THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Overhaulin TV show

Any of you guys ever see a car in person that was done on 'Overhaulin'? I don't watch the show much but was just wondering how these cars actually look in person.Fit,finish,quality of the parts,work and all the little details involved.How well do these things hold-up?My car would look beatiful on TV but not quite as nice in person.It can take me a week just to remove,restore one piece of my car and these guys do a whole car in a week.They may be pros but still.....

Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i'm doing my car the full retail price and the hard way. i'd be pissed if anyone else got ahold of my car, no matter how big the name or how talented they are.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
i'm doing my car the full retail price and the hard way. i'd be pissed if anyone else got ahold of my car, no matter how big the name or how talented they are.
Don't forget, the person you'd have to be pissed at is your wife or whoever it was who set the deal up and then agreed to any modifications...

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Don't forget, the person you'd have to be pissed at is your wife or whoever it was who set the deal up and then agreed to any modifications...
she knows better... i want what i want; chip and 4 million dollars can't give it to me.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
X2 no way would I like seeing my GTO or my GP with 18-20 wheels and rubber bands or a trunk full of stereo junk or stand for them to pull my four speed or my 400. If that happened I'm afraid I'd be hunting for my gun. I prefer my 14 inch Ralley II's and my BFG's on the Goat. It took me about 16 months to get my GTO to a presentable status and getting ready to start back in on my 85 Grand Prix. See any of my Indian's with anything other than a Pontiac engine would be worse than a sin.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i've figured out his formula: no side mirrors or door handles, two-tone paint, oversized rims, head and tail light tweaks. impossible stance and weak-ass engine by someone who got paid too much. no thanks!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Is that show even on anymore? New episodes, not repeats

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 02-13-2010, 08:58 PM

I think the show is still on - I just saw an episode a week ago and I've never seen it before - I guess it could have still been a re-run. I agree - the Overhaulin' routine will be the best way for some folks but, for me, it's got to be my way. I don't like those rubber band tires and master-blaster sound systems, either. Bone stock is just right for me.
Randy C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO70interior.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	197170  

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They did put a nice Butler motor in a 67 GTO , but had fender fit issues that I didn't see how they resolved. Chip is a real talented car guy.JMHO

Old 02-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seeing as most of those cars they did were pretty rough to begin with i'd say they did a good thing. Everyone on the shows were more than grateful to have thier cars done by people who cared for them, and the cars got a second chance at life. What's wrong with that? Not to mention Chip always asks what the owner would want their car to look like so it's not like they took a 100 point show car and messed them up, actually quite the opposite.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The show was only on for 5 seasons (2004-8).

Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the show in general, but this its day 6 and we don"t have anything done yet, will it be ready on day 7 is getting a little old with me.............i would like to see one of these cars in person though, i know its for tv hype but for saying this guy has been up for 30 some hours & now hes gonna paint the car........gotta wonder about that paint job. I think the show would be more interesting showing excately how they are getting some of these repo parts to fit so nice, but thats just me.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All repeats.
In the beginning they would do the low & slow crap,Take that off cut that out and so on. But towards the end they seemed to be keeping it true to the mark, i.e. Ponchos getting Poncho Power, leaving on handles & trim.
I think I would agree with it being a good thing.
They're saving cars owned by a group otherwise known as the,
(No it's not for sale, I'm going to restore it someday) crowd.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see them from time to time,saw the yellow grey olds yesterday morning at Doughnut Derlics.The work I have seen looks great.One of the painters they use did a friends 69 T/A,VERY nice work.FWIW,Tom

Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Buddy of mine and I have been remarking on the very same question. Saw a buick on the show that was rusted away (including the frame) and they had to cut/splice a couple of other frames together, as well as fix the rotten body too. HOW did they do all of that in a week? Hell, i've been working on some front fenders for about 60 hours now and they still aren't ready for paint yet LOL.......

Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Senior Chief

I think the original poster's question was about the quality of the build rather than the style.

I talked for quite a while with a guy from Troy Trepanier's shop who said he worked on a few Overhaulin' cars and he said the cars were quite well done.

What they don't tell you on the show is that after the big week of work they don't let the owner have the car back. They keep the car for a few more weeks and make sure everything is properly finished.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep that is what I heard to from the producer (had dinner with him in LA at the end of last month)..... It was really interesting talking with him about the show and I also found out that they did the series "Rad Rides by Troy"....

This is the same company hired by "Optima Batteries" for the "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" and they really are great people to work with....

Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Foose had 6 or 7 of his cars at a "Wings Rotors and Wheels" show I was at last year. All the cars were built well, but they were all built the same way. Silver paint, March pulleys, big wheels/tires, Air Ride, etc. One car by itself would have made a statement. All of them together just seemed like clones of each other. There just wasn't anything 'original' on any of them. Kinda hard to explain.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
Foose had 6 or 7 of his cars at a "Wings Rotors and Wheels" show I was at last year. All the cars were built well, but they were all built the same way. Silver paint, March pulleys, big wheels/tires, Air Ride, etc. One car by itself would have made a statement. All of them together just seemed like clones of each other. There just wasn't anything 'original' on any of them. Kinda hard to explain.
Look at the 32 roadsters Boyd used to build.....pretty standard engine trans combo and they all looked pretty much the same. I have no idea why people would pay big $ to buy a hot rod that looks like every other red 32 roadster out there.....

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Show will go on. One of our customers just bough the rights to the show. If I can catch him at the store again i'll update what the plans are.

400 .060 Eagle Rods