Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-19-2022, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
It's 4am, morning coffee time. You just happened to pop up and it was convenient for me. Nothing more.

I don't care much about the electric stuff. I'll likely be dead and gone before that happens, but if it does, I'll resort back to riding horses before I jump on that bandwagon.
The electric crowd has a big problem ahead of them. The tech is garbage, we do not have enough electrical generation capability to even do 10% of the cars on the road. Not even close.
Building new power plants is very difficult, coal anyone ?. Grid is terrible, rolling blackouts. China make parts for it now. Takes too long to charge and rates are going up.
So just what are we saving ?
Its a joke. Those cars are just like your laptop. When new your laptops battery lasts for hours. Few years later you are plugging it in after 1/2 hour.
Same with these cars, only the battery costs 30K and the car is worth 10K.
500,000 lbs of earth dug up for every battery, slave labor too. Cars are mostly plastic=oil. The trucks are VERY heavy. Means going through tires fast and wearing out the roads.
I am sure you know all this stuff, just had to say it. I think its great you drive old classics as daily drivers. I look up to the effort.
My newest rigs are 07s. A Tundra, about the longest lasting, most reliable truck there is. Airbags all around me. And a 07 Volvo S40. Euro cars a junk but Volvo is the best one. Safe and long lasting. But too many special tools to work on them.
Now Ford trucks are aluminum throw away body's with puny boosted engines. Chevy trucks have been cr@p since about 2014. Toyota just made a big mistake with junking the big V8 to a turbo V6. There is no local shop that has ever had to rebuild that fantastic 5.7 V8. Can not get anymore reliable than that.
And you can not even get some of these hybrid vehicles serviced within 4 hours of where lots of people live.
Most of the time in life simple is better. To a point but you get it.

Topic, the DCI RAV heads are great. It would be fun to build one. But they have never done anything a E head has not done so it would just be for nostalgia-cool factor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
The electric crowd has a big problem ahead of them. The tech is garbage, we do not have enough electrical generation capability to even do 10% of the cars on the road. Not even close.
Building new power plants is very difficult, coal anyone ?. Grid is terrible, rolling blackouts. China make parts for it now. Takes too long to charge and rates are going up.
So just what are we saving ?
Its a joke. Those cars are just like your laptop. When new your laptops battery lasts for hours. Few years later you are plugging it in after 1/2 hour.
Same with these cars, only the battery costs 30K and the car is worth 10K.
500,000 lbs of earth dug up for every battery, slave labor too. Cars are mostly plastic=oil. The trucks are VERY heavy. Means going through tires fast and wearing out the roads.
I am sure you know all this stuff, just had to say it. I think its great you drive old classics as daily drivers. I look up to the effort.
My newest rigs are 07s. A Tundra, about the longest lasting, most reliable truck there is. Airbags all around me. And a 07 Volvo S40. Euro cars a junk but Volvo is the best one. Safe and long lasting. But too many special tools to work on them.
Now Ford trucks are aluminum throw away body's with puny boosted engines. Chevy trucks have been cr@p since about 2014. Toyota just made a big mistake with junking the big V8 to a turbo V6. There is no local shop that has ever had to rebuild that fantastic 5.7 V8. Can not get anymore reliable than that.
And you can not even get some of these hybrid vehicles serviced within 4 hours of where lots of people live.

Topic, the DCI RAV heads are great. It would be fun to build one. But they have never done anything a E head has not done so it would just be for nostalgia-cool factor.
Agree 100%

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 09-19-2022, 03:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

Now Ford trucks are aluminum throw away body's with puny boosted engines. Toyota just made a big mistake with junking the big V8 to a turbo V6.

I know you just posted that to see if I was reading your posts Dragncar.

Post up anytime you want a "Earlier" engine than 2016 that can accelerate and decelerate from 30 mph (out of the pit) to 240 MPH and run at that speed for 24 hours, except for pit stops.
By the way that engine was 3.5L in size. (Roughly 215 cid).

The big V8s would never survive there. Just a comment based on your post.
I have friends with some Ford turbo engines in their trucks with 350,000 KANSAS "street/highway" miles on them.

Just saying. But you can have your opinion, I try to deal in facts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:

I'll second on that Tundra as my daughter was a service writer at a Toyota dealership that had three or four Tundras at 1,000,000 miles, yes one million miles. On the Euro selection though, my daily drivers have been BMWs the past 22 years. Put 389,000 miles on my last X5. No engine issues and even had the original transmission fluid. Just have to maintain them the right way and drive them. As with any engine, the short trips that don't get oil temps up to operating range kill them.

The Following User Says Thank You to srmmmm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 02:13 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Don't you like the fact that you can get on a commercial jet and travel from the East Coast to San Jose, California in less than one day vs being on a Wagon Train that took 4 months to get to the same destination?

That is newer technology vs the old Prop Job stuff or the wagon train.
For most people they just want to get there quickly and in comfort.
I like getting faraway places quickly too, but I wouldn’t exactly call it new technology. Wide body jets have been making it non-stop from LA to NY in about 6 hours for the last 50 years.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I know you just posted that to see if I was reading your posts Dragncar.

