Old 11-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1976 TRANSAM 400 manual production numbers ?

I was searching on the web about the 1976 Pontiac Transam 400 4 speed production numbers and could not find it. Anybody knows ???

Old 11-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Fabulous Firebird by Michael Lamm states that there were 5424 400/4speed & 7528 455/4-speed T/A's built in 1976,so the 400 stick is RARER than the 455.(horsepower difference was negligible,like 15?)

Old 11-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks too many TA's !!! For me it's : Not enough TA's !!! I found this one last weekend, the car is all original 2 owners with a little over 70000 miles. I like the color which is maroon with red dash and white seats, door panels and headliner. The car has been sitting 20 years in the guy's garage and the gas went real bad in the tank. The bottom of the fenders, doors and quarter panels are rusty, floors are good and the windshield is cracked. The TA has beautiful silver honeycombs with all trims and caps still intact ! I was surprise to see the valve covers are not chrome ? Will the transmission be a BW ST-10 ? He said he still starts it once in a while by pooring gas in the carb. Is $4800 usd. too much for that car ?

Old 11-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And I believe all the 455's were 4-speeds.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Chief

check the vin to see if you got firethorn, if you do you got a pretty rare car on your hands because it was a one year only color for 76, and i would hold onto it imo
i'd kill to have a 4speed but auto work good for straight line and whatnot

Old 11-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chrome valve covers went away at the end of the 70 model year run @ didn't come back until the 77-79 W72 T/A 6.6 option. (they were hard chrome,NOT bumper chrome like the earlier ones)

Original trans would have been a Super T-10 with a 2:43 low gear,I believe.

The price is a bit on the high side,but these cars ARE climbing in value & it sounds like this one is fairly original & complete.

How many miles? Is interior decent? Dash cracked?

Cost of body & paint will likely exceed purchase price.

THat's OK,if the car is what you like & want.

You may be waiting awhile for another one in that color/condition with a STICK! It IS a 30 year old car.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks again everyone ! I will try to post a pic, the car is 200 miles away from me and a friend of mine found it for me but told me it was a 75 which I like better ie. 70-75 are my favorites. the interior needs a headliner, driver seat recovered and door panels, dash is nice. I would of seriously thought of buying it, if it was a 455 4 speed. I forgot to take the color code but it sure looks burgundy to me.