Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-14-2000, 12:05 AM

If you have a chrome moly drive shaft already and are in the high nines is there any real performance gains by going carbon fibre.Can you pick up more than a tenth in the quarter?Could the money be spent elsewhere to go faster?

Old 05-14-2000, 12:05 AM

If you have a chrome moly drive shaft already and are in the high nines is there any real performance gains by going carbon fibre.Can you pick up more than a tenth in the quarter?Could the money be spent elsewhere to go faster?

Old 05-14-2000, 01:58 AM
Senior Chief

I have a friend that is in good with an Import builder named Dave Buchur, my friend asked him the same question about his AWD Talon that is in the mid 11's, a Talon's drive shaft is at least 2-4ft. longer than an F-body. Buchur told him to spend his money on something else, they wern't worth anymore power. Buchur wouldn't even sell it to him when he insisted on it. A way to find out if the carbon fiber is better or not is to get someone to dyno it. Don't forget about the 700-1000 dollar price tag either!!!

Old 05-14-2000, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stay away from carbon fiber, far away. Its bad mojo man. First thing, I have a friend
that used carbon fiber arrows and swore by them, till one broke at release and went into his forearm. He can no longer shoot archery, and has very limited use of his left arm below the elbow, and the doctors have said they will never be able to get all of the pieces of carbon fiber out of his arm. Becuase of his accident I will never use carbon fiber arrows, aluminium all the way.
Second, when this stuff burns, little itty bitty pieces of carbon fiber(microscopic) come off and can be inhaled. Guess what, once the stuff is in your lungs, it stays there for life, just like asbestos fibers, not a good thing.

------------------
"Run wild with an Indian, not with the crowd in a Chevy"

Old 05-15-2000, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Glad you mentioned aluminum, Tin. Now, let's discuss the middle of the road choice: an aluminum drive shaft.

I've read where aluminum stores torsional energy better than steel. However, my limited intelligence isn't able to comprehend driveshaft windup, energy storage, etc.

Can somebody add some input to this?

------------------
"How could I have been so mistaken as to have trusted the experts?...." --JFK, after the Bay of Pigs invasion

Old 05-16-2000, 11:02 PM
Senior Chief

Scott, a similar scenario is where the sidewall of the slick wraps up and gets heavily wrinkled. The axles turn and the sidewall is flexible enough that it cannot transmit the energy required to move the car yet....so the sidewall flexs until the energy level builds to the point that the mass of the car is moved. Once the initial weight of the car is moving, the sidewall will then "unwind" and accellerate the car forward. Similar situation with a driveshaft, but when the driveshaft unwinds it is putting a heavier force on the rear gearset than it would see without this effect. Could result in breakage. Also, since the driveshaft material is more "flexible", it could also have flex on occassions where you might not prefer it. TM