Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default putting a 400 Pontiac into a 78 Buick Regal

What is involved in replacing a V-6, 3.8L Buick engine, in a 78 Regal with a 1968 400 Pontiac engine. I assume that the trans in the Buick is a th200 and will have to be upgraded as well.

Any info is appreciated.

I bought a 67 LeMans for my boys. They have no interest in the car and it has a fresh 400 in it. I rebuilt the engine after having the machining work done. It runs great and is not broken in yet. I might end up parting out the car to get my money back. My son-in-law wants to put the engine in his Buick.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It would have been easier if the engine were a '70 up block,then all you would have needed were the correct engine brackets from a 301 G body,as the lower "clamshell" mounts are the same on all those late model cars,now the mount location might need to be changed/moved on the K member for the different engines,but the mount itself is the same.

As it is,with the earlier block,you would need the 301 brackets and some early to late adapter brackets.

And honestly,that combo of bracket/adapter/mount is'nt all that strong,so I'm not even too sure I would approach this that way.

I've heard of guys using the earlier style A body frame brackets and motor mounts,but I have no solid info on that,and IIRC that was being done on a mid 70's A body.

Sorry if this really did'nt help much.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you could find a Regal or GP that came stock with a 301 that would give you correct frame mounts, but with a 68 engine you'll need the adapters to use the early block with late mounts for the 301. PY and Butlers and quite a few others vendors sell these. If you can weld, it may be just as easy to fab frame mounts to use with the early mounts on the late frame if they're anywhere near the right place on the crossmember as far as front to rear location.

The 200 tranny won't hang in long if you do any spirited driving at all, probably just as easy to use short tail 350 or 400. If you wanna use dual exhaust you either have to modify the stock transmission crossmember or buy an after market one for using duals in a G body, and speaking of exhaust unless your lucky enough to find a set of Indian Adventures headers you won't be able to use headers on it. Indian Adventures used to make headers for this swap but has since went out of business and the headers don't become available used very often.

Since the car had HEI originally I would swap the points distributor out for a later HEI unit too.

Cooling will need upgraded also with a larger radiator, possibly an aluminum radiator.

All of the wiring and accessories will need modified but a donor car with a 301 may be useful to get brackets and other small items from.

The rear axle ratio is far from ideal for performance use and not very strong either so you'll need to upgrade that with a better rear axle too. Buick GN or Olds 442s have a stronger axle but may be difficult to find. 12 bolts from earlier A bodys can be made to fit and I know there are aftermarket sources for Ford 9 inch housings also.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I forgot something and someone else will chime in with details I may have omitted. Obviously your not gonna do the swap in a weekend, good luck.

I guess Bret was doing his reply while I was doing mine so some info is duplicated

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might have clearance issues with the steering shaft. I saw one with a 454 in it and the guy had to cut the header apart and reroute it to clear the shaft.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Senior Chief

I had a 79 regal that I replaced the 301 with a 400/th350. So far all info is correct for what is needed.The alt/ps brackets need to be from the 400,301 stuff will not fit. A wiring harness from a 301 car would be the easy way unless you like splicing wires.I used the stock 400 exh manifolds with 70 A-body front exhaust pipes and notched the crossmember.
Craig

Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks for the info

It may be too much trouble for me to handle right now.

Take care,
Greg

Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

For the Buick, freshen up that V-6, replace the seals etc, get a used turbo & be done with it.
You would be better off keeping that 67 together and selling it as a whole car. Is it that far gone? Parting cars out makes a mess & is nothing but a headache..

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Post some pics of the car if you can. Would love to see it..

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 LeMans

Yeah,

It's a disappointment that my teenage sons have not done anything for this car.

I hope the pic comes through,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	le mans 001 (1).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	184911