Old 10-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Broken dipstick

I have been attempting to remove a 3" portion of my dipstick that broke off and is lodged in the lower tube. I'm thinking that it is jammed in the windage tray. Does anyone have an easy solution accessing this area short of raising the engine of the mounts? I've tried for 4+ hours trying to fish it out.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just a guess...1 of those thin teliscoping magnets?
the type you can clip like a pen to your shirt?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Suspended

I think your in for removing the pan in the car to get it out. It can be done as I've changed a rear pan seal & pan gasket while it's in the car. You have to remove the dist so you can jack the engine up high enough to get the pan off but you can do it. Then you can remove your broken dipstick piece. Also the exhaust has to be taken down from the engine & don't forget to take the fan off as it will hit the rad & fan shroud. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Long, thin forceps/tweezers come to mind, but they might not have the gripping power or reach.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

before i pulled the pan i would try making a hook that fits on a slide hammer and wedging it against the lower lip of the broken off tube. Use a screwdriver or comparable to hold it against inner wall of lower tube a see if a few slaps will draw it out. I would give a few slaps rotate the hook give few more slaps rotate hook, few more slaps, rotate...etc until you draw it out.. Other option would be to try a concrete stud anchor that expands as you tighten the nut down on the stud and attach to slide hammer to pull out. A little heat on the outer tube to expand it as you coax out the inner might be helpful too. I'm assuming that the upper tube broke flush with top of lower or close to it? If i misunderstood please clarify. I may have other idea if i misunderstood

73PF455TH4003.08:1
Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Doyle View Post
before i pulled the pan i would try making a hook that fits on a slide hammer and wedging it against the lower lip of the broken off tube. Use a screwdriver or comparable to hold it against inner wall of lower tube a see if a few slaps will draw it out. I would give a few slaps rotate the hook give few more slaps rotate hook, few more slaps, rotate...etc until you draw it out.. Other option would be to try a concrete stud anchor that expands as you tighten the nut down on the stud and attach to slide hammer to pull out. A little heat on the outer tube to expand it as you coax out the inner might be helpful too. I'm assuming that the upper tube broke flush with top of lower or close to it? If i misunderstood please clarify. I may have other idea if i misunderstood
No, he's saying the dipstick end broke off in the bottom of the tube (usually because of the holes near the end). He's more than likely going to have to drop the pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GME157K3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	338936  

The Following User Says Thank You to Held for Ransom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

push it through, let it fall to bottom, use flex magnet in pan , IF its the end where the holes are and its not too long a piece

Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks everyone for the comments. I have tried 'hooking' the end with mechanics wire, and also have tried to 'push' it on through but it appears to be jammed at the end of the lower tube somehow. I really hate to pull the engine to access it. I may just button everything back up and forget it.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ***etaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
thanks everyone for the comments. I have tried 'hooking' the end with mechanics wire, and also have tried to 'push' it on through but it appears to be jammed at the end of the lower tube somehow. I really hate to pull the engine to access it. I may just button everything back up and forget it.
maybe if you are going to do that....put a flat magnet on the bottom of the pan [out side] like the type in a t-400pan and if it comes loose it might hold the piece?

Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default thanks HFR for clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
No, he's saying the dipstick end broke off in the bottom of the tube (usually because of the holes near the end). He's more than likely going to have to drop the pan.
After rereading i see he was talking about actual dipstick and not tube. Thanks for clarification. I was thinking maybe try using one those long reach tools that has the mini grapple on one end, a flexible shaft and push button on the other end to get it out.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
After rereading i see he was talking about actual dipstick and not tube. Thanks for clarification. I was thinking maybe try using one those long reach tools that has the mini grapple on one end, a flexible shaft and push button on the other end to get it out.
I have considered some type of suture, but haven't come up with anything on an internet search for this application. It's about 8" down from the top of the tube.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a good idea....Gordy.....grappling hook

Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just looked my grapple hook. It just slightly too big to fit down the tube
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	338960  

Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe you can find a smaller diameter grapple long reach tool I can't tell you how many times I've fished out bolts or nuts that fall between header panel and core support. A must have for 70 73 owners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	338961  

Old 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem is, is that you are probably going to have to twist the piece back and forth to free it. Long forceps may work, but it's going to be work.
http://www.amazon.com/2pcs-Stainless...ef=pd_sim_hi_5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Held for Ransom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
The problem is, is that you are probably going to have to twist the piece back and forth to free it. Long forceps may work, but it's going to be work.
http://www.amazon.com/2pcs-Stainless...ef=pd_sim_hi_5
I ordered a couple different sets and one of those hopefully will work

Old 10-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Suspended

If all your trying to do is push it out why don't you get a small brake line like an 1/8th inch one as they are more flexable & will fit in the dipstick tube & then you can just push it through , & then use your flexable magnet to fish it out of the oil pan through the drain plug hole. It may take you a few trys to push it out of the dipstick tube but because it is flexable it will fit down the tube & push it out with a little effort.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
If all your trying to do is push it out why don't you get a small brake line like an 1/8th inch one as they are more flexable & will fit in the dipstick tube & then you can just push it through , & then use your flexable magnet to fish it out of the oil pan through the drain plug hole. It may take you a few trys to push it out of the dipstick tube but because it is flexable it will fit down the tube & push it out with a little effort.
I've tried that, it's lodged in the tube somehow and won't budge

Old 10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default flexy

Quote:
Just looked my grapple hook. It just slightly too big to fit down the tube
tried mine on my 69 GTO, it fit till I got to the 2nd tube,must be a smaller dia.
also mine [if it matters]is not an ac car like yours.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are some small diameter USB cams out there now, you may be able to take a look in there
Also I have cut a slot in SS brake line and put it in and twisted it. ( SS is alot more rugged and will not twist as mush as steel)

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post: