Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Headers with some ground clearance

I currently am running Hooker Super Comp's with 2" primary 3.5" collector part number 4202-1HKR.

I'm looking at these Doug's Headers, D523.

The current issue is the sweep on the lowest tube on the Hooker's gets mashed. All I need to gain is a 1/4" and a 1/2" would be golden. Can anyone tell me if I will gain any clearance with these Doug's vs the Hookers? I'm also grinding off the flange but unless I weld the collector I don't think I can do a lot there.

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 01-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry cant comment on the dougs, but if all you need is 1/4-1/2"... just add a spacer to the front coil springs or get new springs. much easier & cheaper than changing out $500-$700 headers.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
sorry cant comment on the dougs, but if all you need is 1/4-1/2"... just add a spacer to the front coil springs or get new springs. much easier & cheaper than changing out $500-$700 headers.
Yep, you're correct except I mashed the headers and have to buy them anyway so might as well see if I can get some clearance there too. I have 1/4" taller springs for it too but I still need a little more for good measure.

― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 01-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

how bad did you smash them? i'm in the same boat with my 72 firebird. got the same hooker s/c's & i scuffed the passenger side lowest tube on its first drive with short crappy tires, it put a slight dent in the tube but dont think it will affect performance, just scuffed off the ceramic coat, i touched it up with por-20 header paint & will just get some correct taller tires & add a 1/2" spacer.

but if you mashed them up good, by all means look into another header. i think i remember reading a thread on here comparing the 2, & aside form a little clearance gained from a different collector flange orientation, i think the hookers will be about the same as the dougs... if the dougs are 2" tubes also. if they are smaller you should get some clearance. good luck.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im running Dougs D ports on a 2 gen bird. I had to slightly raise (with hammer) the floor board at the bolt flange of the collector for extra clearance. I don't think they could be made with any more ground clearance. Also needed some very minor flattening of the #2 tube over the big sub frame engine cross member. I'm using the stock style Mity engine mounts. I'm pleased with the over all fit and ceramic coating.

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 01-11-2014 at 12:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blued and Painted For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
how bad did you smash them? i'm in the same boat with my 72 firebird. got the same hooker s/c's & i scuffed the passenger side lowest tube on its first drive with short crappy tires, it put a slight dent in the tube but dont think it will affect performance, just scuffed off the ceramic coat, i touched it up with por-20 header paint & will just get some correct taller tires & add a 1/2" spacer.

but if you mashed them up good, by all means look into another header. i think i remember reading a thread on here comparing the 2, & aside form a little clearance gained from a different collector flange orientation, i think the hookers will be about the same as the dougs... if the dougs are 2" tubes also. if they are smaller you should get some clearance. good luck.
I mashed them pretty good and ground the flange clear into the bolt. The bolt is holding by the hair on it's chinny, chin, chin. The clincher was when about a tennis ball size rock was in the road and I couldn't avoid it and it rolled under the header on the drivers side. The rest was done driving over to Seattle on Snoqualmie Pass and it's frost heaves. A normal car only gets a solid mash of the suspension, the TA gets suspended on the exhaust.

I might go with the next smaller tube header but I think with the RAIV style ports on my Edelbrock heads I'm stuck with the big headers.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blued and Painted View Post
Im running Dougs D ports on a 2 gen bird. I had to slightly raise (with hammer) the floor board at the bolt flange of the collector for extra clearance. I don't think they could be made with any more ground clearance. Also needed some very minor flattening of the #2 tube over the big sub frame engine cross member. I'm using the stock style Mity engine mounts. I'm pleased with the over all fit and ceramic coating.

Nice photo! That would do it on my car! I always get confused on this. I have the Edelbrocks with the RAIV style port they are "D" ports, right?

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneasyrider View Post
I always get confused on this. I have the Edelbrocks with the RAIV style port they are "D" ports, right?
RAIV is a round port as well as RAII, 71-72 HO 455 and 73-74SD.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT WHORE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default confusion over shapes

I'd clarify that the Edelbrock RAIV copies, as well as the stock RAII, RAIV, 455HO and SD455 heads require O-port HEADERS.

