The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-05-2023, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need Bumper Polish Recommendation

I can't justify the cost of plating my front bumper but how do I make it look as good as it can?

Is something like Chemical Guys Heavy Metal Polish and a buffer a reasonable approach or are there better options?

So far, I used steel wool, then Blue Magic Metal Cream and a terry cloth bonnet on a small buffer. I don't feel like it was aggressive enough but honestly don't know what can be expected.

There are lots of scratches and some dings, but the plating is still mostly intact, although "hazy" in some places and that's what I'm hoping could be improved. For example, here is a "sticker ghost" that clearly indicates degradation in the "exposed" area:

I've also got some scratches with exposed steel and I'd like to keep any rust from growing. I'm guessing a coat of wax could do this...

Thanks for any suggestions

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230705_211022.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	615411  

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Valco Cincinnati makes my favorite metal polish. Here is a link. Also great RTV and a product called Phase 2 that everyone I have ever shown it to loves as well.
http://www.valco-cp.com/Magic%20Mix.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Mike

Old 07-07-2023, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

The bumpers on my '66 were redone back in 1993 and this is all I've ever used.
I use it on all my Brightwork.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 07-13-2023 at 06:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Hamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never Dull is what I used prior to discovering Magic Mix. Very similar results and my guess is similar chemistry. Magic Mix is much easier to apply and wipe off however. Both work great.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jeff and Mike

I guess I needed to be more clear about wanting something more "aggressive" for "restoring" the original plating that is far below pretty.

I'm thinking a foam pad on a buffer and a notch up on abrasiveness. Do you think the Metal Magic and Never Dull fall into this category? The Blue Magic definitely shines up good chrome and is easy to use but it didn't do much beyond that. I've also got some Turtle Wax? chrome cleaner that shines up good chrome, but is not improving the hazy tired finish I have.

So far, the Chemical Guys Heavy Metal is the only thing I've seen advertised this way, but I'm hoping to hear from somebody who has successfully attacked a similarly tired original bumper finish. Or maybe I just need to be told I can't get there from here?

Mike

Old 07-07-2023, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a guess here but how about something made to polish glass? Both are very hard surfaces.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quick - Glo

I haven’t tried it yet but this is what I think I’ll use on my ‘63 bumpers.

https://quick-glo.com/about/?v=h76cb0a18730b

I would avoid a heavier abrasive, anything acidic, or steel wool. Get it as best as you can and drive. Don’t forget, you can’t see your bumper while you’re driving!

Old 07-07-2023, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Just a guess here but how about something made to polish glass? Both are very hard surfaces.
Good thought. I remember something about glass polishing minerals (cerium oxide?) are known to "break down" and yes, chrome is super hard. Now, do I have any chrome left? Different question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
I haven’t tried it yet but this is what I think I’ll use on my ‘63 bumpers.

https://quick-glo.com/about/?v=h76cb0a18730b

I would avoid a heavier abrasive, anything acidic, or steel wool. Get it as best as you can and drive. Don’t forget, you can’t see your bumper while you’re driving!
Thanks for the link. Hope it works well for you. Share the experience when you get there.

And yes, my bumper is good enough for me. It's going on the car no matter what it looks like. Driving it would be exciting.. I'm more optimistic about that than I've been.

Old 07-08-2023, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can forget Quick-Glo. Even though their website is still up, apparently nobody has gotten product from them for a long while.
No online retailer has it in stock. It was a family business that seems to have just ended with no notice.
Too bad. Leno liked it!

Old 07-08-2023, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

I read something years back where many people were polishing up old chrome rims/bumpers with Noxon 7 and brass wool. I thought it worked really well. I guess my container of Noxon I have here will be my last because it looks like they were bought out and discontinued. It was one of those ammonia based cleansers kinda like Brasso (maybe so similar and the reason it was discontinued?). I still use it now occasionally.

I always did have good results with Blue Magic, but switched to Semichrome a few years back. I sometimes do side work rehabbing old high-end gas cylinder regulators for people that need to supply C02 for horticultural and aqua-horticultural purposes. The Semichrome works great on the brass/stainless/chrome surfaces and leaves protection. The bronze wool is always a key component for me.

So many options with chrome I guess! Good luck!

Old 07-08-2023, 05:14 PM

I used Noxon in the past also, and yes, it can't be found in stores by me anymore. I did find it online for some outrageous price though.
I bought Brasso, but haven't tried it yet. I'm hopeful the results are as good.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for more ideas and updates on products.

I did try Brasso, as I've always used it for brass and the ammonia or similar chemical in it removes tarnish well. Unfortunately, it didn't improve the finish on my bumper beyond what I got with steel wool and the Blue Magic.

I ordered some of the Magic Mix Metal Polish mgarblik suggested and will try it with a foam pad. My goal is still to improve enough to eliminate that "sticker ghost" I posted earlier.

For now, it's good enough and I'm not investing a lot more energy to make the chrome perfect when it's scuffed, scraped, and dented. And this bumper is far from the weakest link in the cosmetic universe of my LeMans.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have to live with what you have. I had my 55 Chevy bumpers rechromed in 1980. In 2012 when I was finishing a frame off resto on it, I noticed the chrome front and rear bumpers had become dull over the years. Majority of those years the car sat in my garage. I couldn't get a good luster like new chrome. To replate $650 each. Buy new $300 each. I bought new and last year finally sold my old set front and back. I do believe the chrome dulls over time (washing, sun uv, etc.).

Old 07-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

If the chrome has thinned enough that the underlying nickel is reflecting thru the chrome there isn’t much polishing will do to get a mirror like shine. I suspect that may be the reason for the dulling not polishing out thus far.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like my ol man said .....Son, you can’t polish a turd.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:34 PM

Pick out a cool sticker and cover the offending area!

Old 07-18-2023, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny
Or maybe I just need to be told I can't get there from here?
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
If the chrome has thinned enough that the underlying nickel is reflecting thru the chrome there isn’t much polishing will do to get a mirror like shine. I suspect that may be the reason for the dulling not polishing out thus far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Like my ol man said .....Son, you can’t polish a turd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokitty View Post
Pick out a cool sticker and cover the offending area!
OK, OK, OK, OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny
For now, it's good enough and I'm not investing a lot more energy to make the chrome perfect when it's scuffed, scraped, and dented. And this bumper is far from the weakest link in the cosmetic universe of my LeMans.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:44 PM

When I polished the turd so to speak on the 63 vette we didn’t want to rechrome as it’s all original just cleaned up, I used vinegar with a scotch bright pad and then went over them with quick glow and was pleased. Still has putting but turned out decently as they where very rusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vroom_vroom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may want to revisit the definition of turd.

That's about 20 rungs higher - beautiful!