Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-28-2023, 09:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default Upper control arm removal

I used to think electrical problems were the most fun… until now!

Been spending the better part of the afternoon trying to get my 69 LeMans upper control arms removed to make way for a pair of better ones. Beating and banging with the pickle fork hasn’t budged anything. I’ve driven the fork into the joint pretty much as far as it can go.

Is there a trick that I’m missing to get these suckers off, or do I just need to start hitting the gym?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-28-2023, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Air chisel /hammer works good as well if you have access to one. Good Luck and be careful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DOC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Air chisel /hammer works good as well if you have access to one. Good Luck and be careful

Unfortunately my toolbox isn’t that sophisticated

The Following User Says Thank You to Vid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With that pickle fork installed like your picture. You need to smack that ball joint ball stud with a hammer. That will jar it out of it's taper. As mentioned, an air chisel will do that for you in 5 seconds. Make absolutely sure your lower control arm is supported with a floor jack. Some people run a chain and padlock through the spring to the frame for complete safety. As mentioned in the next post you can let the spring help you with a little tension, but have that jack in position for safety.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:09 PM

Do you have a floor jack under the lower control arm taking pressure off the spring? If so, lower it until you have a gap. The spring tension is your friend here. Have you tried a BHF with another BFH as a backup on the spindle flat spots?

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoFM View Post
Do you have a floor jack under the lower control arm taking pressure off the spring? If so, lower it until you have a gap. The spring tension is your friend here. Have you tried a BHF with another BFH as a backup on the spindle flat spots?

I do have a floor jack under the lower control arm and it’s just making contact. Maybe 1/8” lift for support. I’m sorry but not sure what the BFH is.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:31 PM

BFH means Big Friggin Hammer. Leave the castle nut on the ball joint, then hit the side of the spindle where the ball joint passes through. The shock will allow the spring pressure to pull the ball joint out of the seat. You will have to give it a few good whacks.

Hit it right on the flat circular part you see on your first picture. Hit it like you mean it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 62posbonny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62posbonny View Post
BFH means Big Friggin Hammer. Leave the castle nut on the ball joint, then hit the side of the spindle where the ball joint passes through. The shock will allow the spring pressure to pull the ball joint out of the seat. You will have to give it a few good whacks.

Ahhhhh oh yeah thanks now I remember. Yeah I’ve been using the biggest FH I have and it’s a stout piece. I’ll keep fooling with it until it’s off. I suppose it’s best to leave the two frame bolts tight until the ball joint is loose from the spindle?

Old 06-28-2023, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you might have to remove the shock so the full pressure of the spring is applied?

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formula8 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:44 PM

Yes, leave the frame bolts in. Just keep hitting the side of the spindle where the ball joints pass through. Dont try to hit the joint out from the threaded end, hitting the side of the spindle will work for you. Let the jack down until both ball joints release with the castle nuts on, then jack back up, unthread the castle nuts and drop it down and apart.

The Following User Says Thank You to 62posbonny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:46 PM

The shock should be out before any of the above steps are taken.

The Following User Says Thank You to 62posbonny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Have you tried a BHF with another BFH as a backup on the spindle flat spots?
As has been already been posted, if you've spent any time in auto wrecking yards, they also work with a limited amount of tools, this is exactly how they dismantle tapered suspension components.

Here is a link to Stacey David on his show Gearz, showing several methods of splitting tapered suspension components:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JzIdlolfg

There are quite a few videos on You Tube showing budget methods for splitting splindles from ball joints. 95% of the time shocking the joint with a BFH will split them been doing it this way as my profession for decades.

Instead of removing the shock, all you need to do it put a stick of wood between the frame, and the upper control arm to keep tension on the spindle, no need to screw around trying to get rusty shock bolts off. Work smart, not hard........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 06-28-2023 at 11:20 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wild guess: Picklefork is too small, you're hitting the stud instead of wedging the knuckle off of the control arm.

'64--'72 A-body uses a forged-steel steering knuckle. You hit it with a hammer, you stand a chance. I really despise folks who wail on cast-iron steering knuckles, because cast iron has NEVER NEVER EVER been known to crack from abuse. My Trailblazer got "serviced" by one of those guys, he used a hammer to separate the lower ball joint stud in the process of replacing the CV shaft. He raised a burr on the arm that later prevented the proper tool from fitting right when I was replacing lower ball joints. I had to grind down the mess he made before putting it back together.

