Old 03-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that it’s a neat car, but can’t believe the money he is expecting. I have a 1970 Judge (RA III) and an almost complete SR RA IV motor in my basement (I need a crank). If I were to remove the matching RA III and replace it with the IV, it would be a ‘neat’ car, but I couldn’t then turn around and ask a RA IV price for a RA III car. True, RA V heads are harder to come by then RA IVs, so they do get the “rarity’ nod, or appropriate for a museum piece (which is where the probably belong in a museum b/c a well tuned RA IV is going to outrun a V on the street), but it’s still a RA III car with a RA V engine.

My SR RA IV motor is actually going to go into my 1970 Trans Am, only because, though origanlly a RA III car, I do not have the original motor.

Just my thoughts.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Boss:
The RA V wasn't a 428 anyways - the crate motors sold over the counter were all 400's. The 301's which were given to some of the Trans-Am teams could never produce the horsepower needed to be competative.

Does anybody know what happened to the RA V Judge that Purely PMD built back in the 80's?
I saw it pop up in Hemmings back in the mid 90's but haven't heard of it since.

PS: did anybody notice the hood tach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a RA V top end (heads, single 4 BBL intake, cams, headers, & dist gear)for sale in the mid 90's & got a call from a fellow that said his friend bought the old Purely PMD car. The story went like this: The car was at a Ford dealership in Bloomington, IN for sale. The cars' owner was filing bankruptcy & the bank sent the car to the Ford dealer to see what they could sell it for. NOBODY knew what the car was or that it had a RA V in it & most potential buyers were scared off because none of the casting #'s came up to what a 69 Judge should have. The eventual buyer did some research after he bought it & found out it was the RA V Judge that was built by Purely PMD! Can you say jackpot? He was interested in buying my parts as a set of spares but was discouraged at my $5k asking price since he had paid less than that for the whole car!
Some people are just lucky I guess!
Steve V

Old 03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

Thanks for pointing out that the car was advertized honestly the first time.I missed that part. I suppose when I saw $75,000 I assumed it had to be RA V. Accept my apologies to everyone for misstating.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The RA V wasn't a 428 anyways - the crate motors sold over the counter were all 400's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I read once that the '69 428 with RA V heads was to be teh RA VI. Not sure if that was just some magazine hype of the '90s.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 301's which were given to some of the Trans-Am teams could never produce the horsepower needed to be competative. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't the Trans Am teams use 303 CID motors?.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the factory did have some developmental 428 V stuff but never a motor.There were some 3in main 4 in stroke cranks and at least 1 428 block with splayed caps but it was a 3 1/4 main and would have used the 990 crank.I think Wade at BOP might have that block.Tom

Old 03-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by racerboy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The RA V wasn't a 428 anyways - the crate motors sold over the counter were all 400's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I read once that the '69 428 with RA V heads was to be teh RA VI. Not sure if that was just some magazine hype of the '90s.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 301's which were given to some of the Trans-Am teams could never produce the horsepower needed to be competative. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't the Trans Am teams use 303 CID motors?. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the magazines did an article on 428 based RA V motors but it was supposed to be about the development program and all the strange parts which were produced at that time. I think they even had pictures of an aluminum 428 or 455 block which was supposed to be the basis for a RA VI or RA VII motor.

The 5 Litre motors may have been 303's, I'm not honestly sure.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a few alu RA V blocks got out,mine and everyone I have actually seen are 3 in mains to go with the 3in main 4in and 4.21 stroke Kellogs forged cranks.Your right the RA V short deck program was a 303 CI engine.I have one in my 69 T/A and I have a correct 455 RA V engine in my 69 GTO.Tom

Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 PM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

Well, twenty five minutes left in the auction and it is only up to a bit over $25,000. Man, he shoulda taken the money the first time, eh? or was that even real money the first time?