THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Buying a car long distance

Why are the cars you want always on the other side of the country?

I'm in FL and I found a car in CA I'd like to buy, but I'm not sure how to go about the actual transaction. I had the car inspected by a well respected PY member and am not worried about what I'm getting, but I am trying to figure out how to best complete the deal. Any suggestions?

I'm probably going to send them a small deposit by check, but then what? Paypal? (The fees would suck...) Money order? Escrow?

And I'm thinking I should opt for the extra $400 for an enclosed shipper... Would that be worth it? It is coast to coast travel... I was thinking that there would be less jockeying of the car on an enclosed trailer.

Oh, and its not a really high dollar car, call it $5k. But it's solid and I'd like to make sure everything on/in it arrives with it. I think I should definitely get the seller to take lots of pictures as it's being loaded so that I can inspect it when it gets here.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I`ve always flown out , driven back....of course thats only if its a driveable car....

I like to get "adjusted" to the car on the way back...find anything that needs fixing etc...

the 4 times I`ve done it...St Louis, Syracuse NY, Atlanta....and Dallas (only 260 miles)...friends of mine have flown out to San Diego, Phoenix and San Fransisco and driven cars back...when I sold my Austin Healey ,the guy came in looked at it ,bought it...later I delivered the car to his son south of Houston, then he came down here, drove it back to Portland...

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can't get a friend to look it over, fly out there to check it out or ask for a ton of pictures. If shipping accross the country is only $400 for enclosed, that is cheap and would probably cost that or more in gas and time.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've already gotten someone to look the car over for me and send me pictures. And the fact that they know 'cars' gives me the confidence to buy it 'sight unseen'. Driving it back would be 2,600 miles, so that's not something I'm going to try.

Oh, and shipping is about $1100, with an EXTRA $400 for enclosed. Not $400 enclosed total.

But I'm asking about the actual transaction.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe he said 400 extra for enclosed transport over open transport. The seller will probably dictate how he wants you to pay for the car. It would be totally up to you on the closed vs open transport. I've hauled show cars open for thousands and thousands of miles and never gotten as much as a stone chip. But those were MY cars. I don't know if I would spend extra for enclosed for a 5k car, but again it's your call.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would try to get someone I knew locally to act between you and the seller to transfer funds and take posession of the car. Perhaps short term storage can be arranged until you can get there or make arrangements to transfer.

George

Old 10-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately I don't "know" anybody in the area. Like I said, a fellow board member was nice enough to look at it for me. I don't know that he wants to deal with MORE requests... (He's almost an hour away as it is..)

Old 10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default simple things

One time I had the owner take a picture of the title sitting on today's newspaper (like they do with hostages in the movies).

With digital editing of photos, even this isn't 100%... .but if the delay between your request and you receiving the photo is only a couple of hours, its probably pretty good assurance.

One other time I called the local police department (local to the car that is), told them I was buying a car over the internet, and asked if they could just verify yes or no that the plate # I gave them was registered to the name I gave them. They did it for me. It was a small town, so that might have made it easier.

At some point, I've always just wired the money to their account. When you wire the money, you can confirm the name on the destination account, the location of the bank, etc.

Then, at least you'd have a cause of action if they ran off with your money.

Other than that, you need to takes your chances and either fly out there or take some risk.

P.S - regarding the enclosed transport, I wouldn't bother.... Honestly, what car is gonna get hurt by 1 week outside... I've shipped several cars, never paid for the enclosed transport. - Especially for a car that's only worth $5k.. You're going to spend 10% more for the car so it can be inside for a week?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good thoughts on the enclosed trailer. It's sitting outside now anyway. I was just wondering if, in general, the enclosed trailer shippers take better care of the cars.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

When I bought my car it was in British Columbia Canada. I wired the monet to the seller. He FED-EXed the bill of sale. I signed it and faxed him a copy. He then FED-EXed the title. The car was shipped probably 4000 miles on open carriers. It came across Canada on a train and from Toronto on an open carrier. There was no damage. Most, if not all, carriers do a walk around and note any damages, paint chips, dings or scratches on a form before they load the car. I was given the report when the car arrived and did my own walk around. Everything was fine. What shipping company have you talked to? There are places online to find shipping quotes. That may save you some money. I have heard bad things about DAS including one story where the driver decided to put 200 miles on a car.
James

Old 10-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

If you ship it in an open trailer make sure the car is winterized to the max. I had a friend
who did the same thing and as the truck went from a warm place thru the cold zones the
block froze and cracked. His tuff luck, as it was an honest mistake. He never thought about it and the seller never thought about it. If possible have the seller shrink wrap, even
saran wrap works, the hood , roof, trunk and whatever else. Costs pretty well nothing and gives good protection. Shrink wrap won`t flop in the wind and wear out the paint if done properly.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just bought a round trip ticket NJ to San Francisco for $260. Add in a rental car and a cheap hotel you would could be under $500 do the transaction in person, maybe you could time it so you could be there when the carrier picks up the car.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 AM

Bought a 73 Formula for the wife this summer. Transaction went smooth and shipping was not a problem. We worried the whole time it was in transit. The car was white but looked light brown by the time it arrived. Just needed a wash job to get the road spray off it. They do a bill of landing and note any dents, scratches or paint chips. Then have you inspect it when it arrives. We were very pleased with it but have herd horror stories of cars bought that were junk or rusted out. If you had someone check out the car and feel the people you are dealing with are honest you should be fine. We used a company called Express Auto Transport They were very good at keeping us informed from pickup until delivery. They even gave us the drivers cell phone number so we could contact him. He called us before he made it to town and set up a drop point to pick up the car. The people we bought the car from had used them before and recommended them. Hope yours work out as well as ours did.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

I think it would be worth it if you bother the respected PY member again. Offer him a few bucks for his time to go out there to seal the deal for you if he would. The peace of mind alonew ould be worth it. Let him control the finances if you trust him. He can be on the phone with you as he makes the transaction. You can then go over everything that is suppossed to go with the car. Leave out touchy situations as to asking his opinion of the car. I am sure he does not want to be liable if both your opinions vary.

Or.. Have some trust in your fellow man and deal with him directly. I have done a ton of deals from NY to as far as Sweden and never had a problem. Just take every precaution you can without driving yourself crazy..

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Good thoughts on the enclosed trailer. It's sitting outside now anyway. I was just wondering if, in general, the enclosed trailer shippers take better care of the cars.
When I haul for anyone with the enclosed, it's a slower trip, not only because of the large box tagging along, but because if the person wants it in an enclosed trailer, they really care about it.
In the open, anything can happen from flying rocks to tire treads coming off a passing vehicle, your own truck or trailer, it's just alot more risk for everyone. But people want it shipped cheap as possible, and that means the extra mpg you lose with the enclosed is unreasionilbe to not use the open trailer.
I would much rather have the business to haul only with the enclosed, but the last couple years, it's been hard to justify even owning the enclosed trailer. (which is why I have it for sale) I'd love for it to be the only trailer I used to haul cars with! But that extra cost thing....and people willing to pay for the extra fuel.