Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-08-2023, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to look at mine... I never even noticed any Schrader valves. Any pressure would be fluid wouldn't it?
I didn't have any leaks anywhere using the supplied thread sealer.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I bought a QJ last year and very much like it.
Use it for my Firebird, TA, and the DDs.

Only beefs- Teflon tape or sealer, the instructions I received did not include mention of cure time (or did it say look at bottle?) and the bottle didn’t say. My first attempt at setup= leaks. Search YouTube, several videos mention this and apparently 24 hr cure. Then find the manufacturer has a video ( but not the main set up instructional video) which states cure time is 24 hrs (or whatever). Not reasonable imho to expect me to find their separate video with this info; add a note to the instruction or make it painfully clear in every setup video.
Also, the air cylinder Schrader (sp?) valves, not a single air pressure gauge that I own fit well to get an easy accurate reading.
Both good points.

My system came with the liquid sealer but the instructions were written for tape, no mention of sealer at all.

The air cylinders are so small they're finicky. They're so small that small additions or removal of air volume results in big changes in pressure. I used an air compressor but it may be better to use a hand pump, or turn the pressure way down on the compressor.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whew...my memory is shot.. I had to go back and look at the manual as I didn't recall the air valve...but there it is and I checked it off of the checklist.
Carry on...

Old 07-08-2023, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen these, looks nice but really limits access to sides or am I missing something?

Old 07-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It limits access FROM the sides but really only blocks the rocker panel areas. You just have to use a creeper or whatever to get under the car from the front or rear.
Take another look at jhein's photo in post #1. What can he not get to?

Old 07-08-2023, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer a good old bumper Jack! Easy and super safe too!

I guess if you have a big shop, getting access from the front or rear of the car is fine but with limited space, I need to get under the car from the side. I like the block idea that Gach posted a link to. Better than the usual stacks that most people make.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	615577  

Old 07-08-2023, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not trying to talk you into it but look back at my photo in post #12... I don't have a big workspace!...lol. I use one half of a two car garage.
If I'm working on the rear, I nose in, if I'm working on the front, I back in. Also, in that photo I think I only have the lift half up. Hard to tell in the photo but if it's all the way up I can move easily from one end of the car the other without feeling claustrophobic. If the tire is removed I can also easily get in from the side, behind or ahead of the jack.
For the rear end change I was doing it was easier for me to have it a little closer at that stage of the job.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-08-2023 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://youtu.be/T6ufAL5R0mg

Looks like all of the jacks stands did what they were designed to do….l

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 07-08-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell View Post
https://youtu.be/T6ufAL5R0mg

Looks like all of the jacks stands did what they were designed to do….l
Anyone with a lick of common sense can see those wimpy jack stands shouldn’t be used under a big truck. The the size of the stands are completely inadequate, a pair of 6 ton stands are stable enough to handle that truck, forget those 3 ton stands.

I fabricated an entire 3” exhaust system on my ‘64 GTO using 4 of the Harbor Freight 6 ton stands at their full extension, this was 30 years ago. Perfectly safe and stable for the job I was doing, I always shake the car side to side to check.

Only an idiot uses little bitty jack stands under a huge vehicle, the weight rating means nothing if the stands are just physically too small at the base to have any kind of stability.

Useless video.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2023, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That guy is too anal, drives me crazy ! Just get to the point already.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gach For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
They all seem to do the same thing, they try to lower the car after releasing only one of the locking supports.
Sounds remarkably like a design failure, that should generate a Government-mandated and very expensive recall to correct, with payouts for folks already harmed by this product defect.

If only the US Government had a watchdog agency looking out for consumers, instead of lapdog agencies looking out for Big Business.

My low-rise lift has ONE safety-catch, zero problems with one side dropping while the other side stays in place.

Old 07-09-2023, 01:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Sounds remarkably like a design failure, that should generate a Government-mandated and very expensive recall to correct, with payouts for folks already harmed by this product defect.

If only the US Government had a watchdog agency looking out for consumers, instead of lapdog agencies looking out for Big Business.

My low-rise lift has ONE safety-catch, zero problems with one side dropping while the other side stays in place.
I think it's pure operator error, not a defect. Anything that lifts heavy things up is dangerous. Anyone can buy a product and misuse it for a bad outcome. Jacks, jack stands, anything. A person can buy a car that goes faster than they can handle too. Not a defect.

Last edited by jhein; 07-09-2023 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:50 AM
Senior Chief

I can't wait till I move to a shed with a hoist or 2.
Current project,
On stands with house bricks to add a little height.
I gotta make do with what I got , I'm confident it's safe as it's been in the carport for 3 weeks now.
I do like the quick lift .
Need to do some research on that lift
JOHN

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2023, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I think it's pure operator error, not a defect. Anything that lifts heavy things up is dangerous. Anyone can buy a product and misuse it for a bad outcome. Jacks, jack stands, anything. A person can buy a car that goes faster than they can handle too. Not a defect.
If one person had that problem, it'd be operator error.

When multiple people have that error, it's the twit designing the product who didn't think through how folks would fail to release TWO totally-independent safety catches permitting disasterous results. The product should be designed with only one safety catch, or both safety catches get released with one handle or lever, or there's an interlock on the "down" button so it won't go down with one catch still engaged.

This is LAZY, SLOPPY, CARELESS, BRAINLESS engineering of a product intended for D-I-Y (People of the Land. The Common Clay. You know...Morons.) The manufacturer must be punished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYTQ...l=VintageVHSTV

Last edited by Schurkey; 07-09-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
If one person had that problem, it'd be operator error.

When multiple people have that error, it's the twit designing the product who didn't think through how folks would fail to release TWO totally-independent safety catches permitting disasterous results. The product should be designed with only one safety catch, or both safety catches get released with one handle or lever, or there's an interlock on the "down" button so it won't go down with one catch still engaged.

This is LAZY, SLOPPY, CARELESS, BRAINLESS engineering of a product intended for D-I-Y (People of the Land. The Common Clay. You know...Morons.) The manufacturer must be punished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYTQ...l=VintageVHSTV
Well, I guess someone could sue them and see what happens.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually go to the end, that's where the results of the testing are, and choose the best for the money.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The people who safely use jack stands are smarter than the people who use the Quickjack I guess. They have to securely pin FOUR individual units.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I use my Quick Jack I put a jack stand inside the QJ just in case. Fits between the rails and up against the top plate.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just laid out the 2 sections I need to cut out to reinforce my floor for my 12,000 lb. 2 post lift. (needs 5 inches of concrete, I have only 3) It should be a month after the concrete cures I'll have a full fledged operational 2 post lift in my garage..........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
When I use my Quick Jack I put a jack stand inside the QJ just in case. Fits between the rails and up against the top plate.
I will do the same simply because there's no good reason not to. Backup is never a bad idea.

But I still think that the QJ locking mechanism is very secure and main risk is the raising and lowering process, and most all of that risk is user error.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post: