THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My Dog Jack

On Saturday I had some F-body owners over for a bon fire. My dog Jack was outside while I was getting the bon fire ready and was walking up to the house because another F-body owner wanted to use the bathroom and my other dog Hines was still in the house barking. Hines did not know this person so I thought it was best to let the person into the house. Well Jack was sitting around the bon fire and must have gotten up to see where I was beacuse he just loves to be where I am. As I was approaching the side door of the garage I hear Jack start to cry really loud and holding his right rear leg up. I thought maybe he stepped on something but did not see anything in his paw pads and he would let me touch them. I Thought maybe he twisted his leg and the pain would go away. It did not all weekend. Jack cannot even get up by himself and has a real hard time walking, laying down or going to the bathroom. The wife and I took him to the vet yesterday and he got some xrays and got the bad news. Jack tore up the ACL in his right rear leg. I will either have to put him down beacuse of the severe pain or will need surgury to help fix the concern. The surgury is $2,200. That is a ton of cash right now with the wife unemployed.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My neighbors boxer over the past weekend chased a Bear cub and bit it. All hell broke loose when the momma Bear attacked the dog and crushed it. He had to rush it to emergency on a Saturday evening and it is getting released today.
Cuts, broken leg, ribs, lungs where full of blood due to the Bear literally crushing the dog.
First time the dog has ever seen a Bear and it is going to cost the owner BIG money for this lesson.
Its never easy having to make a call on a pet regardless of money/cost and wish you the best either way you go.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Sorry to hear of your dog's injury. That's a tough decision to have to make. In the end you need to make the one you can live with.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How old is Jack? Give him some time, and perhaps get a second opinion. Dogs are very resilient. I could see such an injury slowing him down but unless there is a joint actually dislocated the pain should subside.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver97ta View Post
How old is Jack? Give him some time, and perhaps get a second opinion. Dogs are very resilient. I could see such an injury slowing him down but unless there is a joint actually dislocated the pain should subside.
Jack turned 9 in August.

Here he is doing what he likes best in the winter.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I lost my dog 6/10/9 3:46 am . if 2k would of saved him i would of done it .
Bring him to another vet .

Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Senior Chief

I paid for the surgery and don't regret it. It was $800 when I did it though.

Any other alternatives? My neighbors dog had to have a leg amputated and does just fine. Just seems that an injury less severe than requiring amputation should have a less expensive fix.

I don't envy you having to make the choice.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fix him-he's your best friend. Put it on a time payment or something.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they'll let you pay it off monthly?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man I hope the best for your dog and you. I see torn acl's all the time, in people, and they ain't dying, nor do they want or need to be put down. Pfff, you can't see a torn acl with an x-ray anyway. You can suspect it with a clinical exam but I imagine a dog in pain is going to be so guarded of that leg you really couldn't examine it very well. I hope they gave you some anti-inflammitories for him and put his leg in a sling. They should have. Surely they didn't just send you two home?

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
On Saturday I had some F-body owners over for a bon fire. My dog Jack was outside while I was getting the bon fire ready and was walking up to the house because another F-body owner wanted to use the bathroom and my other dog Hines was still in the house barking. Hines did not know this person so I thought it was best to let the person into the house. Well Jack was sitting around the bon fire and must have gotten up to see where I was beacuse he just loves to be where I am. As I was approaching the side door of the garage I hear Jack start to cry really loud and holding his right rear leg up. I thought maybe he stepped on something but did not see anything in his paw pads and he would let me touch them. I Thought maybe he twisted his leg and the pain would go away. It did not all weekend. Jack cannot even get up by himself and has a real hard time walking, laying down or going to the bathroom. The wife and I took him to the vet yesterday and he got some xrays and got the bad news. Jack tore up the ACL in his right rear leg. I will either have to put him down beacuse of the severe pain or will need surgury to help fix the concern. The surgury is $2,200. That is a ton of cash right now with the wife unemployed.
Very tough situation, I wish you well making the right decision for everyone involved.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sorry for your situation.....

I would do what I could to help your little guy....

Shame the Vet is so cold that he would take your money to put him down.... but wont work out something to save his life.....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear this.........$ 2 grand is alot, but i wouldn"t hesitate to spend it on my dog, job or no job..........hope you the best

Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A friend of mine was telling me about someone he knows, a lady had to have surgery done on her dog, apparently the cost was $12000. She paid it too. I think the dog was old, like 12.
Do they have any pet insurance around where you are? I heard about pet insurance a little while ago that covers such injuries.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM

Check out a different vet too, my dog had kidney stone and one vet wanted around 2,000 to operate and a family owned vet which was closer to my house wanted $800, we went with them and it went well. I'd still pay the $2,200 for my dog but I'd shop around first.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Definately try another Vet. Are there any Universities nearby? My dog had back leg problems and the Vet was wanting to charge something like $4000.00. Maybe the Vets way of saying put her down? This was in the mid 80's too. Dad ended up getting referred to of all things a racehorse Vet at Melbourne Uni Veterinary College and he charged $1800.00 and she lived happily for quite a few more years.

A few months back my sisters cat was attacked by a neighbours wandering dog, some really bad internal injuries and at the time it was touch and go for him. He ended up with one leg amputated but the last time I saw him he was getting about fine.

Jack reminds me of our last dog Chloe,(Kelpie. With a bit of Rottie) she lived to the ripe old age of 17.

You'll be right.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Chief

My black lab had the surgery back in 2002. At that time it was about $1500. She made a full recovery and lived a good life, so in my opinion it was worth it.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife is going to call local schools to see if they can helps out. The cheapest price so far for the surgury was $1,700 and I think the place may take payments and he could get in next Monday.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Take it from me first hand. Give it some time. Vet's are often quick to cash in our fears. Dogs are resilient. See if there is an improvement within two weeks. In the mean time, put in for pet insurance if it comes down to surgery..

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT View Post
Take it from me first hand. Give it some time. Vet's are often quick to cash in our fears. Dogs are resilient. See if there is an improvement within two weeks. In the mean time, put in for pet insurance if it comes down to surgery..
He's right dogs are very resilient. I have a shepherd mix thats four and he has very bad hips. This dog in on a anti-inflammatory and thats it. He only walks on one back leg most days. Most days he is as happy as anything I have ever seen. He may be slow to get up but hey don't we some days. The vet said the only thing we could do is a full hip replacement and that would be big bucks which I don't have. My wife may kill me over this dog if I don't come up with the money before he gets to bad and have to put him down. I guess the way I look at it is if the dog has a few good years left after the procedure why not if you can fork out the cash. I wish I had the money but its not always that easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1126081535.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	185032