Old 09-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Default 63 Cat dash tach help

Hello,
I'm ready to install the factory dash tach in 63 cat 2 door sedan.
The tach has the correct 63 adjust knob, but the build date is to faded to read.
I've had this tach for over 30 years....doubt if anyone messed with it back then.
Questions:
1. From pictures I've seen tach mounts to the left side of dash requiring (3) new holes.
Is this correct?
2. The tach has (3) wires..(1) Black goes to the light / (1) black unknown (1)red unknown
Not sure which is which...
3. Is the factory tach self contained or does it require a sending unit.

Appreciate any info
CPW

Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just sent you an email. I have pictures of tach location, with cutouts shown, with dimensions.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics of your project would be helpful for others here...please do share your experience!

Old 09-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No sending unit. The manual has a fuse listed which is often not on these anymore. Not sure, but I installed it since that is the way I saw it in there.

You will need the curved base/adapter. With Ziggy's info it will be easy as the contour of the base makes it so it will really only fit in one spot.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mike, You have mail. Let me know if you need additional info.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Ziggy,
Received e-mail with photo's
Thanks so much...will try to post picture when installed.
CPW

Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Mike, You have mail. Let me know if you need additional info.
Zig I would appreciate that information also if not too much trouble. I recently bought a tach and the required bezel, which I am going to install in my '63 Catalina....John

Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

John, You have an email. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Suspended

Got it, thanks. Should be able to do with the pictures.....John

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Hello....
The only unanswered question is about the correct wiring...see earlier post.
Anyone have any info on the correct wiring?
(3) Wires
(1) black goes to the light
(1) black...unknown
(1) red......unknown
Thanks,
CPW

Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are only connections for light, signal input and ground...no +12V

Historically, this is what I have seen:

On a standard distributor model, there are three different colored wires (so, not sure where you got two blacks as that set-up is incorrect). Red ( w inline fuse) from insulated post on back of tach to the negative coil side, a short Black wire w/ring to ground (on the firewall) and Light Blue for instrument light . So, you will have to separate the cup housing to see what exactly where each wire goes.

Also, the tachometer for a car with TI ignition had a terminal with a red insulator on the signal post found the back side housing of the tachometer. The color wires I have seen were Brown (w inline fuse) from this post to the negative coil side, A short White wire w/ring to ground (on the firewall) and medium Blue for instrument light. I do not believe a TI tach will work with a standard distributor setup. Maybe others can chime in on this.

Also, per George K, a long time ago he indicated on this forum,” The '60's OEM tachs are connected to the coil neg terminal and are actually powered by the coil connection. Since the coil neg terminal is what actually triggers the ignition pulse, a malfunctioning device such as the tach, bad capacitor(condenser), etc. will interfere with the rise time of the primary voltage and therefore affect the secondary, (high voltage) output.”

Aftermarket electronic ignitions are also know to affect reading and could possibly damage the tach.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Senior Chief

Default 63 Tach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
There are only connections for light, signal input and ground...no +12V

Historically, this is what I have seen:

On a standard distributor model, there are three different colored wires (so, not sure where you got two blacks as that set-up is incorrect). Red ( w inline fuse) from insulated post on back of tach to the negative coil side, a short Black wire w/ring to ground (on the firewall) and Light Blue for instrument light . So, you will have to separate the cup housing to see what exactly where each wire goes.

Also, the tachometer for a car with TI ignition had a terminal with a red insulator on the signal post found the back side housing of the tachometer. The color wires I have seen were Brown (w inline fuse) from this post to the negative coil side, A short White wire w/ring to ground (on the firewall) and medium Blue for instrument light. I do not believe a TI tach will work with a standard distributor setup. Maybe others can chime in on this.

Also, per George K, a long time ago he indicated on this forum,” The '60's OEM tachs are connected to the coil neg terminal and are actually powered by the coil connection. Since the coil neg terminal is what actually triggers the ignition pulse, a malfunctioning device such as the tach, bad capacitor(condenser), etc. will interfere with the rise time of the primary voltage and therefore affect the secondary, (high voltage) output.”

Aftermarket electronic ignitions are also know to affect reading and could possibly damage the tach.

I hope this helps.
Just read a few of the posts here ...I want to install the factory Tach on my 63 Bonne SW eventually. I have just had a 63 Tach cleaned, checked, and needle repainted by Autoinstruments.co in Martinsville, VA.

I'm curious about a couple of things ...were there 2 different Tachs avail back in those years for standard and TI ignition cars? ...I know I've seen 2 different wire harnesses avail from some of the people who redo harnesses ...didn't think the Tachs themselves were different. If they are how do check to see which one is which ?

My car came with TI ignition but I'm not going to have the distributor an original/ functional unit. The restoration of all the original components is expensive. I was going to go with just a std distributor w/Pertronics inside and a std ignition coil (having the Amplifier mounted on the car to "resemble originality") but ... use a NOS TI voltage regulator. Is this a setup that I can have a functional Tach with ...?

Have not really looked into this yet as the car is still being put back together ...

Any additional info on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bruce

Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM

Default 63 Cat dash tach help

Howdy,
First, I'd like to tell you how great you all have been!
The responses and knowledge is unbelievable.

The tach I've had for over 30 years is wired as follows:
(1) Red wire to RED terminal
(1) Black wire to light
(1) Black wire to under bracket...must be the ground.

So this must be from a TI car??

I plan on using a Pertronix Ign with their Coil.
Is there a way to test compatibility before blowing the tach?

I also have what I believe is a 62 tach wired as follows:
(1) yellow and (1) green to the Insulated terminal
(1) Red and (1) Black connected to the terminal to the left of insulated terminal
(light socket is at a approx. 2:00 location).
It really looks like telephone wire!
I have had this tach for probably 25 years
CPW