EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 10-31-2023, 03:06 PM

Default New 5” Sniper EFI Digital Dash ??

What do you guys think about the New 5” digital dash screen? In place of the little 3 inch? Or is it better to go with the 6inch with more options? Just seeing if anyone had this? Or was thinking about it?

I have a terminator x max on my 461

Old 10-31-2023, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve heard good things about it. It’s perfect if you just want it for a display screen. I have the 6.86” dash, but if I didn’t I’d consider the 5”.

I take this guys Holley tuning courses
https://youtu.be/lPPejD51rOA?si=CU3m8x1euvxrWsFt

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 11-01-2023, 10:12 AM

I have recently been watching his videos …..I saw his training course was $650 which seemed alittle steep to me…..has it been worth it to you?

Old 11-01-2023, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow1098 View Post
What do you guys think about the New 5” digital dash screen? In place of the little 3 inch? Or is it better to go with the 6inch with more options? Just seeing if anyone had this? Or was thinking about it?

I have a terminator x max on my 461
The 3 inch supplied is fine for what I use it for. Just simply to display oil pressure, fuel pressure, water temp and AFR. That way I can eliminate unnecessary extra gauges in the car. I also use it to switch tunes if need be and do some datalogging. Other than that I do all my tuning on the laptop so the rest of the functions on the handheld I don't care about really.

If it were bigger, I'd just have a harder time keeping it somewhat secluded from view in a stock appearing car.

Now if I were building some sort of custom car with a completely fabricated dash removed of all factory gauges, then I'd for sure like a rather large Holley screen front and center to monitor everything, like most race cars are done.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 11-01-2023, 04:48 PM

The 3 inch works fine for me also… I would like alittle bigger display but I noticed the gauge sweeps take up most of the screen on the 5 inch…..I’m not sure if you can change that to all the digital readings like the 3 inch has. I don’t need the big gauge sweeps and I’d want the AFR and temps and TPS and IAC numbers bigger not sure if it has the display customization to do that or your stuck with the big gauge sweeps.

Any other info on the Holley tuning courses? I just use annoying YouTube and would like to become better at it …I like that guy joe Simpson but dam $650 for the course is steep

Old 11-01-2023, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's how I program mine. I just want to see the 4 vitals but you can do as many as 6. You can change the display as well but when configured like this showing numbers it's really easy to read on the small screen, and it's convenient.

I also like setting parameters to make the screen flash yellow and then red when it reaches a pre-determined number of your choosing. It gets your attention if something gets out of the normal range. As you can see it doing in this short video. Of course you can also switch to other pre programmed screens when you want to look at something else. I have one that is just rpm and I have the entire display flash yellow and red at the shift points to use as a shift light.

https://youtu.be/bTaWq0Ykjtk

Old 11-01-2023, 08:31 PM

I had no idea you could do that on the 3 inch….how do you change To get that? I’m sure it can be done on 5” also

Old 11-01-2023, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to go in with the laptop and in the gauge layout you can pin different things for display. Basically everything the Sniper monitors you can make a gauge display. You have choices to view it in analog style, digital sweep, simple numbers (which I like because it's easy to read at a glance) and some other options I don't remember off the top of my head. You can do one or two per screen, or even 6 and I think maybe 8 if I remember correctly. As you add more the the squares get smaller of course, but I find it better to just do 4 per screen and up to 3 screens so you can switch around to watch what ever you decide to program.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Something to keep in mind if you are building a car from scratch is that you’ll spend $1100-$1300 pretty easily on quality gauges. At that point you may be better off going with a 6.86” stand alone pro dash. I have the regular 6.86” pro dash and have gps speedometer, tach, air/fuel, voltage, oil pressure, fuel pressure, manifold vacuum, water temperature, fuel tank level, and E85 content. Not to mention the rest of the sensor data I get from being efi.

I have mine mounted to the steering column and it sits in front of my factory 1970 gauges.

Stand alone dash
https://www.holley.com/products/gaug.../parts/553-117
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4806.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	622694  

Old 11-02-2023, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Regarding the Joe Simpson tune the trilogy course, I think it’s great. The videos are short and to the point. It’s all broken down by each function of Holley efi. Everything is super easy to follow and find. Have a question regarding IAC??? watch the associated video.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Joe does a Black Friday deal this year. If I see anything I’ll post it here.

I think one of the biggest benefits is the private Facebook group. If you are stumped you can post and there’s a lot of support from other users and Joe himself.

I grabbed a screenshots from the course and from the Facebook group
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4810.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	622695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4809.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	622696  

Old 11-02-2023, 09:48 AM

I already do have Dakota digital in place of my factory gauges that integrate with the Holley so I just wanted a larger/better display in place of the 3 inch….

