Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-26-2002, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It just goes to show you, always get back to basics. For all of you that have helped me in the "surge" / "miss" problem I was chasing,,, I finally got the answer this weekend.

After trying multiple combinations of jetting I still had the miss. So I went back to basics, pulled the distributor and meticulously went through it. I found the points plate was worn and had a significant wobble to it. Enough that the dwell was probably fluctuating and the points inaccurate when it was running.

I pulled out the original distributor that came with the car, checked everything, cleaned it up, reassembled it with new points and condensor popped it in, set the dwell and timing...

I also made a slight adjustment to the choke and limited the travel so it didn't open to a 90 degree state when warm, maybe 75 degrees or so and presto! Runs like a charm, pulls strong and cruises like a brand new car.

Ended up with 073 jets and 041 rods, B secondary hanger and CE rods.

Put 80 miles on it yesterday, AND took second place in a POCI sponsered local all Pontiac show!

All in all a great weekend!

Don

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 08-26-2002, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It just goes to show you, always get back to basics. For all of you that have helped me in the "surge" / "miss" problem I was chasing,,, I finally got the answer this weekend.

After trying multiple combinations of jetting I still had the miss. So I went back to basics, pulled the distributor and meticulously went through it. I found the points plate was worn and had a significant wobble to it. Enough that the dwell was probably fluctuating and the points inaccurate when it was running.

I pulled out the original distributor that came with the car, checked everything, cleaned it up, reassembled it with new points and condensor popped it in, set the dwell and timing...

I also made a slight adjustment to the choke and limited the travel so it didn't open to a 90 degree state when warm, maybe 75 degrees or so and presto! Runs like a charm, pulls strong and cruises like a brand new car.

Ended up with 073 jets and 041 rods, B secondary hanger and CE rods.

Put 80 miles on it yesterday, AND took second place in a POCI sponsered local all Pontiac show!

All in all a great weekend!

Don

Old 08-28-2002, 02:57 AM
Senior Chief

Runnin good and second place... Congrats!

Old 08-28-2002, 08:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Bob

I still think there is something wrong... Shouldn't the primary choke plate be wide open when warm? Once I closed mine down it smoothed right out, vacume became rock steady at 11 inches and it gained about 100 RPM.

I am going to send the carb out to have it professionally done, probably in January. I can discuss the details with the shop. Maybe there is some junk restricting the gas flow at idle making it artificially lean...

Don

Old 08-28-2002, 09:55 AM

My guess is that you are lean for some reason. Vacuum leak?