EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 06-20-2023, 02:12 PM

Default Holley Sniper QuadraJet condensation

My '67 GTO 5-year project (so far) hit a milestone today. Started it up, took it for a spin and had a bog off idle. Hooking up the vacuum advance hose helped. Runs better now, still need to drive it around some more and let the self learning mode run for a while and maybe up the acceleration enrichment some.

While I was doing the throttle blade adjustment per the instructions, I thought I had a fuel leak. Turns out it was condensation on the throttle body. I am in Georgia, so the humidity is like 347%, but is that weird? Cruise and idle AFRs are set at 13.5 for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230620_103335.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	614510  

Old 06-29-2023, 02:12 AM

I noticed you ran the fuel hose to the front inlet port. Where did you mount the fuel filter?

1968 Firebird: 350 .040 over, #11 Heads w/2.05/1.66 valves, Tomahawk TC-03 cam (214/221 flat tappet cam, 112 LSA, .0450/.0465 lift w/ 1.5 rockers), 200-4R w/3.55 gears, Street Demon 625 w/ Edelbrock Performer, H-Pipe dual exhaust w/Delta Flow 50's.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMeister View Post
My '67 GTO 5-year project (so far) hit a milestone today. Started it up, took it for a spin and had a bog off idle. Hooking up the vacuum advance hose helped. Runs better now, still need to drive it around some more and let the self learning mode run for a while and maybe up the acceleration enrichment some.

While I was doing the throttle blade adjustment per the instructions, I thought I had a fuel leak. Turns out it was condensation on the throttle body. I am in Georgia, so the humidity is like 347%, but is that weird? Cruise and idle AFRs are set at 13.5 for now.
Not weird at all. When I took auto mechanics in hig school at the Vo Tech our instructor had a friend that built an intake manifold for a straight six out of exhaust tubing to put multiple carberation on it.

He said when they first started driving it it would run great, the longer they drove it, the engine slowed down. Let it sit for awhile and it would run fine. The problem was worse if they were driving it at night, and if the humidity was high it was much worse.

One time when it started to slow down somebody thought the accelerator pumps weren't squirting, so the looked down the throat of the carbs while someone had kicked the accelerator open. To their surprise the manifold had ice in it, the manifold had no provision for preheating it, like a cast iron stock manifold did, and it got cold enough that it blocked the manifold with ice.

They found some heat tape for 12 volt system, wrapped it around the tubing,
and it cured the problem. So yes an incuction system can, under the right conditions, cool down the incoming charge.

I realize you don't have snow making equipment where you live, but it works on the same principle. Compressed air sent through a venturi with water induced, and snow comes out the end of the gun.

At idle with the throttle blades closed may be when the air speed is greatest through a small restriction. More humitity will add to the cooling effect.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-29-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFO9A View Post
I noticed you ran the fuel hose to the front inlet port. Where did you mount the fuel filter?
Trying for the cleanest install, I ran the hard line up the right side instead of the left and mounted the filter on the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230629_083703[1].jpg
Views:	111
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	615058