Old 08-26-2023, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 Gto bench & column shift

relative has a line on a 67 Gto for sale.

Its the vanilla color, black top, black interior bench seat automatic on the column.

I figure 2 ways to see that, rare or less desirable.

I spoke to the owner, its sounds nice and does not need anything other than fluid changes because its been sitting 2 years inside as his health doesnt allow him to drive it. he mentioned $20,000 price range.

what do you all think on price? my first car was a 67 Gto so I do like the idea but I have to admit I'm on the performance side of pontiacs and the what the owner himself called "a grandpas" Gto is not really exciting me.

hes checking to be sure whether his son is interested (wasnt last time he talked he said) then will call and I can see the car. could have seen it already its nearby shockingly, but I don't want to see it unless its truely for sale yet.

Old 08-26-2023, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

Easy to change the seat and column if the buy in price is right. Rare doesn’t make it more valuable.

Old 08-26-2023, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But it sure is nice to have a free hand and seat space to hold your girl closer!

[/url]

Old 08-26-2023, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff that steering wheel is stunning

Old 08-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bench seat column shift wouldn't turn me off. Performance wise, it can be everything a bucket seat console car can be but a little lighter.

Old 08-26-2023, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It doesnt turn me off, I just don't see it as rare though. uncommon more the word I suppose. also my relative is not a car guy at all, he had told me he thought it was a 66 4 speed lol, I like 66 Gto's a bit better because the awesome taillights and more spartan look. so after calling and its a total opposite was a letdown. I had a red 66 4 speed factory close ratio muncie and 3.90 rear. never got to fix that one up and sold it though. always wanted to do a tripower 66.

at this point I don't want it bad enough unless his price gos down where I can't say no. and it might the way he talked. almost pulled the trigger on a 66 lemans for $17,500 that was nice but needed some work and detailing. so any same condition Gto is worth more than that.

he said it has new cragar ss with redline tires on it. prices for all these cars is so high anymore a $20,000 car is the new $10,000 car. or, maybe at 62 i'm just thinking in my era and to chincy to todays thinking. Looking on ebay I think "is anyone really buying these cars"? the prices being asked put the cars in instant behind the 8 ball if bought.

funny thing is, if, being a bench column car this was a tempest I would be all over it. the step up in nameplate throws me off. hope to see it and then i'll know how I feel. fun stuff though.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$20,000 for a 1967 GTO in decent shape is cheap even with a bench seat.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sure it has the 400 in it but is it the two barrel or four? Easy enough to change out. If it is as nice as you say it is I would offer him 15,000. Meet in the middle at 17,500 and drive away happy! I gave $10,000 for my basket case 67 15 years ago.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:15 AM

My 67 has bucket seats and a center console shifter. Image-wise, it fills the muscle car "look"
to which we gravitate. But for daily driving (and dating) this car is tops! The fold down arm rest is great for resting your right arm on trips. When you are cruising, you pop it back up so your honey can snuggle up close. Who is paying attention to the shifter display on the column (it's attached to a TH400, same as a console shifter) when you've got that gorgeous wheel with the 3D deep center cap and race car circular instruments overshadowing it. This interior package was ordered by a guy who liked to be fast on the gas and in his romantic life as well!

Old 08-27-2023, 12:27 AM

I'm interested. I like it . If you decide not to buy it, will you share info with me so I can get in touch with the owner?

Old 08-27-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did not ask him about the engine. I recall years ago learning a 2bbl was possible and could'nt believe it. I'll see if it plays out and yes 15 or 17 grand would be a no brainer. only reason i'm balking on 20+ is the combo just does'nt excite me enough. I would have to put a 455 12 second capable engine in it. my wife loves the color though and what a perfect route 66 car it would be.

sure, if I see it and still don't want it I will ask the owner if he doesnt mind me letting others know its for sale.

he never has advertised it, this was all word of mouth thing. one of those deals where hes a country guy that its just been sitting and would likely never even try and sell it. the way you like to find em. hes proud of the car of course though. he had a 67 Gto in high school same as me.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:18 PM

If the car is as you say it is, I think 20k is a no-brainer in the current market.

Just my opinion,
James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 08-27-2023, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the column shift and bench seat. Years ago, I had a couple of customers with '67's that had that combo, and they were just as fast as any other GTO. If I had it, I wouldn't even think of changing it or pulling the original engine. This car sounds like a survivor car, and, IMO, should be left alone.

Old 08-27-2023, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 Gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
If the car is as you say it is, I think 20k is a no-brainer in the current market.

Just my opinion,
James Q
Its based on what he said it is. I'm just out of the loop on prices. he offered to come see it, but iv'e done that before a car is for sale for certain and it causes real disappointment if it excites me. hate that feelin!

so even if I don't want it, that is should he sell it I will take pictures of it and post em as long as he doesnt mind. I kind of feel like i will be surprised by it and like it. I have been looking for a 66 or 67 tempest/lemans so it would not take much to push that button. here I am talking, and his son may want it yet.

I would keep the original engine of course but see, Pete McCarthy (whom is my all time favorite pontiac guy) said something that has stuck with me for years. he said "if I don't have enough power to shred the tread off a recap, i'm just not happy". thats me. mid 12's power is my minimum.

The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

many years ago I lucked into a 67 that was a tilt column shift and notchback (arm rest) bench.
I sold the entire interior and kept the column for my 67 Tempest Sprint.
Perfect fit for the change to a TH200-4R. I just added another detent for the additional gear.
A buddys Dad bought a 67 new here in town that was auto column and bench but was a 2 bbl.
Add to that it was Linden green totally turned me off.

Old 08-27-2023, 05:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
but I have to admit I'm on the performance side of pontiacs
GTO is the very definition of performance side of Pontiac, no matter column or console. As others have suggested, if the rest of the car is nice, that’s something you could change pretty easily and not adversely affect value.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know about 1967 Gto 670 heads. thats about it.

was there an "HO" 1967 Gto engine? or top performance engine block code? what is the easy spot to look for if so. should it have that chrome pancake louvered air cleaner?

that would make it very interesting if it had the top perf engine. been to long since iv'e had a 67 and don't recall.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like they left you hanging.

1967 H.O. automatic block codes would be YZ or YI. California H.O. engines came with the standard snorkel air cleaner because of smog regulations, but the other 49 states did have the louvered air cleaner. Block and heads looked the same, but the H.O. had the 068 cam and a little stiffer valve springs. Another exterior difference was the exhaust with the H.O. engines getting the H.O./RA cast iron exhaust over the standard log exhaust manifolds. While advertised horsepower wasn't a big jump from 335 to 360, the performance gain was well over a second at the dragstrip.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are worried about spinning the tires don't be. A 400 2bbl should be able to do that with ease. My 1963 389 2bbl Star Chief would burn tires right down to the rim.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Looks like they left you hanging.

1967 H.O. automatic block codes would be YZ or YI. California H.O. engines came with the standard snorkel air cleaner because of smog regulations, but the other 49 states did have the louvered air cleaner. Block and heads looked the same, but the H.O. had the 068 cam and a little stiffer valve springs. Another exterior difference was the exhaust with the H.O. engines getting the H.O./RA cast iron exhaust over the standard log exhaust manifolds. While advertised horsepower wasn't a big jump from 335 to 360, the performance gain was well over a second at the dragstrip.
Thanks for the education. the fella never called me so I assume he decided not to sell. bet I hear again about it though via my relative thats sees him from time to time.

dont get me wrong, the bench and column by no means makes me feel its not a performance Gto. what if its a bench/column with the above HO engine? its eating at me now.