Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default Self defense against dogs

The wife and I have taken up bicycle riding to get excersize, and for something practical to do together. We ride around our small town and have ventured out to several other small towns within a 60mi radius (drive there, then ride). On almost every ride we experience dogs not leashed barking and/or running after us. We love animals, but are concerned at the possibility of being attacked by one of the critters and don't have a way to defend ourselves. Mainly large dogs such as German sheperds, dobermin, pit bulls. I'm wondering what would be an effective way to stop an aggresive dog short of a 357 magnum. Some of the things I was thinking of is a baton, pepper spray, air horn etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Short of a .357 magnum? .38 Special. Maybe bear spray. If I had to deal with pit bulls chasing me, I would carry something that makes 5 or 6 large, deep holes, and it ain't a shovel.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Pepper spray works wonders on dogs! I've had them turn around in mid jump when hit with it.

LOL! I remember doing the Tour de Baja years back. I kept hearing these poping sounds and seeing dead dogs. Curious I rode up the front of the peleton with my teamate. What I saw still makes me laugh! There were several Mexican motorcycle police in front of the peleton. A dog barks and starts running at the peleton. The cop pulls out his pistola and shoots it!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The old Mace was marginal on animals, but pepper spray does wonders -- and unless the dog is just plain stupid, it won't chase you the next time. Unless you fear for your life, just a little spritz of pepper fog will be enough and allow the container to go much further.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dog biscuits?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

when younger we used to ride by a farm on a country road , every time that dog would come out barking, trying to attack us.....same dog.
One time he got out early enough that he was standing on the road ready....as I had pretty good speed I just kicked him hard....he ended up in the ditch, whimpering...never came running after us after that!

but I`d use pepper spray in your situation , get a couple of cans!

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
when younger we used to ride by a farm on a country road , every time that dog would come out barking, trying to attack us.....same dog.
One time he got out early enough that he was standing on the road ready....as I had pretty good speed I just kicked him hard....he ended up in the ditch, whimpering...never came running after us after that!

but I`d use pepper spray in your situation , get a couple of cans!
Who was that Old Yeller? The Original Lassie? LMAO

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Keep a can of pepper spray with you.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pepper Spray!

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
62Lemans

Spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia is cheaper and works as well!!

Other possibles that are cheaper - spray containers of carburetor cleaner.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT View Post
Who was that Old Yeller? The Original Lassie? LMAO

must have been `Ol Yeller, think he sounded like it!

wouldnt kick Lassie...was my favorite dog as a kid!

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Chief

how about a big dog of your own to tag along

Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I second the ammonia in a spray bottle or squirt gun. Hit him in the face and his nose will burn for a long time.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I was a meter reader for the gas co they gave us the HALT crap that the postal workers carry. JUNK! so I started using my peper spray I used for security and it worked wonders,

[
Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Glock 23 with a magazine full of Cor-Bon or Glaser Safety Slugs.

Compact .40 caliber and not nearly the whallop of a .357.

If people can't keep their dogs on a leash, then they'll learn the consequences of their ignorance.

Just ask Bob Rutledge.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If the dog is not really mean and just chases you when you run or ride by then I don't see a reason to hurt the dog..... the owner that doesn't restrain his dog is another story.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Dog biscuits?
Liberal.

That's what we used when I walked all the neighboring developments along the northwestern border of The Great Smoky Mtn National Park in one county. Worked better than anything, but we were on the dog's territory.

If you're in an area with leash laws and the dog is off their property, use something defensive like pepper spray or a .40 caliber handgun.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior Chief

We are not familiar with most of the areas we ride and don't know what to expect. Even ride in alleys sometimes. Its unusual for people to be riding bikes in many places we go, so a dog sitting on a lawn all day long may not go after anyone till it sees something out of the ordinary like us. My wife doesn't know it, but I am also keeping an eye out for old Pontiacs along the way and old cars in general. We are not afraid of dogs and don't want to hurt them, just want to have something to deter in an attack type situation. Sounds like Pepper spray may be the most effective solution.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is all kinds of pepper spray dispensers on EBay. Fox brand is one of the best, our Police use it here.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:17 PM

if a dog is intent on harming you "FUN" things like dog biscuts,ammonia,etc are just going to get you bit.

We have found that ...as is well known firearms work great but they also cause problems as you may miss the dog and have a stray bullet hit something you wish it had NOT and its very easy to do this , even the noise causes problems...i.e. police are called. Knives are very hard to use on dogs as their main pipes run really deep and dogs have a such a high degree of pain tolerence that its almost impossible to stop a dog fast with a blade unless you cut the head off...really.

Pepper spray can fail also seen it almost always fail on attack trained dogs and fail on sentry type dogs also...intent run of the mill aggessive dogs can also work through pepper spray.

We have found the best way to stop a attacking dog fast is a impact weapon of some type ....a blackjack or sap to the has never failed to drop even the most hardcore dog....now you must be alert and not have fear to make a semi accurate head strike but it can be done with ease with just a bit of training.

A dowel drilled out and filled with melted lead in the tip can also work great if no access to a good sap or blackjack ...I suggest these smaller weapons as you will want to keep the impact weapon small for ease of carry on a bike and have must have a weighted head for the needed inertia....

Here is some greta info on these excellent old school impact weapons ...works on 2 legged dogs also.

http://www.donrearic.com/sap.html

http://www.d3protection.com/17.html

Last edited by 355; 10-02-2009 at 01:37 PM.