If you look a the stock exhaust ports on Edelbrock heads, they kinda look like "D"s laying on their side because of the flat bottom of the exhaust port. There is some confusion because of that.

D-port headers are called that because on D-port heads the two center ports look like a couple "D"s back to back. The end ports are ovals.

Confused any more or less?

The Following User Says Thank You to 70pontiaction For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are Dougs available in 2inch?....for A body or F body?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70pontiaction View Post
I'd clarify that the Edelbrock RAIV copies, as well as the stock RAII, RAIV, 455HO and SD455 heads require O-port HEADERS.

If you look a the stock exhaust ports on Edelbrock heads, they kinda look like "D"s laying on their side because of the flat bottom of the exhaust port. There is some confusion because of that.

D-port headers are called that because on D-port heads the two center ports look like a couple "D"s back to back. The end ports are ovals.

Confused any more or less?
Thanks, I get it now. It was exactly what you said that confuses me because I change the gasket and it looks a little "D" shaped but when "they" say "D" they mean the stock side by side "D". Examples below (stock left, RAIV/Hooker Super Comp right):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7171a_3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	349010   Click image for larger version

Name:	large10849HKR.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	349011  

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

About the only other header with more clearance is Tirbal Tubes Tri Ys. I autocrossed my 78 with 23" road race slicks and dropped springs and there was a speed bump in the tech area and I never dented my Hookers.
Pretty sure Hooker and Hedman are the only ones in a 2". Ron is currently starting 2" tri Ys. But most of the 600+ Hp Engine Master motors run 1 7/8. The Cleggs 455 SD Super Stocker that runs in the 9s has Dougs.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
Are Dougs available in 2inch?....for A body or F body?

I bought a set of the Doug`s D522`s for A body. I returned them for the 1 7/8 tubes.

They were an absolute pain in the a$$ to install ON THE STAND. No way I could have done it in the car. They`re not bent the same way as the 1 7/8 tubes. Tried different bolts, head sizes, wrenches, etc. I gave up.

http://dougsheaders.com/search/dougs...eV.asp?id=D522

You can see the #4 and #5 tubes are the problem spots. I wanna say #2 was a bitch too.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any header will get mashed if you drive the car hard, stock springs or lowered. How MUCH it gets mashed is where the concern should be. They generally can go up to half way and basically not effect flow. Or that's what I've been told, and others have agreed.

The hookers and Headmans hang lower on the passenger side than the drivers side. Is it both sides for you that get mashed?

Doug's are even, the way they hang on both side, and are generally tighter against the body.

As mentioned, the Tri-Ys are even closer to the floors.

Slip-on or weld-on collectors would prevent the floor from needing to be dimpled, I did that on mine, but it's

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Senior Chief

Good comments,im going to start my install with my Dougs round ports ,Got them from a member here. Hmm Not to open a can of worms but Skip Fix said ron(tribal tubes) is making 2 primarys ?.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Compromise: Headers on a 2nd gen f-body designed for a little more ground clearance make you loose the linkage for the steering lock/reverse light/neutral switch. I can keep the linkage, but I'm running Dports, hooker super comps w/1.3/4" primaries. If I went Doug's I would gain a little ground clearance at the cost of loosing the linkage... I know you're round port 2" but it seems the same concept would apply.

I use universal poly urithane lower control arm bumper stops that are harder and bigger than stock (cheaper too). That helps a bunch keeping my header off the pavement

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and you can 'fine tune' your ride height with some rubbers between coils. Any you put in there increases the spring rate even if you don't raise the ride height much: more header relief, ish. optimize the front tire size. shocks,poly bumpstops, it all adds up

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look into Mad Dog Headers.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont know if anyone makes the ho racing headers any more but if you can get w ken crocie and find out, they are the best

Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Is anyone running the Mad Dog 2" that can comment on fitment? They look like nice piece.