THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Younger crowd coming into muscle cars lately.

I'm hearing more and more 20-30 year olds are the ones buying muscle cars these days. Not a scientific study.

Just a personal observation as my son and other car guys sons are into the hobby. Buying some interesting cars in the 25-35k range.

So, maybe the future is shaping up for these beauties? Thanks to dads who are into hobby..

Old 03-30-2019, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heard that too.

Too many Dodge Challeners huh

Old 03-30-2019, 11:02 AM

Funny thing, I see a lot of Millennials driving the newer restyled Challengers, Camaros, and Mustangs some can be bought for the price of the classic versions, but they come with newer technology and warranties. Personally Ido not see that many younger generation classic car owners at the many events I participate in each year. Most of these cars owners are of my generation. I do see a lot looking but not necessarily owning classics, or antiques. Most “kids” today want conveniences, cars that virtually drive themselves, and they don’t have to get their hands dirty maintaining them. Well that is unless they are my kid and grandbaby lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B63B048-7A8A-4680-B62B-30A4AA08314A.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	509252   Click image for larger version

Name:	FE3388C5-6930-4323-8293-1CF1B60BF7CB.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	509253   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD98E3FA-82A5-4BF0-9288-70659ECE8E2D.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	509254  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-30-2019, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm talking 70 muscle. I know of 3-4 young guys in 30s buying some early muscle cars including a few Pontiacs.

New stuff is the gateway cars.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Every summer for last couple of years I have seen a few young guys with old hot rods cruising the streets. Not high dollar. Primer stuff here and there. In progress. Blue collar. Not rare equity cars. Cool cars though. Very encouraging to me, as old school means wrench. Why would they want to hang with people their parents age at a show?

Old 03-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Every summer for last couple of years I have seen a few young guys with old hot rods cruising the streets. Not high dollar. Primer stuff here and there. In progress. Blue collar. Not rare equity cars. Cool cars though. Very encouraging to me, as old school means wrench. Why would they want to hang with people their parents age at a show?
EXACTLY! Hanging around a car show with the average age of the car owners in their mid 60's, why would they do that? I am in that age group so I completely understand. The best way to have the age groups mix and mingle and appreciate each others cars is the cruise-in approach IMO. That way, the cars and people come and go as they please, no judging and prizes, and sitting around for hours telling lies about the good old days and street racing 40 years ago, unless that's what you want to do. Need a place for the non-restored or work in progress cars to be looked at and appreciated. NO 50's do wop music or even 60's car songs as the only form of music if there is such. A place to do a little autocross, burnout contest, stereo blast area, chassis portable dyno. If you want young people to participate and be engaged, you have to make them feel welcome and be interested in their cars.

I will never forget being at an NMCA race in Memphis with my lowly pure stock Pontiac. Coming back from the snack stand, hot dog in hand and some old guy was rummaging around under the hood of my car! He popped out as I approached and it was Arnie Beswick!! I was around 30 years old at the time. What in the heck was this living legend doing looking at by dumb car? He said he saw it run and liked it and wanted to see under the hood. It doesn't get any better than that. Make those connections with the younger generation and they are more ,likely to stay interested and involved.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Roadkill has a lot to do with it. They have really pushed the idea of having fun with much less than perfect cars, or even more-doors.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they've found out that those Hondas aren't as cool or last as long after they soup them up. They've seen the light and are leaving the foreign car dark side. Or the wife is making them switch over because of the noise.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 3 year old daughter will be a gearhead because she already loves to tinker in the garage when I am out there and she always wants to “fix” the car. I just have to nurture that bug. When I was in HS a girl named Julie Martin’s dad had bought her a pristine 1979 Trans Am to drive because it was our birth year. I don’t know which was prettier the girl or the car but it was a close race. I see her around time to time. Need to ask her if she still has it. My wife hates Firebirds and Camaros but I will have a TA in my collection oneday

Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 22 year old grandson has been looking for 2 years for a 60s or even 50s or 70s Pontiac that he can drive but can't find anything that's any good that he can afford. The important word is drive. He doesn't have the space, time or money for a car that's going to take years to get on the road. Last year he bought a 1973 Sebring 2dr that was driveable but he sold it because he still wants a Pontiac. Here in the NE everything he can afford is all rotted.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
My 22 year old grandson has been looking for 2 years for a 60s or even 50s or 70s Pontiac that he can drive but can't find anything that's any good that he can afford. The important word is drive. He doesn't have the space, time or money for a car that's going to take years to get on the road. Last year he bought a 1973 Sebring 2dr that was driveable but he sold it because he still wants a Pontiac. Here in the NE everything he can afford is all rotted.
Keyword being "afford". That's whats keeping a lot of the younger crowd out, affordability. Hondas, and Toyotas are still plentiful, and affordable.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just sold my '70 Olds Rallye 350 to a guy that was in his early 30's. I delivered the car to his house(local)… and in the driveway was a really nice '69 Charger and a 70 Chevelle SS 4 speed.

