Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Chief

Default Rattling Noise Question

My Pontiac Grandville has a loud rattling noise that I hear both at idle and when revving.

It sounds like a big screw is bouncing around inside the AC compressor. It's clearly coming from either the AC or from the pulley. I put my stethoscope onto the AC unit, on the water pump, and on the alternator. I hear the noise ONLY on the AC unit. It is also NOT coming from the engine.

Is this an AC compressor issue, or an pulley issue? Is the pulley a part that I can fairly easily remove from the AC compressor? I've never had to do that before. Are there any special tools, or does it bolt on?

I also know there is a part called the "idler pulley" that can create a rattling sound. But I don't know which pulley actually meets that description.

I would probably replace the belt as well as the alternator if I did this job myself. Believe it or not, the alternator date codes to being the original 1973 unit. I think it's probably time I let it enjoy it's retirement!

Last edited by michaeld; 05-22-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Senior Chief

For anyone who has a similar issue, I've been getting attention at the street thread:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=599531

Apparently, the problem is either with the bearings in the magnetic clutch of the AC compressor, or the pulley bearings.

For the time being, I'm going with the po' white trash redneck mechanic's repair: cut the belt.

Would be interested in making appropriate repairs to the AC, but only if I could put a refrigerant in the system that wouldn't require more pressure than the old unit could handle.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:15 PM

It's he clutch bearing. FOr the money and labor put a reman compressor on it when you're ready, just be sure to fill the oil resevoir.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-26-2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks, Mike.

For the time being, my plan is to A) record the sound the car is making; B) cut the belt off and go back to normal.

When/if I elect to get the AC going, I'd want to know exactly what I needed to do before doing anything. If I were just able to add freon, it would be one thing. But if I have to configure the system to accept a different refrigerant, I'd want to know what was entailed.

I've NEVER worked on an AC system, and don't really know the first thing about them except how to tell when the car isn't cold anymore.