Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Another rear spring and ride height thread

Hi to all,
I know this topic has been discussed at length, and I've read a number of older posts regarding rear springs and ride height.
I replaced my '72 TA's rear spring bushings (both the shackle ends) with rubber pieces from NPD (part# C-7524-2A). New front bushings as well (I can't find the part # at the moment).
There was no issue with the springs previous; all I did was disassemble, clean, and instal new rubber spring pads.
I didn't take any measurements pre disassembly, however, the car sat fine; I should qualify that by saying, visually it appear to be sitting at a good ride height.
Now, although the gas tank is empty, the rear glass is out of the car, and there is no trunk lid on, the car sits at horrible 31.25" (measured from the ground to the wheel lip). I understand that the car can "settle" and the extra weight of the fuel, glass, and trunk lid will assist in this, but I can't see it dropping to the desired 27-28" range.
I followed the assembly manual while reassembling the suspension, keeping things lose until the car was sitting on its own weight.

Did I miss something during reassembly? I realize that there are lowering blocks, the springs can be de-arched and new springs that I can be purchased, I just can't fathom why simply replacing the bushing would create this "mess".
Any suggestions? Any part of the reassembly that I should revisit?
Thanks!
-Andrew

[B]Looking for a '71 casting rochester 7042270 - have a '72 dated 7042270 that can trade?