Post up anytime you want a "Earlier" engine than 2016 that can accelerate and decelerate from 30 mph (out of the pit) to 240 MPH and run at that speed for 24 hours, except for pit stops.
By the way that engine was 3.5L in size. (Roughly 215 cid).

The big V8s would never survive there. Just a comment based on your post.
I have friends with some Ford turbo engines in their trucks with 350,000 KANSAS "street/highway" miles on them.

Just saying. But you can have your opinion, I try to deal in facts.

Tom V.
Toyota has bought back some Tundras that have reached 1,000,000 miles with original engines and transmissions . One MILLION miles is a whole lot better than 350,000 miles. And Kansas miles are less than half the wear and tear of city/urban miles.
Facts are good. 1,000,000 is better than 350,000.
The best engines on earth have been made for a long time by Honda, not Ford.
I have a beater Civic that is rolling up on 300,000 miles and I will have 500,000 on her by the time I am done.
I know you are a Ford guy and have done a lot with them. But they are not the best.
When I bought my truck I drove everything and no other truck was close or built better. You could feel it, so I bought it and that truck is still worth 2/3 or better the price I paid off the lot.
How many Ford trucks can say that or even come close to a Tundras resale ?
None.
Oh, that Rust guy has been doing very well against some smaller boosted cars in real racing. And his ride is a lot cooler too.

Last edited by Dragncar; 09-20-2022 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get me started about my '07 Tundra. Still a baby at a little over 200,000 miles. Absolutely bulletproof. I haven't had a truck payment in over 11 years.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Don't get me started about my '07 Tundra. Still a baby at a little over 200,000 miles. Absolutely bulletproof. I haven't had a truck payment in over 11 years.
I have 95,000 on mine. Not even broken in yet. I have tore up some kids who think their Camero,s are fast with mine.
It has run a mid 14 dead stock, at 5700lbs !
Toyota had better have really done their homework with that Turbo V6. A whole lot more complication to replace a engine that lasts 1,000,000 miles !
I do not see it.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
A gas engine Naturally Aspirated 4.7L 270 hp, how come only a 3 year warranty when new?????

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:56 PM

Exclamation

RAV heads.

Back to topic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 11:16 PM
Boost Engineer

RAM AIR V heads have a place in History.
The production Cast Iron heads I have seen in the past had cracking issues in the combustion chamber as well.
As stock- the heads flowed about 300 cfm on a accurate flow bench.
They were also HEAVY.

Bill Foder, a buyer of heads from Tom Nell and Herb Adams had several heads
with these issues. Some were repaired, some could not be repaired.

Lee Schwilm ran a Ram Air 5 boosted Firebird (with a Vortech supercharger) at Virginia Motor Speedway
the year that John Welter ran 6.80s several times there.
Lee's engine was a Cast Iron Head RA-V.

And of course Don at DCI has been selling his aluminum RA-V heads for years. (now totally back on topic).

Tom V.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,I have owned at least 20 sets of RA V factory heads and have never had cracking in any other place but above the center lower head bolt.Nunzi told me years ago NOT to put more than 80lb on that bolt.The head would weep a little water but did not enter anywhere.The AC Delco stop leak pellets would seal them.Tom

Old 09-21-2022, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
I hate to tell ya but the latest and greatest technology is not always that great. I hear people all the time about how something has been redone or improved but the general consensus is it was better before. As time goes on there are alot of things that have not gotten better..They try to reinvent but usually screw it up.
Electric vehicles have been around as long as ICE vehicles. In 1890-1910, they outnumbered ICE vehicles in the USA due to ease of operation. Women (most of them) could not hand crank an ICE engine easily to start it. Kettering fixed that around 1913 or so with the invention of the electric starter.
The EV's then had the same issues as they do now: expensive, toxic batteries, long charge times using expensive electricity, and short range.
Nothing has really changed in the past 130 years except the wrapper on the box.
That said, as a retired mechanic, I drive Toyota trucks because I don't like repairing my own vehicles. My newest car ever is a 1967 GTO. Been driving since 1976. Never had a car payment in my life. Back to topic!

Old 09-23-2022, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
https://youtu.be/ixRRcrbvG-k

That one had just come off the dyno when dad was having his engine finished up and dyno'd. It was an impressive piece.
We can call it a RA VI head then. By the way, that motor has never made a pass, made 1240s on a later pull, with too small carb, in this car, and available for purchase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71F4FDAF-4975-46A6-9B32-BE318BC3AC0B.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	599211   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B22AD71-2A55-4985-AD12-BF8F7ED127FD.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	599212  

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 09-23-2022, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
We can call it a RA VI head then. By the way, that motor has never made a pass, made 1240s on a later pull, with too small carb, in this car, and available for purchase
I'll call it a V with a revision

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 09-23-2022, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'll call it a V with a revision
Good idea�� V*

*note* not a real “purists” aftermarket version, but allowed in certain circles with or without tubes

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds

Last edited by J.C.you; 09-23-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love my DCI RAM AIR V.

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.pag...00551603699285

Old 09-23-2022, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67'7F6'Bird View Post
Have you taken it down the track yet?