Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-17-2000, 06:13 PM

What is the right way to restrict the oil?
I just seen two blocks that have oil restrictors going to the cam bearing and the main oil feed on the left side of the block. Both blocks cracked in the middle of the block. Did they crack because the blocks were drilled and tapped from the bottom for oil restrictors?

Old 05-17-2000, 06:13 PM

What is the right way to restrict the oil?
I just seen two blocks that have oil restrictors going to the cam bearing and the main oil feed on the left side of the block. Both blocks cracked in the middle of the block. Did they crack because the blocks were drilled and tapped from the bottom for oil restrictors?

Old 05-17-2000, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Putting in oil restrictors usually only go in the oil feed holes for the lifters,there's a tool that slides down in the lifter bore, that lines up with the oil holes in the lifter bore, then you use a self starting
tap. there's no need to do any drilling. It must how ever be done when the block is bear, because running the tap down the oil holes makes allot of shavings, that must be cleaned out later, before anything is installed in the block. Generally the 455 blocks crack on the number three main, and will travel all the way up to the lifter bores, That's the weakest point. I've never seen oil restrictors install anywhere else in a block, except for the one in the rear, to oil the disb gear.Sounds like some one got some bad info, on were to put oil restrictors

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gach (edited 05-17-2000).]

Old 05-17-2000, 10:27 PM

Location: originally Odessa, TX. Currently stationed in Tampa, FL

Instead of installing restrictors in the block, you could run a solid lifter with a restrictor built in. TFX makes them. Makes it easy to go back to hydraulic later on when you get as old as Pontiac Dude.