Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-25-2023, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Your reputation says your exaggerating. Has it happened I'm sure it has. Just like I bet someone out there has pulled studs out of an edelbrock head. You have a tendency to post a lot of hearsay with no actual experience. I have put my HP heads through the ringer without issues. Also my d-ports see lots of street use with decent spring pressure without issue. I sure wouldn't base what heads I buy on rocker stud threads. In this case due to potential head clearance issues the edelbrock round heads are best choice for power followed by either kre or edelbrock d-port heads.
Unfortunately for you, you’re not in the majority. It’s obvious there’s a small group of Gach haters and you usually start it off. Its funny you didn’t jump all over griver post…LOL was he lying did he make it up…LOL oh no he was exaggerating !!

Old 08-25-2023, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Thing is, in the end a heli coil is still just steel on aluminum threads. If a bolt is being used a lot, tightened, adjusted ect I could see it being a big deal.
Usually rocker studs are tightened down only a couple times in the life of the head.
So the only difference in a heli coil not pulling out is that its one size larger in diameter, thats it.
And yes, shaft rockers would help, 3 bolts are stronger than one.
That's true, but the increase in surface area contact for the threads is exponential. Small increase in size, big gain in strength.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Really? You have personal experience with this?
I ran 1100lbs open 500lbs on seat 9000rpm with zero issues. I think your info is exaggerated.
Brian,
You try different things to see what works. That can be expensive, but it puts you out front. While some people just follow along with what other people tell them works.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s pretty obvious he has no intentions on spending $1500-$ 1800 (depending on the brand ) on a rocker Shaft set up. Because he’s afraid of threads pulling out. LOL

Last edited by Gach; 08-26-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a compromise in this discussion, if you buy a set of KRE heads weather there D-ports or high ports make sure you check them to make sure the threads aren’t compromised from the get go.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD2000TA View Post
I am working on gathering parts to rebuild my 455. It's a YC block, .030 overbore, with #96 d port heads.

My plan is to upgrade to aluminum heads. For the longest time, I only wanted ported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. But, as I'm gathering parts and researching, I've "heard" (internet rumor) that the Kaufmann Racing Heads are equal or of better design.

Is there a preference to either head? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

Next: Crankshaft. I currently have a factory 455 "N" crank. But, I'm considering going with a forged crank with 4.25" stroke and 2.20 rod journals. Again, any advantage/disadvantage going with the 4.25" stroke on my 455? Would keeping my current crankshaft and upgrading to h-beam rods/Ross pistons work fine?

Lastly, I currently have a standard Performer intake due to the Shaker clearance. I am running the Holley Sniper and plan to keep that. But, will a Torker II or RPM be the better choice? Meaning, yes, I know those intakes will make a huge difference in power compared to the standard Performer, but will having to use a drop-base air cleaner negate any performance gain of those intakes?

Thanks!!
If I was doing that build I'd go with the ported RPM E heads, 4.25 forged crank and rods, But, for the sake of the shaker, I'd stay with the stock intake but have it worked over. I assume you're keeping the 234/244 cam? I think that would be a really nice combo for street use.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The studs are 7/16 and you only torque them to 35 lbs. Kinda hard to pull the threads at that torque.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I would like to know is how many of those people really needed to be running a Stud Girdle and didn't?

Also here is Graph of how CR changes with added stroke if volume after piston starts the same.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac_455_CR_Stroke_Change.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	618829  

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-26-2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
The big question you need to answer for your own good is this.

How much HP do you want to make.

After this the next question is a A and B .
The A part of it you need to answer is how much hp do you think you need ?

The B section is how much is good drivability important to you.

Keep this in mind.

Your stock 96 castings along with Headers can make you a easy 390 hp with the Performer intake along with excellent idle and drivability.

As you step up in the level of intake air flow a head can provide your going to start a trade off process between drivability and top end HP.

Once you get to the point where you have a head on the motor that your not making full use of the intake air flow it can provide, then your really going to trade off idle quality, drivability under 3000 rpm and the level of HP you where looking to make will not be achieved either.

Most of the aftermarket heads even out of the box flow like 260 intake cfm@28” and should make you 500 HP while not effecting your drivability with even 455 cid, no less stroking it larger.

If you have never even driven a car with a motor making a solid 450 hp then don’t go over board paying for and installing parts to make 600 HP.

