Old 10-17-2005, 01:13 AM

Default 428 H.O Rebuild - not too wild .

I am wanting to do a rebuild on my 428 H.O ffor 69 GP. I wish to maintain the stock look of the H.O manifolds and Q-Jet/intake etc. Would like to get around 450-475 HP out of it though. .....or more up to 500.
Has anybody out there been there done that before here ?
I would like some specifics on what parts you used ( such manufacters names and part #s) and what exactly was done internally 3 angle valve, cam degree, porting etc.
Compression ratio stuff like that would be nice.
Any one motor recipe list would be welcome .
Thanx !

Old 10-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I would begin by obtaining Jim Hand's xlnt "Pontiac V-8s" book from our host, Performance Years. Read and understand how to modify these engines and then check out the highly-detailed buildups (including 428s) by major Pontiac engine builders listed in the back.

For starters I recommend a 455 crank (HEAVY cars need BIG torque), #96/ 6X-8/ 4X-7h heads ported to 250cfm, zero-decked/studded bottom end/short-filled block, steel rods (Crowers would be my choice), light pistons and pins, ARP fasteners thru-out, flat tappet hyd. cam around 230/240 dergrees @ .050/ valve lift around .550, Rhoads lifters for improved vacuum and driveability, HEI or MSD ignition, balanced rotating assembly, and a Cliff's Q-jet. The head choices should give you around 9 to1 compression, which I recommend as the upward limit as octane continues to be reduced for whatever reasons .

In order to reach your goal, I would recommend Doug's 4 tube headers, 2.5" X pipe, mufflers and tailpipes. You could port your HO manifolds, but they will not match full length headers and will be a restriction @ the hp levels you are aiming for.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins

Last edited by wheelspin; 10-17-2005 at 01:36 PM.