Old 05-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi, I am currently starting my first restoration on my 1972 Pontiac LeMans. I have a couple questions. Any help or ideas is appreciated.

First, I bought a 72 GTO front clip. The hood was covered with surface rust and I took a sander to it. I got the hood to bare metal and it is smooth as it can be but there are black spots which rust was above them. Also, there are pin holes where the rust went too far. I took the vynal top off too and there are sections like this as well. How can I fix this so I am not faced with a new paint job and the hood starts rusting again. I am also 20 so acid-dipping is out of my budget. Any suggestions?

A body shop told me they would cut me a deal and charge $500 labor for putting in 2 1/4 panals if I bought them. Is this a good deal or should I look around?

I bought a GTO front clip as mentioned above. I have the standard LeMans so other than the core support, bumper, headlight sections, valance panal, hood, and fenders, do I need anything else to make this swap?

Heart Of Illinois GTO club member

"This aint no damn Chevelle"

Old 05-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi, I am currently starting my first restoration on my 1972 Pontiac LeMans. I have a couple questions. Any help or ideas is appreciated.

First, I bought a 72 GTO front clip. The hood was covered with surface rust and I took a sander to it. I got the hood to bare metal and it is smooth as it can be but there are black spots which rust was above them. Also, there are pin holes where the rust went too far. I took the vynal top off too and there are sections like this as well. How can I fix this so I am not faced with a new paint job and the hood starts rusting again. I am also 20 so acid-dipping is out of my budget. Any suggestions?

A body shop told me they would cut me a deal and charge $500 labor for putting in 2 1/4 panals if I bought them. Is this a good deal or should I look around?

I bought a GTO front clip as mentioned above. I have the standard LeMans so other than the core support, bumper, headlight sections, valance panal, hood, and fenders, do I need anything else to make this swap?

Old 05-07-2002, 05:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Buy a good set of rubber gloves & apron 1 bottle of muriatic acid.Scrub the darkend areas(these dark areas are oxidzed metal which will pop through a paint job as blister rust down the road)until clean.Neutralize the acid w/straight ammonia.Now find a competent welder to mig weld the holes ( if he's good it can be done with out warpage & minimal grinding).Use prep sol to clean surface,prime and use as little filler as possible (as stated above if the welder is good enough shouln't need any filler)to correct any imperfections.As far as the quarters go 500 is very resonable but i would ask if they are going to lead fill the seams or use bondo.Lead filling usualy raises the price but it comes out better than bondo whitch has a tendancy to swell and distort & crack.

Old 05-08-2002, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$500 a pair 1/4 panel r & r ...well, you get what you pay for.

Old 05-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure if hes going to use bondo or metal to fill in the seams on the 1/4. He's my friend's friend, so I am getting a deal according to him. I just want to do this car right.

The LeMans is straight, Ive driven it for 3 years now doing minor fixes but I just want my baby done to look her best! I bought a 455 and I have a TH400 for it so that will go in place of the 350/TH350. My friends GTO has a 455 and I just love the torque of that thing!