Don’t go over board with Flow numbers and or HP just to have short lived bragging rights!
Yes, I have driven cars with over 450 horse. My 2001 Trans Am has a stroked LS6 that dyno'd at 500 rwhp and my daily ride is a 2022 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody. I'm looking for roughly 535-550 horse, and 590ish in torque. I recently rebuilt the 10 bolt rear with a new Eaton carrier. 3.42 gears and Dutchman axles. The turbo 350 is going to be swapped for a t-56 next year as well.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 6-Speed, LS6 block, TEA LS6 heads, 4" SCAT forged crank, SCAT H-Beam rods, 226/234 cam, McLeod RST clutch, SLP Lid, SLP Power Flo Catback
1980 Pontiac Trans Am Y-84 Bandit WS6, 455 (.030 over), #96 Heads, Hedman headers, Wolverine 234/244 cam, Performer intake, Holley Sniper
"Need a car to run blocker. Speedy car. Speedier than that....."
The Following User Says Thank You to BAD2000TA For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
My 78 still has a massaged Shaker base with a T2. Tight but OK. Has run 10.90s with 2 different 455 with it and only a slight wedge spacer to get the angle an the Shaker perfect. Both motors used stock 455 cranks, but aftermarket rods and pistons.

It depends on if you have D port headers already. I have seen some guys make good power with D port KRE heads but I think a lot more work to get the same flow as the round port E heads. 2" headers a little easier on the round port motors.
Thanks, Skip. Based on the consensus here, I think my plan will be ported E heads. As for intake, while I get that the factory intake can make good power, I have the Sniper which is a square bore flange. Utilizing a factory intake isn't really an option. I think that the Torquer II is probably the best option.

Thank to all that replied. I really appreciate the insight and advice!!!!

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 6-Speed, LS6 block, TEA LS6 heads, 4" SCAT forged crank, SCAT H-Beam rods, 226/234 cam, McLeod RST clutch, SLP Lid, SLP Power Flo Catback
1980 Pontiac Trans Am Y-84 Bandit WS6, 455 (.030 over), #96 Heads, Hedman headers, Wolverine 234/244 cam, Performer intake, Holley Sniper
Old 08-27-2023, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With a ported E-head 550 hp is very easy to make. I like you line up of cars, real nice variety.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Peformer intake is a "turd" in a 455 build at the power level you're heading for.

No advantage whatsoever going to a 4.25" stroke and 6.8" long rods vs stock strokce and 6.625" rods assuming the same type of rod and piston. The shorter rods will have a little less reciprocating and spinning weight and yank the piston around with a tad more authority, but power advantages at the RPM range then engine will run in doesn't make the 6.8" long rod a better choice.

Far as intakes, the T-II is excellent, but requires at least a 1" spacer to show all it's colors, proven from both dyno and track testing I've done with single plane intakes here.

Far as heli-coils for aluminum heads, nice upgrade IMHO. KRE didn't heli-coil for the rocker studs early on and were also using thick guide plates and relatively short threaded rocker studs. This didn't allow enough thread engagement. I caught the problem early and told them about it.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD2000TA View Post
Yes, I have driven cars with over 450 horse. My 2001 Trans Am has a stroked LS6 that dyno'd at 500 rwhp and my daily ride is a 2022 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody. I'm looking for roughly 535-550 horse, and 590ish in torque.
Are you talking rear wheel or Flywheel numbers here when you say 535-550? I'm assuming rwhp from the context, so that would be approximately 650ish flywheel hp?

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 08-28-2023, 12:48 AM

Thanks, Cliff. I always appreciate your input!!!

Old 08-28-2023, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff while a 1" spacer may make the Torker II make better HP my pump gas HFT 455 with a 1/4"x3/8" angled spacers is making 550-575HP through a TA air cleaner! A SD modified Holley intake dynoed the same as the T2. The Tomahawk is based off that.

The Sniper may not need the "dimples" a Holley needs-which were more than the Demon I first ran on it.

I ran the Demon on the HO intake for awhile(picked up a bunch swapping at the track over a worked QJ-even with an adapter))-then swapped it on the T2. Idled better and made more HP both.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 09-01-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Cliff while a 1" spacer may make the Torker II make better HP my pump gas HFT 455 with a 1/4"x3/8" angled spacers is making 550-575HP through a TA air cleaner! A SD modified Holley intake dynoed the same as the T2. The Tomahawk is based off that.

The Sniper may not need the "dimples" a Holley needs-which were more than the Demon I first ran on it.

I ran the Demon on the HO intake for awhile(picked up a bunch swapping at the track over a worked QJ-even with an adapter))-then swapped it on the T2. Idled better and made more HP both.
Skip - quick question: Are you using a Torker II with a stock TA air cleaner and Shaker? Along with the forementioned spacer? Any pics? I would think it would be slightly too tall.