THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like just putting the cover on it while you sleep will achieve your goals. (Limit attention.) Since you don't have a "show car," I wouldn't worry about putting the cover on it at night. If you'd like - go over it with one of those car dusters first.

Agree that the car cover on a moving car is a really bad idea - for many reasons.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Audi ships cars with covers on open trailers, you gotta get the rite one that’s the thing.
Even garage covers people are cheap and get the thin ones.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not the car cover that does the damage - it's the dirt that blows under the cover while driving down the road. Take a nice soft car towel and dust it on the pavement and that's about what is under the cover within a few miles down the road.

Had a friend that had an expensive California Car Cover and used it on his '66 Chevelle SS and left the car parked outside during a windy night. Next day there were rub spots all over the car where it had been taken down to bare steel. Couldn't have done any more damage with a polisher with an abrasive coated foam pad.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New transit rail cars from Siemens in Sacramento are shrink wrapped before transport by truck or rail. Also seen Teslas and Porsches shipped that way

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 02:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Plenty of boat shops around here that do that ... if I had thought of that six months ago I might have been prepared

Just checked the local prices, looks like it would be $374 to shrink wrap a GTO (based on their per-foot prices). So ... kind of expensive for a 20 hour trip. But ... a pretty good idea if someone was taking like a three day trip across country.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There Might be a members place you could park it at night that would help with the safety factor. I have had members cars here for 10 months to 2 years lol...

Old 04-02-2024, 03:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The distance of this trip is so annoying ... about 19 hours towing. I can go 16 no problem ... so 16 rolls around and I alway say, screw it I can last another three. Wife is always with me to jab me if I nod off ... Seriously, I've never even got close to falling asleep, not with three or four cups of coffee along the way.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The distance of this trip is so annoying ... about 19 hours towing. I can go 16 no problem ... so 16 rolls around and I alway say, screw it I can last another three. Wife is always with me to jab me if I nod off ... Seriously, I've never even got close to falling asleep, not with three or four cups of coffee along the way.
Where are you headed?

Old 04-02-2024, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The only thing you have control
over is your driving - my advice
from transporting year round
since 2006 ...

Plan the trip in good weather.

Weather turns ****ty - get
off the road.

Be off the road an hour before
sunset until an hour after sunrise.

Stay at a motel a few miles off
the interstate and park next
to your room or where you
can see your truck & trailer
from your room - disable
your truck so it can't be stolen.

Take Your Time ...

Jim

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trulyvintage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ive hauled my 66 2+2 conv from Augusta GA to KC and Raleigh NC to KC on a Uhaul hauler. No issue. My car is a driver and got no rock chips if that is what you are worried about. I got caught in a couple of showers but drafting behind the truck kept it pretty much dry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Redpiston For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

necdb3 .. NY to TN ... I'm an escapee

Luckily I'm flexible enough to wait for a couple of days of absolutely clear weather.

TrulyVintage ... I gotta say, I'm a big fan of driving at night, almost no traffic, no need to "keep up with traffic". (Bear in mind I worked nights for 40 years, I'm at my peak about 2am).

Typical for me on these trips would be leaving at 6am, arriving at destination at around midnight. So, mostly daytime driving. But I have been known to leave at 9pm and drive all night (missing traffic in the city interchanges) and arrive a 3pm the next day. I'm more likely to get sleepy at 2pm than I am at 2am.

I have an internal clock permanently altered by night shifts ... for example it's 2am right now ... this is when I do all my paperwork, research, light shop work etc. I'll be up to 7am and then have to force myself to sleep for a couple of hours in the morning, then another nap in the afternoon ... that's about it

Old 04-03-2024, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pigeon Forge?

Old 04-03-2024, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

necdb3, I'm headed to West TN, specifically a little town called Greenfield, in the Martin TN area. Farm country.
Found 30 acres, used to be a dairy farm many years ago, all the farm building have long since gone away, still a small house on the property for us to live in till we build a new house. I grew up about 1.5 hours away outside Memphis.... 40+ years ago, parents are still in TN.