That tuning course looks awesome ….please do post here if the sale comes up! I wanna get the most out of my terminator and it looks like we have a very similar setup

I definitely wanna learn myself as I need to play with my idle as it’s changes on its own a lot but I think that’s more to do with my huge throttle body and also tune the fuel table at WOT

Also…have you in addition to that got your car dyno tuned? I’m sure learning to tune it myself doesn’t really take the place of getting that done

The Following User Says Thank You to yellow1098 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The track would work just as well. They are pretty powerful systems when it comes to datalogging with tons of information.

We make passes and datalog each, paying particular attention to fueling. Doesn't take too long to get it all dialed in and the changes are quick and easy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 03:27 PM

That’s exactly what I’d like to be able to do! I don’t know the first thing about tuning the fuel table though….I’m thinking the joe Simpson course would teach me from a complete novice perspective?

Old 11-03-2023, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That’s exactly what I’d like to be able to do! I don’t know the first thing about tuning the fuel table though….I’m thinking the joe Simpson course would teach me from a complete novice perspective?
Yes. It takes a very basic approach to explaining how each tuning function works. Once you set the A/F the learn function actually does a decent job of getting you going in the right direction. I’m still learning how to tune myself.

If your combo is similar to mine you can start with the base 496 BBC tune like I did. It got the car started and actually ran pretty dang well. I have my timing locked at 25* while I figure things out. We did run into problems setting up the dual-sync distributor. We ended up using a Holley 10x crank trigger with a halleffect sensor.

Btw if anyone wants to copy my crank trigger set-up, Funkhouser’s made me a Pontiac specific mounting bracket to adapt the Holley SBC 10x kit. I can have a few made if there’s a demand for them.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:42 AM

Can you send me a pic of your mounting bracket? Yes I have mine running on that initial base tune setup pretty well since I installed the new engine for about 900 miles now. It runs pretty well but the WOT definitely needs work as well as the idle but like I said that might be the big ass Wilson 1,300 cfm throttle body.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1865A467-E83B-4DC1-B819-E07CC6C13E4D.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	622751  

Old 11-03-2023, 01:38 PM

Also tune trilogy looks like it $300 right now is that the lowest sale price I could hope for

Old 11-06-2023, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Can you send me a pic of your mounting bracket? Yes I have mine running on that initial base tune setup pretty well since I installed the new engine for about 900 miles now. It runs pretty well but the WOT definitely needs work as well as the idle but like I said that might be the big ass Wilson 1,300 cfm throttle body.
I’m running the 105mm TB so I get it. Do you have idle spark adjustment on or off? Mine actually idles better with it off, but I haven’t spent a bunch of time fine tuning it with it on. Joe prefers it on.

Regarding the bracket it’s very similar to the MSD crank trigger bracket. MSD does not sell the Pontiac specific mounting bracket individually and Holley does not make a 12-1X set-up with a Hall effect sensor for a Pontiac. The bracket I had made uses the Holley SBC 12-1X kit.

https://www.holley.com/products/parts/556-171

I haven’t had the best luck with Holley lately. They send me a dual-sync that was dead on arrival and a Hall effect sensor that was had an intermittent dead spot. They replaced both under warranty but it was a huge PITA.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

can you use a ''regular pontiac crank trigger set up" with a hall effect pick up swap? if you use the crank trigger do you need the dual synch distributor? probaly one or the other correct? I have two dual synch distributors one msd and one holley, i hope those damn things work by the time i get to running this thing i hadnt considered warranty when i bought this stuff last year

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 11-09-2023, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
can you use a ''regular pontiac crank trigger set up" with a hall effect pick up swap? if you use the crank trigger do you need the dual synch distributor? probaly one or the other correct? I have two dual synch distributors one msd and one holley, i hope those damn things work by the time i get to running this thing i hadnt considered warranty when i bought this stuff last year
Yes you can use a regular 4 magnet crank trigger with ahh effect sensor. I’ve had better luck with the Holley brand sensors over the MSD branded ones, but they are probably the same sensor. The dual since distributor is supposed to provide both the crank and cam signals but it was hit or miss in my experience. Some people have no problems at all, others like me have issues. To be fair I think me running a coil near plug setup complicated things with the dual sync.

You should be just fine using your existing crank trigger along with one of the dual syncs for the cam signal.

There are a couple board members here that sell their own unique cam and crank sensors. One guy has a 36X setup that mounts in the timing cover. Pretty cool setup. Search around and you’ll see.

Old 11-09-2023, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Also tune trilogy looks like it $300 right now is that the lowest sale price I could hope for
Joe just mentioned the Black Friday sale. I don’t know the pricing but here’s a link

https://www.tunethetrilogy.com/earlyblackfriday-2943