When it's me, I use a no-damage Front End Service Set, the ball-joint popper is exactly what you need.
https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-39...=3GDOO2DH5X29U

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is also a tool in the shop manuals I bought that is basically like a giant coupling nut and a bolt that fits between the upper and lower ball joints and as you unscrew it ti presses it out sometimes needing a slight ding with a hammer to uses the spring itself also. You leave the nut on until it pops.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of good advice here already and I think you should be able to get it, but one additional option is trying a ball joint separator tool. You can get them at any auto parts store or Harbor Freight. Sometimes they work, other times not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BallJointSeparator.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	615060  

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 02:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Lots of good advice here already and I think you should be able to get it, but one additional option is trying a ball joint separator tool. You can get them at any auto parts store or Harbor Freight. Sometimes they work, other times not.

So today I bought one of these separators, and an air hammer too. I bought the air hammer hoping not to actually need it for the ball joints, but I’ll use it if necessary. It just seems like a great tool to have on hand. Tomorrow I’ll attack the project and post my progress. I can’t thank everyone enough for the kind and knowledgeable advice. I’m very grateful.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Most" air hammers are total crap, and "ALL" air hammers are total crap unless you've got a REAL air compressor.

The typical air hammer has little power, a short stroke, and a bazillion blows-per-minute. They make a lot of noise, and little progress unless you're using them to slice exhaust tubing, or cut sheet-metal.

Good air hammers have more power, longer strokes, but sacrifice the number of blows-per-minutes. They make even more noise, but actually get the job done IF they're supplied with adequate air volume and pressure.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 06:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
"Most" air hammers are total crap, and "ALL" air hammers are total crap unless you've got a REAL air compressor.

The typical air hammer has little power, a short stroke, and a bazillion blows-per-minute. They make a lot of noise, and little progress unless you're using them to slice exhaust tubing, or cut sheet-metal.

Good air hammers have more power, longer strokes, but sacrifice the number of blows-per-minutes. They make even more noise, but actually get the job done IF they're supplied with adequate air volume and pressure.

Thanks. The air hammer I bought is a 4” stroke and cost about $225. I avoided the $39 model figuring it for garbage. My compressor should be adequate for short bursts, 25 gallons or so. If I had more room I’d get a 60 gallon and that’ll happen after my garage addition.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
The air hammer I bought is a 4” stroke and cost about $225. I avoided the $39 model figuring it for garbage.
Specs seem reasonable, and you're right--the $39 model IS garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
My compressor should be adequate for short bursts, 25 gallons or so. If I had more room I’d get a 60 gallon and that’ll happen after my garage addition.
I tried to run my air hammer off of a 20 or 25-gallon single-stage compressor. Worked great for about two or maybe three seconds, and then the compressor had to run awhile to build pressure again. Useless for popping rivets off of ball joints. Probably adequate for ripping sheetmetal or cutting exhaust tubing as long as the cuts aren't extensive.

Things were somewhat better with a 60-gallon single-stage 5 hp compressor. Didn't get "GOOD" until I connected to an 80-gallon two-stage compressor so I could regulate down from the tank pressure, and therefore could keep 90 psi at the tool inlet, with the air hammer running.

Most single-stage air compressors are limited to 120 psi, which delivers about 90 psi to the tool with the tool running, only when the tank is "full". As soon as the tank pressure drops, pressure at the tool drops and it becomes weak. Larger tanks take longer to drain, but it still happens fairly quickly. This is why you need 150+ psi in the tank, so that the tank pressure can drop without losing pressure at the tool because the pressure-regulator compensates.

Old 07-01-2023, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

simple propane torch to heat up the spindle knuckle as evenly as possible it expands the tapered hole and releases the tapered joint, no caveman busted knuckles no buggered up parts ( comes in real handy if re'using parts) works great on tie rods and the likes

on roadkill garage they dont use a fork they hammer the female part of the joint from the side and the shock releases the tapered joint