THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Senior Chief

Apples are wonderful for people who do not like computers.

To support friends I have had an Apple IIe, SE30 (HDD), & had to find an Apple III for work. Skipped the Lisa but had a Mac. Now have an obsolete Mac Pro, and a couple of iPads. Also have several 1200, 2400, and 14.4 modems. Amazing what you collect when in the same place for 35 years

Old 12-08-2021, 01:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I liked the internet a lot better 20 plus years ago. A search would net so much more interesting stuff. One off little homegrown websites and the like. Seemed like it was more of a knowledge share back in the day and has degraded the same way eBay and Craigslist has. If you get my drift. I am and always will be an “immigrant” when it comes to tech.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

My domain, 6007.us, dates back to the '90s & has been through several hosting providers.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

Early on, AT&T offered personal web space (60mb?) to their users - so I sat down one night and figured it out. I did the "view source" on sites I liked, and reverse engineered how they did it and then used it for my stuff. Great learning experience. I kept some very interesting tech stuff and pics of disassembled widgets on there. They dropped it and I never even thought of redoing it.`

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 12-08-2021, 03:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
We had a PDP-6 computer which was upgraded to the PDP-10 a few years later.
36 bit word length. That was a LONG time ago.

Tom V.
My first IT job was on PDP-1170's. The 'computer room' was truly that - a raised floor, sealed room with a row of fridged sized PDP's and a seperate row of machines with removable hard disk 'drums'. One of my jobs at the end of each day was to thread on the backup tapes. If nothing else it was impressive looking - I would occassionally bring a friend in and show them around and none of them had seen anything like it.

I never had a real 'passion' for IT but it created a long career for me that has allowed me to do the things I am passionate about.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My initiation into the computer world was a programming course I took in '73. The computer language was Fortran. Programming was creating punch cards which were fed into the 'machine' which then printed the results. Unfortunately I can only remember one assignment. It was to create a simple mathematical program which started at '0'. Each subsequent line was to add '1' to the previous result. The short program was to end at the result of '10'. I can't remember if the program line was to read 'previous result' or the actual value. My program worked well until the last line which was supposed to read 'previous result' (9) + 1 =10. Mine read 'previous result' (9) + 1 = 9. Upon conferring with the prof, he said 'that's odd'. He then went over each of my cards, paying very close attention to my last card. He said he could not find an error in the final punch card. Unfortunately I cannot remember if my program was resolved or I failed the assignment.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ

Last edited by tooski; 12-09-2021 at 12:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A twisty maze of little passages...

I started my career at IBM in 1976. I had no idea how incredible their engineering and network technology was. I took the terminal on my desk for granted even though I started college 4 years earlier with a slide rule.

It was many many years later before I was first shown a web browser...

Boggles me today...