK3 code (SIM LEATHER S) listed with the rest of the options on the build sheet.

So, I guess they did paint the steering columns to match the interior color.

Jack

Old 10-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave it to Fremont to do something different...

This brings up another anomally, the options and accessories catalog, as posted by BobsGTO, shows the UPC to be NK1 for the Formula steering wheel. Jack's source, the factory broadcast sheet, shows the same option to be NK3. This appears to be another instance where PMD changed a small detail after the catalogs were printed. Anyone have a revised '70 Accessories catalog with the correct NK3 code?

Old 10-25-2004, 02:24 AM

Interesting anomoly. The catalog I have has a print date of September, 1969, so if someone has a later version, please let us know.

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Originally: Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood Int/ Sandalwood Top w/ 400 4BBL Auto Trans
Currently: Red/Sandalwood Int/White Top w/ 400 4BBL Manual Trans
Built in Baltimore Plant - 1st week of Nov. 1969
Old 10-25-2004, 05:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow jack, that is interesting,..although I have 3/70 freemont build, I have aded the formula wheel,it is an original & I think they look super!! as others have said, mine has some of the dried up look of an older wheel but I just put a wrap on it &think it looks fine,..now, I am not the concourse type purist but do like to have my car correct as posible when adding or deleting options,..would really like to here from others with formula wheel that have sandlewood int.as to what color steering col. are. sounds as if maybe a person could get it a couple diff. ways. great post, tom

Old 10-25-2004, 01:46 PM

As FYI, the original formula wheel on my car measures ~ 3.75" in circumference.

Jack

Old 10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pontiac built Judges' build sheet (listed as T.A. SPT STR WHL) and PHS only list 464. My original window sticker was tore on that side and can only read "RING WHEEL-FORMULA 464 42.13".

Old 10-27-2004, 06:19 AM

A friend of mine has a 56,000 mile original paint unrestored 71 Judge with dark brown interior with an original Formula wheel. His column is brown to match the interior. I went to look at his car a few weeks ago to check this out because I am installing a Formula wheel on my polar white/dark blue interior 70 Judge. I have seen it both ways on different cars over the years and did not know which way is "correct".His car has never been touched, although it is getting in need of some work. As for me, I think it looks better when the column is painted black, it makes the Formula wheel look like it belongs there and is not an afterthought. But thats just my opinion...

Old 10-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Polarwhite,
Wondering what plant & time built is your friends '71 Judge?

From reading latest posts, am not ready to just make this a "Fremont thing", as the detailed info I previously added, is what I've had my hands on, & several of those cars were(are) original Fremont cars.

Fluke deals happen in production. To give an example, my HO GT-37 came with pebble grain black dash bezel & factory installed rally guages. The typical T-37 or GT-37 for '71, when equipped with rally guages, had woodgrain dash bezel, not the "std idiot light"/black pebble grain bezel. When I was doing the GT-37 survey in the early 90's, ran across the original owner of a '71 GT-37 that had idiot lights & wood grain dash bezel, car had never been altered. Even one of the original magazine roadtests on a '71 GT-37 shows a black pebble grain dash bezel & rally guages. My point is there is a way things were planned to be built & sometimes, asm line strayed from that guide. Believe this is what we are seeing with some body colored steering columns & factory installed Formula wheels.

Trusting buildsheets as the 100% gospel...
On buildsheets, they only note how a vehicle was supposed to be built. When certain coded parts were no longer avail, there are instances where the buildsheet called for the part but another part was used. Good example, is JW in the wheel box on buildsheets of early '71 T/A's equipped with rally wheels. The '70 1/2 code JW's were not used, but one of 2 or 3 dates of KN's were used. Have also seen this happen with buildsheets calling for JT 14x6 rally II wheels, when all plants were using KU's. Could go on & on, but one should get the point.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default resurrection

would the black column be full gloss, semi gloss or completely flat in colour?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think 60 degree gloss black IIRC.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

Just a quick question...Ol Pinion Head posted in post 6 that he owned an Orbit Orange 70 Judge with a red interior, anyone got a pic of it, or another with those same colours?
Just curious to see one, that's all.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What ever happened to OPH anyway - haven't heard from him in a while.

BJ

Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have an 09/69 Oshawa built GTO with the formula wheel and a dk. brown (253) interior. Steering column was semi gloss brown.

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Stu View Post
I have an 09/69 Oshawa built GTO with the formula wheel and a dk. brown (253) interior. Steering column was semi gloss brown.
any pictures of it Stu?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70 LeMans, swapping to floor shift and repro Formula wheel (black), trying to decide what color to paint column and hub.

I'm obviously not concerned about originality, but hoping to get some pics for comparison.

I am thinking of painting column and hub the interior color to stick with LeMans feel. Seems the "correct" would have a black hub, with or without a color-painted column. Black hub seems like it would look "wrong" with color on column, even if it is correct. When the wheel was colored in the TAs, they had colored hubs.

Anyone have any pics showing:

a) color on column, black hub, black wheel?

In all the threads about this topic, I never saw a photo of it, even though several have this as original.

b) color on column, color on hub, black wheel

May be incorrect, but I'd like to see it if anyone has done this

Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I owed a bunch of them , late 70 -71 formula wheel an large imprint on it IE,72 small print ie, 73 iex,74 nothing ,all had the seams around all aluminum wheel ,if you took the horn button off it had a notch all fat wheels ,with a scalloping effect on the back of the wheel, after that they got thinner ,the later ones I think 78-81 were steel spokes with two notches in them if you removed the horn pad. I believe the column and collar were all black where as the Trans am were color keyed to the interior

Old 10-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the details around all this stuff is pretty complex if you are trying to restore accurately.

Thankfully, my goal was just to get pictures of different options for painting a swapped-in column and the formula wheel hub.

I was able to find a bunch on the web (attached), and have ruled out having a black hub with a color-keyed column. It just looks weird to me.

Black everything is probably safest, but if I decide to be colorful, I'd go with painting the hub the same as the column. I think the color-keyed column and hub over-emphasizes the column, though, so am leaning toward all black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula Column Color Schemes.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	410243  

Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did a 70 Formula wheel in an A-body have black or silver spokes?

Was the black hub painted with a wrinkle finish or some other "rough" texture?

Old 10-22-2015, 04:54 PM

The other steering wheel option in 1971 was the Sport wheel. My father was the original owner and the column matches the saddle interior.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

melwff

Thanks for sharing

I'd love to see a photo if you are willing