Old 12-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like you said, PB, a VERY fine, rare AND desirable Pontiac, but - details, details, details!

Not only is the evap house incorrect, but so is the evap TVS purge valve. I suppose the resistor is on the firewall due to a missing untized distributor - gotta drop the voltage to a points distributor. Should have replaced the engine harness for a more correct appearance, but REALLY should have spent the bucks for the correct unitized pieces for $125K! Also, the inatke manifold should be painted engine color.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 12-29-2004, 06:21 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Does the rivot scare anyone beside me, not only is it in upside down but maybe that is an attempt to cover up the non star rivot?

Old 12-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I have owned 4 '72 GTOs over the years.
1. Lucerne blue,white int 400/auto HT
2. Silver/black int 455HO/4spd (non WW5)
3. Cardinal red 455HO/4spd WW5
4. and my current one...Cardinal red 455HO/auto WW5. I am the 3rd owner, bought it in '84. Sold new in Scottsdale, Az. I have original drivetrain. other options besides WW5, a/c, tilt, am/fm, rear defrost. It is upgraded with 'glass bumper, rear batt, Recaro seats, T/A front bar, steering linkage and WS6 box, polished 8" snowflakes (my favorite factory wheel), big stereo, tri-y headers, Walker muffs, reciever hitch to pull the boat, 4 wheel disc brakes, temporary power windows (no holes drilled in door jambs), 3-1 low gear trans, larger gas tank, geez, I can't remember all the upgrades I made to this car. I have put close to 90,000 miles on it since 2000. It is a great car. I have enjoyed seeing other '72s here too! Keep them coming! Steve
More info on car at www.pontiacheaven.org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov05$29.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	14835  

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 12-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here is a copy of my build sheet, I`ve added a few options as i plan to keep this car forever!! It still has the unitized ign. w/ nos sparkplug wires, I`ve added p/w windows, locks seat,tilt steering and factory cruise control, I believe it just about has every option available! then again it came with alot also, looks like the original tried to make it as close to a "gto" as possible( posi rear gauges tach ect...)those vin rivets makes me suspect a body swap?? I`m real anal on the details, and I see alot of shortcuts and incorrct things on that car, but it does look very nice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	455_ho2_002.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	14628  

Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	455_ho3_003.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	16859  

Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will never tire of seeing pics of your gorgeous car, Forrest!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 12-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Senior Chief

Pat,

I would be VERRRY cautious as mentioned by steved400 above!

Here is my VIN with the black plastic piece covering the rivets (don't know why your photo doesn't show that). The second onh is without the cover(this is all easy when there is no windshield glass). I'm no expert but I believe most of the true experts on this forum would say that the rivots should be the "flower" shaped ones (2nd pic). Hope these come out ok ... if not I'll retry.

The ones in your pic appear to be "pop rivets".

Just my 2 cents worth ...

Ogre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00155.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	23315  

Old 12-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Chief

Whoops only the second one came out and it's WAY too big, but I hope you get the idea.

Ogre

Old 12-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Senior Chief

Let me try the covered one again ...

Ogre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00151-2.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	10417  

Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 PM
formerly Steved400

I tried to take my plastic piece off last night for a pic and broke it, then my camera wouldn't take a clear enough pic.

Go figure.

Old 12-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

On second thought ...

Just so nobody misunderstands my posts above. I'm not questioning the authenticity of the car or anybody selling it. It may very well be the REAL DEAL. It is definitely a beautiful vehicle.

The VIN tag may have been removed during the resto and then re-mounted. But it does not appear to be the original mounting, so 125K may be too much on this small detail.

Ogre

Old 12-31-2004, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 72 HT, but it isnt as pretty as these! Someday it will be nice and runing again!

Old 12-31-2004, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Todd, I had a 70 gto back in 1975 painted like the one you have on your pictures under your name (mine was silver and had the hood scoop area painted black) that`s what got me started on these here pontiacs!!!

Old 12-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned above... lots of detailing probs on the yellow one.

At very least, engine needs to come out, & to be painted the correct '71-early '73 color. Painted alt & p/s brackets would be best plated correctly.

Next the windshield, gotta come out... incorrect rivets could use replacing with correct VIN rivets. VIN tag could also use all the paint stripped off of it, then have the correct color plastic pop-in VIN bezel installed.

What's up with the red oxide primer on the underbody??? Currently storing two original Pontiac plant '72's (one with 6K original miles) & neither have red oxide primer on their underbodys.

For anywhere near $125K, like PB, I expect flawless perfect...
-correct detailed suspension,
-correct material preheater ducts,
-embossed dated accessory belts,
-correct part number battery cables & correct battery.
-The list goes on...

Old 01-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a pic of my 72 vert:

It's an original 350, 2bbl car, but now sports a 1970 455 GTO block and heads from a 69 GTO, the head numbers escape me right now. I bought it last February. I put in all new interior and put in a GTO dash bezel I had. I also installed a stereo system which can be easily removed and replaced to stock. I also added the stripe. I debated on the sword or the GT stripe. I wish I put on the GT stripe now. I love that reflective stripe. It's an original cardinal red car. PS, tilt, AC which has been converted over to 134, disc brakes. After I bought it, I noticed that the heads were threaded on and not bolted. Someone went to some work to get that done. It has a holley double pumper on it now, but I will replace with a factory carb/distributor soon. It's got HEI now but I will put pertronics on it when I switch out the dist. It scoots down the road very nicely though. I may end up selling it if my house dosn't sell. I just bought a new house and now own 2 Anyone want to buy a house in the KC area? Hopefully it won't come to that. Anyway this is one of my babies. My other one is a GTO, the one in my Avatar and the one posted on page one from ultimategto. If you read all this way, thanks
Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ubb.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	12189  

Old 01-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the interior. All I need to do is add a rear sway bar which I have, and a bigger diameter front one, and VIOLA, a GTO for all practical purposes! Only the people in the know, knows there never was one! But it was fun changing everything to make it look like one in 72.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ubb2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	14421  

Old 01-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to 'jack a post, but the rivet thing has me puzzled, as I have seen them both ways on unmolested cars. The rivet is correct, but you are viewing the back side of a "star" or "flower" rivet. Any of you folks with original cars, please chime in with your year and plant location and see if there is any rhyme or reason to this issue. Could warrant a new post maybe?

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW...C.A.R.E.F.U.L. removing the vin bezel, as you are playing with fire. I think they are meant to break if tampered with, as i try to salvage them out of boneyards with little success. And another thing...why is the nicest pair of original '71 taillights I've seen in a '72...with a ducktail, no less?

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:22 PM
formerly Steved400

jegstek

There is reason, it's probably rebodied. Not only is the rivot upside down but the VIN plate itself is mounted on the wrong side of the dash panel. Now I didn't see the car rebodied, it's an assumption. Convertibles are very prone to mass rust, VIN numbers with great options are high risk for rebodies. It is highly likely an assembly line worker did not go through the trouble to put the plate under the dash panel and get in the body in such a manner to put the rivots in upside down.

Steve

Old 01-01-2005, 07:36 PM
formerly Steved400

Quote from Carl Papke December 28 1991, former Pontiac Plant line worker 1963-1969.

Carl: "I tell you one thing, in the factory you couldn't get your hands on the rivets used to hold the VIN tags on the the body. There was one guy that was responsible for them rivets. If he put three tags on, he had to use six rivets. He turned his rivets in. I looked for rivets before, and they weren't around."

Not related to the car in discussion, but interesting.