Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Senior Chief

Default Pypes Violator 3" Mufflers....

I thought I'd try something new this year. Is anyone running these? I just bolted a set of these on and hit the key, and I thought I filled my pants!!!! Is it me or are these things a little blatty and a little too crisp? Dougs headers. E-heads, 470 cu in, solid roller, high 10 sec CITY car, 3.5" Dr Gas 'x' pipe to 3" Violator mufflers, dumping at the axle. Don't tell me it's a sign of getting too old.....

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have 2.5 with X pipe on my car with the violators.I had tons of leaks,had it welded it.Sounds ALOT better.I like the sound when your cruisin at idle your right though kinda blatty and crisp,but why not we are all used to flowmasters which don't flow to good.Think about it this way the next time a teen pulls next to you in a Honda fartin away,you could just give it some gas and make him sh!t himself.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to hear a set in person. Im really happy with my set up now but Im always up for trying something new..

Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a set of the old "V-tube" mufflers that Pypes discontinued before they switched to the Violater. The V-tubes have no baffles or packing but when they are behind an engine with a healthy cam, the tone is LOUD and RUDE.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, Im running the V Force/Pro-V that PY discontinued awhile back. They are NASTY behind a nice cam like in my 78 T/A. Id like to hear the Violater but Im too scared to lose what I have now. lol...

Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 3" Pypes system with Violators and they do sound nasty.
Loud and rude is also a good description.
Although they seem very quiet when cruising but look out when you get into the throttle.
I bet that you wouldn't think they were nearly as loud if you put some tailpipes on.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Senior Chief

They are loud and kinda blatty...Thought they would have had a deeper tone. Took for a spin today...Might be able to live with them. I do have a nice set of 3" torque-tech tailpipes I took off this system when I was running the 18" long Dynomax's. Got a lot of grief from fellow cruisers/racers for how quiet it was. I just can't bring myself to run flowmasters and be like the Chevy guys around here.....I guess I'm used to sneeking up on the competition and runnin' them harder than they thought I would.... Thanx for the responce everyone, I'll see how it goes with these.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Talking

I am running Violators on my '67. Dougs Headers, E-heads, 467ci engine. They do sound awesome under acceleration. Cruise and idle are fine. Under full load they do get some attention.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Greetings Folks,
My first post on this forum - yee ha, finally off the bench.
I swapped to stainless steel tail pipes with my 2.5" Violators an loved the sound a lot more. Apparently, the material properties of stainless steel serve to reduce "blat" or noise. I found similar sound characteristics listening to the Mustang guys (gag) on YouTube, who have bolted Violators on to their stainless systems. Their V8s have a different firing order, but the classic GM V8 firing order simply gives the Violator sound a little more "chug". My '79 Formula (406ci. @ 10.6:1 compr, E-heads, SPC-8 cam) on 2.5" stainless never sounded better!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Violator's!

I just installed a set along with a complete Doug Thorley /"Pypes" 2 1/2" "X" on my sons 406/E-heads powered 70 Chevelle because he wanted the car loud. The idle is kind of loud, quiet at cruise and roars with anything more than a 1/3 gas pedal. He likes it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle%20with%20Pypes%20X%20exhaust%20014.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	148104   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle%20with%20Pypes%20X%20exhaust%20003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	148105   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle%20with%20Pypes%20X%20exhaust%20010.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	148106  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 AM

Default Nice 3" Violator Sounds - Big Block Chevrolet

This is a nice YouTube sample of the 3" Pypes Violator sound on a semi-stock '69 Chevelle. I do not believe that it has all stainless tubes, though. Tough idle!

Need more Pontiacs on there...must get my camera.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YfRyCqMVu1M

Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman411 View Post
I thought I'd try something new this year. Is anyone running these? I just bolted a set of these on and hit the key, and I thought I filled my pants!!!! Is it me or are these things a little blatty and a little too crisp? Dougs headers. E-heads, 470 cu in, solid roller, high 10 sec CITY car, 3.5" Dr Gas 'x' pipe to 3" Violator mufflers, dumping at the axle. Don't tell me it's a sign of getting too old.....
Wow, this is an old thread!

If you had tailpipes on your car, I would have recommended the Violators, but since you dumped the exhaust at the rear, I would have recommended the Street Pros since it will give you a deeper tone.

The Violators like tailpipes!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

I just installed a set along with a complete Doug Thorley /"Pypes" 2 1/2" "X" on my sons 406/E-heads powered 70 Chevelle because he wanted the car loud. The idle is kind of loud, quiet at cruise and roars with anything more than a 1/3 gas pedal. He likes it.
Sounds like a fun car!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfitzz View Post
This is a nice YouTube sample of the 3" Pypes Violator sound on a semi-stock '69 Chevelle. I do not believe that it has all stainless tubes, though. Tough idle!

If the system is a couple of years old, it could possible be aluminized but all Pypes system are stainless steel now.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfitzz View Post

Yes, it sounds great!
If the system is a couple of years old, it could possible be aluminized but all Pypes system are stainless steel now.