BTW - I'll be 51 in a couple of days and can't stand car shows. In all honesty... I think they are boring and the people are clicky… or the people all wanna get up in your personal business. Reality is... I'm not all that interested in other peoples cars... unless Its for sale and I'm interested in buying it.. I enjoy my cars by cruising around and tinkering with them. … I know... I'm probably a bitter old man..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles

Last edited by 71GP76TA; 03-31-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

51 isn't old, or so my doctor says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
… I know... I'm probably a bitter old man..

Old 03-31-2019, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to be 51 again.

I go to car shows just to see what's new in the area and look for cars that aren't seen much, or it's never been out. What I cannot stand about a car show is we pay to show our cars... and sometimes the fee is out of sight. The expensive show I pass on. But.... spectators get in free. That is wrong no matter what, unless it's a Cruise Night where no one pays to get in. I can't stand spectators pawing around the show cars.... and some think nothing of climbing in them. Seen it done many times.

Some way has to be thought of where spectators pay too, and our cost to show our cars is lower. Fair is fair both ways.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I think they've found out that those Hondas aren't as cool or last as long after they soup them up. They've seen the light and are leaving the foreign car dark side. Or the wife is making them switch over because of the noise.
Not true. Values are shooting up on lots of cars; first gen NSXs have nearly doubled, FD RX7s and Supras are still very strong, turbo BMWs are being tuned into the 500-600HP range regularly and anything classic Porsche has doubled or tripled in value in the last 10-12 years. Gearheads always find a way and there's little to no distinction made between foreign/domestic anymore. Just value and speed.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:56 PM
Administrator

It's going to take a lot of Tesla's a lot of years to dampen America's love affair with cars. History does not get erased. It gets preserved.

The multitude of cable tv and online shows featuring build-ups by very enthusiastic young and talented craftsmen/women is helping fuel the hobby by bringing in additional youth.

It's great to see!

Old 03-31-2019, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendutro View Post
Not true. Values are shooting up on lots of cars; first gen NSXs have nearly doubled, FD RX7s and Supras are still very strong, turbo BMWs are being tuned into the 500-600HP range regularly and anything classic Porsche has doubled or tripled in value in the last 10-12 years. Gearheads always find a way and there's little to no distinction made between foreign/domestic anymore. Just value and speed.
When a Honda S2000, a torqueless pile of crap sells for nearly 70K on bring a trailer and a friend of mine sells his 71 Datsun 240Z for a cool 50K, I agree with you. For the young crowd interested in having fun with 60's and 70's cars, they seem to be looking at the 4-door models and A bodies that were lower trim lines. Still affordable cars in that group. As far as finding a low rust model, I think it's a wise move to open up your search area to non-rust belt areas. With all the video, good photo ability we have nowdays, wouldn't it make sense to check out a possible car 500 or even 1000 miles away? Then a single trip to pick it up could erase years and thousands of dollars fixing up a rust belt piece of junk. My experience has been buying a solid car is always the better choice, even if a long trip is involved. The good solid cars don't cost much more than one with a rusted out frame and body. People are still driving these cars as transportation in the south and west. When I visit San Diego on a regular basis, I am amazed at the 60's and 70's 4-door cars still being used daily.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What’s gone is the fast and furious craze very few big wings and 6” tailpipes anymore on little 4 bangers and no under glow.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

why we need to drive our muscle cars. A LOT. the younger crowd never sees these cars when there trailer queen flower pots.

when I drive mine and see the young impressionable crowd egging me on to do a burn out I do it! they'll remember the car and maybe someday figure they gotta have one.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My nephew was raised on classic muscle and still wants one or so he says but it’s hard to save 30 grand to buy a classic when the devil is whispering in your ear easy credit now at the dealership. He bought some kind of me sporty Mazda. It’s nice, has a big touch screen and all that crap and it’s fast but he never misses a chance to come over here to work on the tempest. His dad has a 69 Nova. Maybe when it gets passed down the spark will turn into a full flame