Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Doug's Headers in '68 Firebird

I've finally installed the headers and took the car to the exhaust shop to install the 2 1/2" Pypes with X system, but found that the passenger side header does not line up with hump in the trans cross member, it is too far to the right.

It's a '68 Coupe with T-400 trans. Only thing I can think of is it has a '74 Block so the orginal motor mounts were not used.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I need to give the guys an answer by morning if they should just modify the Pypes system to fit or not.

Thanks
Wayne

P.S. Also, the trans cooling lines are hitting at the top of the collector and also next to the frame rail. These were supposed to be replacements from Year 2 by the prior owner. I've manipulated them to clear, but they are starting to kink at the bends. Looks like I'll have to replace these as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	51008   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006F.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	51009  

Last edited by 68FB400; 04-24-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

looks like someone installed a speed reducer on the speedometer cable to cut down the miles that are shown on the odometer

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Senior Chief

yep, speedometer installed to correct going from 2.56 gears to 3.55's

Old 04-24-2006, 11:17 PM

Wayne,
I'm fairly sure the newer blocks have five holes and the older have three. I believe this means that the old blocks need an adapter to go in the 2nd gen firebirds but are fine in the 1st gen.

I looked at my '68 and the headers (Super Comps) line up fine with the cross member. My car has the 2 spd cross member which is different from the TH400 cross member. Maybe your issue is the cross member? Did you have headers before?

Mike

Old 04-25-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Chief

Didn't have headers before, just stock manifolds. I beliefve the cross member is correct for T-400 but this is only assumption as it's what was there when I got it.

I talked with Doug's/Pertronix tech support last night. They do not know of any issue like what I'm describing.

In looking at previous posts w/the Doug's installed on Wangers '67, it looks like the passenger side collector/reducer is bent/offset a little like mine. Maybe there is no issue after all. I'll just have the installer make a short pipe to make the system work.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't you just love that answer. My standard response to that answer is always, "Well, if you have never heard of this issue before then I must have a bad set of headers, go ahead and get me another set out free of charge, please."

Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 PM

Wink 67/68/69 Headers

If this is a D port car, I prepare Hookers for my customers. If it's a round port, I tell them to buy IA headers. No problem with either, auto or manual. The ones in your pics are not fitting right and I don't believe it's due to the block, unless of course you have raised the engine an inch or so with adapters. Take care as the heat will be significant that close to the floor.