Old 05-13-2010, 04:48 PM

Default 71 and 72 front fender question

I have been having a hard time finding a replacement front passenger fender for my 1972 Lemans, I believe its GTO option because it has an Endura bumper and Valance. The interior is suppose to be all original and I see GTO badges there. I found fenders for a 1971 in good condition, but I want to know for sure if it will fit and the curves and bolt holes will match. I took a picture of the body tag under the hood, maybe someone knowledgeable can help me decipher it? When I did it myself nothing really matched up and its definitely not a true GTO.
And while I'm at it, what literature is recommended for the kind of repairs I'm going to be doing? Radiator, Molding, and Core supports as well as Bumper Rebuild. I feel like if I can get the body together and primer it, the rest will fall in place over time.

Not much to look at yet, but she runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6549.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	206318   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6561.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	206319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6563.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	206320  

Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

In 1972 a GTO was just an option on the lemans. Your best bet would be to get a PHS report on the car. IT is somewhere around $40.00 & they will send you a copy of the original build sheet showing what options came on the car from the factory along with other literature. 71 GTO & 72 GTO fenders are the same dimensions & will interchange, 71s do not have the air extractor in the fender.
Good Luck.
Brian

Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

couple things,you have to send off and get the PHS paperwork on it to find out if it is a GTO or not.in 1972 it went back to an option on the lemans body so you can't tell by the 242XX like you could in 68,69 70,71 and such.
next the fenders will bolt up but not be correct.the 72's have the side vents in them where the 71's don't.70-71-72 are all oe year fenders making finding some fun.hope this helps

Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

1972 GTO's are option packages, so the VIN would say either LeMans or LeMans Sport. The Endura front was a stand alone package for LeMans, not just for GTOs.

Pontiac Historical documentation will show what the car was equipped with from factory, and if it had the Goat package.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Going by the 350 rocker panel trim, this is likely a Lemans with the GTO endura front option. That pretty much makes it a GTO in appearance. If your VIN has an M for an engine code that would indicate 350 V8. GTOs have a T , Y or X code. Nice color, looks pretty good from what I can see!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh one other thing, that's the Lemans Sport grille. looks like you have a desirable 72 Lemans with the F41 front end option. It'd be interesting to see how it came from the factory option wise.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good Luck, I've been looking for 72 fenders for years. I have a set of 71's I guess I'll finally have to break down and figure out a way to put the extractors in it.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Don't forget to take a ton of pictures as you take it apart. They will help to put it back together.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all of the responses, I really took my time last night and looked over what needed to be repaired to get the front end to sit properly. I need a new core support and the entire radiator housing.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The radiator supports can be difficult to find in good condition. You can repair the bottom of the one you have or some people have swapped the top portion onto the 1970 reproduction core support.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How tough is it to put in extractors in a fender that did not have them previously?
Assuming you have the extractors and the sheetmetal flange that surrounds them.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM

I could be very wrong. But looking at the extractors I have on there now, which can be replaced. I'd imagine you'd have to get the right size hole cut into the 71 fender skin and mount the replacements the same you would if you replaced the factory 72 extractors. I didn't see any sophisticated attachments around the factory extractors that are there now. Maybe that's just me hoping thats how easy it will be, as I have found some 71 fenders without the extractor vents as some of the responses mentioned as differences between the two model years. I'll take a closer look tonight but, if not guess I'll have a 72 with 71 fenders.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gartner View Post
Good Luck, I've been looking for 72 fenders for years. I have a set of 71's I guess I'll finally have to break down and figure out a way to put the extractors in it.
Partial thread hi-jack . . .

Terry - I have a pair of NOS '72 T41/GTO front fenders for sale.

Best to contact me by e-mail: bell-auto@comcast.net

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I could be very wrong. But looking at the extractors I have on there now, which can be replaced. I'd imagine you'd have to get the right size hole cut into the 71 fender skin and mount the replacements the same you would if you replaced the factory 72 extractors. I didn't see any sophisticated attachments around the factory extractors that are there now. Maybe that's just me hoping thats how easy it will be, as I have found some 71 fenders without the extractor vents as some of the responses mentioned as differences between the two model years. I'll take a closer look tonight but, if not guess I'll have a 72 with 71 fenders.
It is not that easy, the extractors sit in a flange that has the mounting tabs on it. You would have to flange the area yourself or put in the flange cut from a donor car. I am looking to do this on my 72 lemans. I have a non enduro front end but love the look of the extractors.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NOS Fenders, most likely way out of my budget. Generally the best I ever hope for is a car that looks good from 10'.