THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM
PY VIP

Default January Contest - With Prizes

This contest is open to all readers of this thread except for anyone who is connected or works for the Barrett-Jackson Organization.

Read all the rules carefully as they must be followed to the letter to qualify.

Deadline is January 11th, 2113 midnite EASTERN TIME.

Your single guess MUST appear in this thread.

Case of two exact guesses earliest dated one is the winner.

The guess closest UNDER the posted selling price is the winner. Second closest takes second place.

The determined selling price will be the price they post on their website or noted if someone emails me from the actual event during the auction or sees it live on TV.

Contest is VOID if car in question turns out to be a no show at the Scottsdale January 13th-20th 2013 Barrett Jackson auction. Contest is also void if car fails to get any bids.

First place winner wins a set of the repro Hurst wheel cuff links, plus a reproduction of the Hurst Press Kit catalog, and the Hurst wheel book I wrote. Total value around $100.

Second place winner wins a Shifter display featuring Bill Campbells Signature plate. Valued at $40.

HERE ARE THE CLUES AND CAR INFO:

I have Barrett-Jackson preview full color catalog. The car you are guessing on is listed as part of the Robert Howard collection being sold at no reserve.

Here is the car and exact description that you are basing your one single guess on:

1990 YUGO GVV CONVERTIBLE A new Yugo Cabrio. A classic car with a tainted reputation that deserves a good home.

The car picture is yellow and from the description it probably has no miles or very few miles on it. I guess you can go to Barrett-Jacksons website and view the car.

That is the car you are guessing what the selling price will be before the deadline. Should be interesting. This auction usually generates a lot of hype and high dollar examples be interesting to see if a car with a tainted reputation almost from new, can generate big money on the big auction scene.

From my research they made less than 100 of these convertibles.

The contest is now open:

Good luck!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the link to the Yugo:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...ln=722&aid=466

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And my guess is $5,300.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 AM
PY VIP

Here are a few specs on the contest car:

0-60 on a good day takes 12.4 seconds to accomplish. Although the speedo would read to 115 you could get the car up to 96 mph.

Horsepower was rated at 61 and torque was a mind boggling 68 at 4,000 rpm.

I could fill this thread with the jokes related to this car.

Here are just a few mostly from the Book entitled The Rise & Fall of the Worst Car in History The Yugo.

What does a Yugo and a ceiling fan have in common?

Both have the same motor.

Why does a Yugo have a rear defroster?

To keep your hands warm in the winter when you are pushing it.

What do you call a Yugo with a flat tire?

Totalled.

Why don't Yugos substain much damage in a front end collision?

The tow truck takes the impact!

Just a few nuggets...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 AM
PY VIP

Wow thanz for posting the link to the auction.....we got great group here. Be very interesting if this Yugo makes it on live TV to hear the auctioneers work the audience like they do on the high dollar cars.....I can't imagine what words they would use to generate the crowd into bidding.

Granted maybe its the last new one in existance. When the sedans hit our shores in 1986 they were $3995 cheapest set of new wheels being sold in the USA. I am going to guess the convertible was probably around a 5 grand car in 1990 when it was new.

Again good luck to all that take guess.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess is $4,950

Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis,
I bought a pair of the original Hurst cuff links from you a few years ago but I am still going to take a guess. I will say $6800. I think it might be high but things get pretty stupid there at times and my wife was born in 68.
I got your Hurst book and dvd's and enjoy them very much. Thanks for the entertainment.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Someone gas more money than taste at the auction. I'll say $6550.00

Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM
PY VIP

I appreciate the comments....I have done contests before to my turbo regal customers it can be tough sometimes because the internet can yield almost any answer but this one is something that goes purely on luck.

Here are few more tidbits as I have the NADA books from 1989 and also from 1992. The car hit our shores in August of 1985 with the $3995 retail price. The 1988 model listed in the 1989 NADA book already was down to $2,025.

In my 1992 NADA book it doesn;t even show a 1990 Yugo convertible but does show a 1991 that new was $8991.00. So the convertible was a few bucks back in the day if the NADA is accurate.

more tidbits to follow

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Senior Chief

Ok, I'll give it a shot. $4500.00

God knows where I'm goin' to, but me... I don't care."
Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 AM
PY VIP

Just found this little tidbit of interest on Craigs list posted 12-24-2012

knsrw-3493304928@sale.craigslist.org

A 1990 Yugo convertible with 18,000 miles garage kept claims to be 1 of just 72 built so I was correct fewer than 100 made. Not used in 10 years.

This seller also has 7 Yugo parts cars that are complete to go with the deal all for the sum of $12,500.

So in quick review you now know where 2 of the 72 Yugo convertibles reside built in 1990.

The vague connection I have with the Yugo is the fact it was introduced to the US market the same time as Buick was building the fastest US production car. The Yugo speedo read up to 115 and the turbo charged Buick speedo only showed 85 mph thanks to our government.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Senior Chief

Hmmm... this is a tough one. I'll go with $8000. It seems laughable to me, but I always seem to underestimate the ridiculous $$$'s that are thrown around at one of these things.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great contest Dennis!

Interesting jokes on the Yugo. You could replace the word "Yugo" with Smart Car, and it almost fits.

The Barrett-Jackson Auction will be a tough guess. What happens sometimes is that some investor may have bought 6 or 7 of these things for $5000, and while his friends laughed at him, he had a plan.

1. Get some ink in some magazines. They do that by calling in favors, phoning buddies that have connections. Time the article(s) to when the car will be going across the auction block.

2. Pay some blogger to write article about how the Yugo is the next collectible (yes, that's already happened).

3. Pay another blogger to write an article about how the Yugo was maligned, and didn't deserve the press it received.

4. Pay another blogger to write an article about cheap these cars are now, so you better buy quickly.

5. Put the Yugo on E-Bay, and have buddies shill bid it to $20,000. That gets the web chattering, bloggers writing, and now people are wondering if this is truly the next collectible. Of course, it's all phony, and the car never sells, but now everyone is saying Yugos are worth $20,000, who would have thought....

6. Pay off Dana Mecum, or Craig Jackson, to make sure your Yugo is a featured car, and gets some TV time. Now the $5,000 Yugo sells for $25,000. The plan worked. Now the seller has 5 more just like it. Time to dump them quickly. He pockets $100,000 on a $25,000 investment, and no capital gains tax.

Can't happen? Sure it can. And it does. And it did. Look at the VW Bus that sold for $100,000+ last year. That's the template on how to make money, and there were many other makes and models before that VW Bus where this happened. The prices soar, then people wake up from their stupor, and prices return to where they were, while the inner circle make their money. Classic Wall Street tactics.

So that being said, I'd say $9,500 for this Yugo. That's my official guess.

Unofficially, if the seller is part of the plan I described above, it will sell for $55,000.

By the way, thank you for doing these contests! These contests you have are always interesting, with great prizes.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$6,900

Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just as well pick a nice low spot: $3,200

Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For a low I think that's kinda high. I'll go $2125.

I think the best way to unload that would be a to sell tickets for $1 a pop. With enough hype in the net/media it could make a bundle... like if they had held the drawing on the Mayan end of the world.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh please...$1227 and that's generous....

Boy do I have stuff to sell the winner of that auction.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$17,874.00 ( this one has alloy wheels covering those 3 lug nuts!)
NOTE>>* *Price Includes Buyers Commission, Wow, have not seen that very often!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tossing my hat in the ring. $6,668

Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Senior Chief

this is the biggest joke I've ever heard and for 100 bucks man with you Kurban I love you but this **** sucks or should I say barrett Jackson is the worst

Thomas Jefferson